Sign in to follow this  
Boogyman93

DirectX 11 rendering.

I know the DayZ team decided to stick to the Arma II engine and that the engine only has DX9 rendering, but will we ever see a DX11 render option added in the future? No need to add any DX11 effects. Just add the DX11 rendering option to be able to render the game in DX11 for us users who have the hardware.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

As you can see on the Steam Hardware & Software Survey, more than 50% of users have DX11 hardware. Adding a DX11 render to the game would only gives us a small fps boost for free, and we all know how important that is especially in Cherno or Elektro.

I'm not asking for this to be added since I know that adding this to the game would require additional coding to the engine and that takes time. I'm just asking if there is a chance for this to ever be added in the future.

• Like 1

Probably, but remember that Dean is going to be doing a whole revamp to the RV engine's graphics. He will most likely add dual/tri/quad gpu support, DX11, etc..

• Like 1

I know the DayZ team decided to stick to the Arma II engine and that the engine only has DX9 rendering, but will we ever see a DX11 render option added in the future? No need to add any DX11 effects. Just add the DX11 rendering option to be able to render the game in DX11 for us users who have the hardware.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

As you can see on the Steam Hardware & Software Survey, more than 50% of users have DX11 hardware. Adding a DX11 render to the game would only gives us a small fps boost for free, and we all know how important that is especially in Cherno or Elektro.

I'm not asking for this to be added since I know that adding this to the game would require additional coding to the engine and that takes time. I'm just asking if there is a chance for this to ever be added in the future.

The real question would be "what for?", they would have to support both DX9 and DX11 instruction sets if they don't want to make the game DX11 only.

The thing is, they aren't the only devs not bothering with DX11 yet. It's just not worth it unless you absolutely need a specific feature.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

The real question would be "what for?", they would have to support both DX9 and DX11 instruction sets if they don't want to make the game DX11 only.

The thing is, they aren't the only devs not bothering with DX11 yet. It's just not worth it unless you absolutely need a specific feature.

World of Warcraft has DX9 and DX11 since Cataclysm and Blizzard didn't add any DX11 features. And the answer to the "what for?" question is a free performance boost. I got 12fps increase in WoW while in Orgrimmar going from the DX9 render to the DX11 one. And that's a lot seing as how WoW is more of a CPU heavy game.

World of Warcraft has DX9 and DX11 since Cataclysm and Blizzard didn't add any DX11 features. And the answer to the "what for?" question is a free performance boost. I got 12fps increase in WoW while in Orgrimmar going from the DX9 render to the DX11 one. And that's a lot seing as how WoW is more of a CPU heavy game.

Yes but how many people at blizzard work on WoW? Yes there is a potential for free FPS for you, but that means maintaining two distinct rendering paths and potentially gutting sizeable chunks of the rendering code. Companies are usually not keep to poke at this kind of things, especially when the existing code "works just fine".

It's not as simple as looking up every instances of DX9 calls and replacing them with the equivalent DX11 call, that would not net you any performance gain.

If it was me i would have them ditch DirectX for OpenGL but that's opening another can of worm.