Sign in to follow this  
IshFingers

What's Next?

Hey guys,

So after stumbling across some Let's Plays of DayZ I went ahead and bought the game & have thoroughly enjoyed the past week or so, but I seem to have hit a wall.

The first 20+ hours were exhilarating! The zombies, the loot, the uncertainty, the threat of death looking around every corner, the actual death looming round every corner, the bugs (f@king ladders!), unexplored terrain, broken legs etc. etc. made for a thoroughly engrossing experience, but my current character has somehow managed to survive to the stage where I've got... Well, pretty much everything. Ok, I could do with a couple more attachments to my gun but for what it's worth it feels like there's little reason.

And this leads to the crux of my post: Where do I go from here? Zombies don't pose a threat to me, I've sufficiently geared up (food, meds, guns, ammo etc.) and, granted I've not explored the entire map yet, I feel I need another 'goal'.

I don't seem to be coming across many other players - Most servers I've played on have a population of 20-25 and even in the bigger cities/'danger zones' I can count one hand the amount of times I've encountered another player, and even then only twice has there been any meaningful interaction: once axing off zombies chasing some random guy and the other being shot in the back (I think!) looting a fire station.

Am I missing something? Is there somewhere I should be heading? What would you recommend I do next? I'm half-tempted to suicide & go through the motions again for what it's worth.

PS: I've not got a headset -yet-. Buying the game was something of an impulse buy, but if it adds to the enjoyment of the game I have no problems picking one up. Is it worth it?

PPS: Also well-aware there's a lot missing from the game as it stands, but am reading stories of people surviving for days/weeks: What do these guys do to keep entertained?

Get on servers with more people, human interaction is where the fun is at. Also if you have a buddy or two you can play with, definitely more fun.

It has been said over and over again "dont buy this game yet, if you are not interested in the game development process".

It has been said over and over again "dont buy this game yet, if you are not interested in the game development process".

What? He's not complaining, he's just asking if there's anything else left to do in the game at the moment.

Be nice.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 3

Play with friends, try out experimental branch (you can switch back to stable any time), or take a break until some new features come in and play something else for a while.

• Like 1

He is not complaining about anything he is just acknowledging that the game is in development. 

As weedmasta said get on more populated servers and play with friends. Also having a mic makes it even better because if you have to decide if you want to type or shoot someone its going to be easier to just shoot at them and not risk getting killed while you type

Ignore my last post please, Im a bit irritated today.

OP just "create" tasks for yourself eg finding a long range scope, equipment of some sort.

Im a bit irritated today.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

I laughed to tears :D

Edited by So Sexy

Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

Currently in the process of trying to get a couple of friends on board. Definitely agree company would add to the experience. Also feel getting a headset is inevitable in the near-future, considering your responses.

Currently heading North along the coast with the intent to bump into somebody to 'assist' (in my mind, snipe off zombies from a distance whilst other player is stood thinking "wtf?") - alas not seen anybody yet. But I guess I've found something to do :).

I can see this game has real potential - I think gamers have been quietly screaming out for something like this for a long time. Here's hoping in 2 years time we've got a real gem on our hands!

Hey guys,

So after stumbling across some Let's Plays of DayZ I went ahead and bought the game & have thoroughly enjoyed the past week or so, but I seem to have hit a wall.

The first 20+ hours were exhilarating! The zombies, the loot, the uncertainty, the threat of death looking around every corner, the actual death looming round every corner, the bugs (f@king ladders!), unexplored terrain, broken legs etc. etc. made for a thoroughly engrossing experience, but my current character has somehow managed to survive to the stage where I've got... Well, pretty much everything. Ok, I could do with a couple more attachments to my gun but for what it's worth it feels like there's little reason.

And this leads to the crux of my post: Where do I go from here? Zombies don't pose a threat to me, I've sufficiently geared up (food, meds, guns, ammo etc.) and, granted I've not explored the entire map yet, I feel I need another 'goal'.

I don't seem to be coming across many other players - Most servers I've played on have a population of 20-25 and even in the bigger cities/'danger zones' I can count one hand the amount of times I've encountered another player, and even then only twice has there been any meaningful interaction: once axing off zombies chasing some random guy and the other being shot in the back (I think!) looting a fire station.

Am I missing something? Is there somewhere I should be heading? What would you recommend I do next? I'm half-tempted to suicide & go through the motions again for what it's worth.

PS: I've not got a headset -yet-. Buying the game was something of an impulse buy, but if it adds to the enjoyment of the game I have no problems picking one up. Is it worth it?

PPS: Also well-aware there's a lot missing from the game as it stands, but am reading stories of people surviving for days/weeks: What do these guys do to keep entertained?

Yes my friend, a mic is a crucial part of this game... Buy one asap!!!

As others have already said:

1. Get a mic.

2. Convince some friends to get the game.

Those two things will change the game for you a great deal. In the absence of things to accomplish, imagination will become your fun. Interacting with other people (positive or negative) keeps things exciting, and if you haven't seen the whole map there's a lot for you to see. My friends and I spent the better part of a day (like 8 hours) just making a big circle around the map and visiting things we wanted to see (i.e. castles).

okay, so here's what you do:

1) strip down to your undies

2) sprint through a large town

3) yell "Take Me!"

4) repeat