Sign in to follow this  
willhelm

Toxic fumes surrounding military bases?

Many of you who played "The last of us" will remember the spores that contaminate certain people in the game, what i suggest bringing to the table is maybe introduce something similar, but only surrounding military base. Of course inhaling these spores would cause a infection, maybe we could stick with Chemical poisoning or maybe even move to a different type of poisoning. 

You may now be thinking "But how do i get passed these spores and get into the military complex?" well it's simple. Resperators/Gas masks, Gas masks obviously being far more effective, although the gas masks in the game ( hope this is subject to change) will only last for about 15minutes before their liability plummets. Which i hope will be some sort of counter that counts down from 15:00 to 0:00.

The other reason as to why i'm bringing this up is that it'll stop server hoppers hopping places like NWAF, Balota,etc, etc. And most COD snipers pulling idiotic trickshots with mosins. 

All-round there are some bad points to this. 

1. Gas masks can only be obtained in military structues, maybe we could allow them to spawn in medical hospitals, firestations ( would be reasonable i guess) etc etc.

2. Respirators wouldn't seriously provide any preventation whatsoever from these harmful gases

and that's all i can think of,. The list above is subject to change due to the fact that others will suggest things

How did the gasses get there in the first place?

Why are you trying to pass off your Last of Us/Rust logic onto DayZ?

This isn't Rust, don't shit on the canon lore.

• Like 2

You're missing one key point... Why?

Why would a country surround a military complex in a gas? Aside from the fact that using chemical weapons on civilians for no reason is rather insane, the gas wouldn't stay in a shape around the airfield. It would disperse into the surrounding landscape, and wash over towns, cities, and would soak into the soil and wildlife, and contaminate water supplies.

• Like 1

No, my first question was not "How can i get in there?" it's "How did the spores/chemicals occur or get there?"

There is no logical reason in the Loore of DayZ that supports this suggestion and will only limit players. The team want no limits if possible.

Yea lacks in realism. DayZ is quite some time after the outbreak. Every toxic that couldve be used to fight against the outbreak wouldnt harm anyone anymore in the time DayZ take action.

Edited by Symon

No, my first question was not "How can i get in there?" it's "How did the spores/chemicals occur or get there?"

There is no logical reason in the Loore of DayZ that supports this suggestion and will only limit players. The team want no limits if possible.

Guess what? Never said it was your bloody first question, re-read what i said.

How did the gasses get there in the first place?

Why are you trying to pass off your Last of Us/Rust logic onto DayZ?

This isn't Rust, don't shit on the canon lore.

Jeez... hostile much? Btw i never even mentioned rust not once in that entire paragraph. Oh and guess what? The last of us and dayz are of a similar genre, apocalyptic, but then again dayz is a simulator so i get where you're going from that.

anyway i see your points, you want a reason? sure, i'll give you multiple scenarios on how those spores appeared

You're missing one key point... Why?

Why would a country surround a military complex in a gas? Aside from the fact that using chemical weapons on civilians for no reason is rather insane, the gas wouldn't stay in a shape around the airfield. It would disperse into the surrounding landscape, and wash over towns, cities, and would soak into the soil and wildlife, and contaminate water supplies.

Erm, what are you compare this gas to? other gases that already exist? 

Yea listen, who said this gas has to actually spread? It could just appear around the Military zombies and stick to them, i understand what you;re saying, and i do agree, but it still doesn't have to represent anything that exists in reality today currently, could be something different.

But anyway onto the different scenarios

1.  Lab experiment gone wrong ( This can also be in towns since zombies also exist there ) (by lab experiment i'm talking about a gas experiment/attempted invention gone wrong)

2. The apocalypse was started by the spores (which would again, not just be in military areas)

3. The maggots that ate rotton flesh and later grow into flies started feeding on infectious flesh and later of course grew into flies which spread the infection by releasing spores

Edited by NevadaDG

i read your post and i agree, it is very similar. And i completely agree with it, the respirator requirements for entering a military base would be very interesting to explore further.

(incase you're wondering here's a short TLDR of what he's talkign about)

Before the military was over run and pushed back they set off chemical weapons in major military bases and airbases, this was ineffective however... to the infected.

- Military zones require respiratory protection to enter safely

Edited by NevadaDG

I acctualy would realy like some use for the resperators and gas masks... But it should be reproducible somehow. Maybe toxic barrels and a crashed plane/ truck? But surrounding a military base completly with toxic stuff sounds kind of strange. I'll give you half a can of beans because I think it should be very well thought of before throwing it into the game. 

:beans:

___

I acctualy would realy like some use for the resperators and gas masks... But it should be reproducible somehow. Maybe toxic barrels and a crashed plane/ truck? But surrounding a military base completly with toxic stuff sounds kind of strange. I'll give you half a can of beans because I think it should be very well thought of before throwing it into the game. 

:beans:

___

I completely agree, i'll look forward to eating that other half of beans

Jeez... hostile much? Btw i never even mentioned rust not once in that entire paragraph. Oh and guess what? The last of us and dayz are of a similar genre, apocalyptic, but then again dayz is a simulator so i get where you're going from that.

anyway i see your points, you want a reason? sure, i'll give you multiple scenarios on how those spores appeared

Yea listen, who said this gas has to actually spread? It could just appear around the Military zombies and stick to them, i understand what you;re saying, and i do agree, but it still doesn't have to represent anything that exists in reality today currently, could be something different.

1.  Lab experiment gone wrong ( This can also be in towns since zombies also exist there ) (by lab experiment i'm talking about a gas experiment/attempted invention gone wrong)

2. The apocalypse was started by the spores (which would again, not just be in military areas)

3. The maggots that ate rotton flesh and later grow into flies started feeding on infectious flesh and later of course grew into flies which spread the infection by releasing spores

You keep changing on us. First you said a gas that surrounds military structures/locations, now you're talking about the infection spore itself, and how it surrounds zombies?

No gas, or airborn spore, will stick in a designated shape when placed in an open area. So whether it's some "experiment gone wrong" or whether it's emitted by flies, it will settle into the earth and into the ecosystem.

You should also make a decision of what you want it to be, saying it could be a chemical weapon, or the virus strand itself, are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and will play out in very different ways, as your character is immune to the zombie virus.

You keep changing on us. First you said a gas that surrounds military structures/locations, now you're talking about the infection spore itself, and how it surrounds zombies?

No gas, or airborn spore, will stick in a designated shape when placed in an open area. So whether it's some "experiment gone wrong" or whether it's emitted by flies, it will settle into the earth and into the ecosystem.

You should also make a decision of what you want it to be, saying it could be a chemical weapon, or the virus strand itself, are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and will play out in very different ways, as your character is immune to the zombie virus.

The reason as to why i keep changing is because i am myself struggling to think of scenarios for this.

I can't exactly make a decision of what i want it to be, i want to see if it is possible to explore both scenarios and examine which is more realistic, that is why i can't make a specific decision 

The reason as to why i keep changing is because i am myself struggling to think of scenarios for this.

I can't exactly make a decision of what i want it to be, i want to see if it is possible to explore both scenarios and examine which is more realistic, that is why i can't make a specific decision 

Well, there isn't really a realistic way to implement this.

In Rust, they implemented radiation around military bases for no reason what-so-fucking-ever lore wise.

And look, the zeds in DayZ aren't dead or infected with some weird spore.

They are living, sentient, demented people, hit with a terrible disease. A virus strand that is submitted via saliva.

Your character is immune. My theory, is that a small amount of people were given vaccines.

Just a theory, but again, you're shitting on the lore.

point is, lifeless sniper fags are annoying. Underground gas leak(When/if rocket follows up on sewers) BOOM, one explanation. All that empty space up north? Nuke zone by hostiles. fallout, everywhere but focused north. "This is DayZ, this is your story" THEN MAKE A STORY AS TO WHY THE GAS IS THERE

Or spores, radiation, or what have you

And how big would the area have to be? 20 kilometer in diameter?

Because, some people will lie down just outside of the zone to shoot at you.

It's not a solution to the problem you mentioned.

It's not realistic.

And personally I think it does not fit in Dayz.

It's a zombie apocalypse, not fallout.

But why?

Why do we need this stuff?

Why can't we not have it, instead?

It adds challange to the game...? Same why you need food and clothes. So you cant just run around and shoot people but also take care of other stuff.

You know what guys, I'm gona leave the rest of this thread alone, I don't currently have the time to think it through nor will I have it soon, sorry folks you're on your own from here on out, try to discuss it a little more though, see if any ingenious ideas come through

Don't put your restricted area into my face ! I just want to rush airstrips for military loot and shoot shoot shoot on everybody as fast as i can !!! This is Dayz, This is the biggest pvp game !!

ho wait  :|

Sorry for the troll :P but i like the idea. I see a documentary a little time ago on what will happen on earth if human suddenly disappeared (same things will happen if everybody die by a virus) A lot of area will be very dangerous (especially near nuclear central and every zone where bio-hazard chemicals are stored) cause they need regular attention to stay conditioned.

for people who want to see it (it's in french) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYHEYWqGBf8

for people who don't speak french, go at 24:50

* but then again dayz is a simulator so i get where you're going from that.

*DayZ is not a simulator, and neither is ArmA. Granted, both are heavily realistic, but they are not actually simulating anything. Take On Helicopters' is a simulation, however. 

1. Lab Experiment Gone Wrong | Would be hard to pass this off for somewhere so rural like Chernarus, and even then doesn't explain why the gas has such a low half-life and is still around at all.

2. The apocalypse was started by the spores | It's heavily implied the survivors' we see in DayZ are immune to the virus, thus it probably wouldn't effect them. If that was changed, then the spores would be everywhere and wearing a mask would essentially be required at all times, which is not something that would be very fun. Additionally, there's no actual evidence the in-game zombies came from a fungal-based infection.

3. The maggots that ate rotton flesh and later grow into flies started feeding on infectious flesh and later of course grew into flies which spread the infection by releasing spores | This is hardly a third reason, because it requires your second one to be true. DayZ infected are not undead, so flies feeding on it would render them immobile, this still wouldn't spread a large toxic gas around everywhere, and it wouldn't even affect immune survivors/

Yea lacks in realism. DayZ is quite some time after the outbreak. Every toxic that couldve be used to fight against the outbreak wouldnt harm anyone anymore in the time DayZ take action.

Hardly, maybe a few months time at most. That may have been enough time for significant number of gases to disperse away, but it's not been a long time, as you can tell by looking at the condition of human infrastructure around Chernarus.