Goose Springsteen

Do you in any way regret this mods sudden rise of popularity?

Hey Guys,

First of all I want to make clear that I am very happy that Rocket and his fantastic team have created something which is becoming nothing short of an internet sensation. With coverage on websites like Kotaku, Rock Paper Shotgun, and PC Gamer there has been a massive influx of players and ARMA Combined Operations has shot to the top of the steam sales charts.

But I must say that now looking at the dozens of full servers I do lament the loss of the feeling of community I had when I first played this mod about a month ago. It was our little secret that we were lucky enough to have stumbled across and with less than ten servers to choose from you really started to forge relationships with players you'd see on a daily basis who you didn't even intending to bump into just by virtue of the communities small size.

Do any of the other "veterans" (yes I dare to use that term :P!) feel the same? I'm excited by the possibilities but it feels to me that we have seen the end of something in the beginnings of this mods "mass" appeal.

Nostalgia in the space of a month this must be a new record eh? ;)

A wee bit. By rule of thumb, more players = higher chance of griefers/exploiters/hackers...and that just ruins the game for all.

Ive also just encountered a power-tripping server admin who rules his server like a dictator.

That it is getting popular means it has potential. Only downside is connecting and joining a server cause the main servers just cant handle all the requests.

It was just a matter of time before it exploded. Game is too good to be ignored by the masses. Best game I have played in years :)

DayZ has not compromised ArmA's mil-sim gameplay, people just want to try something else than mainstream MW clones.

No, not at all, and I have never felt that way about any game.

More people enjoying the game just means more people for me to enjoy it with! Funnily enough, the majority of jerks on servers are ones I recognise from release. New players might be bad, they might be slow to learn, but they're generally nice and easy going.

It also makes me laugh when I see players who've never played Arma II before act elitist for playing a mod for a month. ;)

More is better.

I'm stoked that your mod has taken off so much in the last few weeks.

If anything I'd love to see more servers go with the beta build of OA. I think there's only 5-6 out there right now.

I wonder if this mod will spark any interest in actual ArmA. Or even ACE mod.

Either way, the popularity of this mod just showcases that publishers aren't necessarily good for gaming. They push developers to create games that're mediocre, rushed and derivative. What the world needs right now is something to make gamers think. Then the quality of games as a whole will start to increase and I"m all for that.

It annoys me a little but only as I can't get on any bloody servers!

I'm so obsessed with this mod that I get up between half 7 and 8AM (GMT) so that I can actually play it. However, since so many people are giving it a go (and rightly so) I still can't.

I've never seen a mod become this popular in such a short time, ever. I mean, I where already playing ArmA OA (mostly domination) when i just stumbled over a DayZ server while browsing for other servers. Needless to say, I had to check it out. Now, two weeks later, I've learned the game a lot more (and still learning), while forming a group that has grown to 15 players in just 3 days(!)

I'm here to stay :)

No' date=' not at all, and I have never felt that way about any game.

More people enjoying the game just means more people for me to enjoy it with! Funnily enough, the majority of jerks on servers are ones I recognise from release. New players might be bad, they might be slow to learn, but they're generally nice and easy going.

It also makes me laugh when I see players who've never played Arma II before act elitist for playing a mod for a month. ;)

[/quote']

Well I can quite honestly assure you that I've possessed ARMA 2 for a good deal longer than a month if that accusation was directed towards me :/?

New players are no better or worse people than anyone else, the point iI was making was the mass influx of players has in my eyes changed the way I (and I assume others) associate with fellow survivors and play the game, just through weight of numbers.

Today ive seen some disgusting behavior on chat. Bordering xbox-live.

Well I can quite honestly assure you that I've possessed ARMA 2 for a good deal longer than a month if that accusation was directed towards me :huh:

Nono! Not at all, sorry if you saw it that way.

Well I can quite honestly assure you that I've possessed ARMA 2 for a good deal longer than a month if that accusation was directed towards me :huh:

Nono! Not at all' date=' sorry if you saw it that way.

[/quote']

Fair enough I thought it might have been a sly dig! :blush:

Today ive seen some disgusting behavior on chat. Bordering xbox-live.

It happens. Sadly you have the ones that only join the servers and spam custom sounds. I got a recording of a guy on "Chicago 7" yesterday that where pissing off the whole server.

Which reminds me to upload that thing.

This will really boost the arma3 release.

The persistant database mode opens up a whole new range for mod makers.

Got to be excited for BIS.

Im one of the new guys, and imo, it can only help the mod even if its in early stages.

Being one of the new guys, I can't be mad for other people enjoying this mod but I can't get on a damn server at 10 am EST! But, it's one of those mods that are that good and I'm going to keep trying to get in!

I came just before the influx of new people (I think there were 12 servers) and suddenly, 2 days later, there were what, like 50 servers?

The reason its so popular is that Rocket and his Super Best Friends have hit almost all the right notes, giving people an experience many of us have craved forEVER. FOREVER. forevveerr. (The Sandlot reference).

So, what you have is a very large community of very enthusiastic individuals all shouting, "shut up and take my money!!" to Bohemia, Rocket and the various server owners. That can't ever be bad. Unless those individuals are Nazis. Which I am fairly sure we aren't.

I've been playing ARMA II since release, and I've been enjoying the series since Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

And it has always annoyed me how little attention the series has got. Partly due to the two last titles buggy releases (The press doesn't seem to care that bugs get fixed, and assume that all companies are like Dice and the others.) Bohemia Interactive have ALLWAYS listened to it's community, and they treat us in a very good way. No other game company around are so focused at costumer service as they are. It's a shame that Codemasters own the trademark operation flashpoint.

DayZ IS arma II. A large portion of what makes this mod great, is the ARMA II engine. I hope for a few things in ARMA III, a few things that has been lacking since Operation flashpoint. A good campaign, and more focus towards making it easier to learn how to master the game. Operation Flashpoint, in addition to being one of the best games gameplay wize, also had an amazing story and a thrilling campaign. ARMA III needs that.

My point is, I would love if DayZ become even more popular. Popular to the extent that other game companies noticed. I would love for ARMA III to steal away a great chunk of Battlefield and COD's costumers, enforcing companies into making better games. Dropping the whole "hold the players hand, and feed him with achievements and unlockables every few seconds" thing.

For me, the industry has gone down a drain pipe the last decade. OFP was mainstream back in the day, with good sales. From that point on, it was a downwards spiral, with a few exeptions here and there. I hope that ARMA III might change that, and DayZ is contributing to that goal, in addition to being a great mod.

I also hope that DayZ makes alot of the new players also try out ARMA II and hopefully other mods like ACE and ACRE. ACRE especially have transformed my gaming experience. There is still nothing more fun than an intense COOP battle with ACRE and JSRS sound mod!

What I feel DayZ has achieved, is to show the enormous potential in the ARMA II engine to the main stream. I have heard no complains about graphics, it's all about a brilliant gameplay experience for thousands of new players of the series. I highly, highly welcome you all, and by far urge you to try out regular ARMA with some friends. ARMA is best served coop though, keep that in mind. It's not a game to join if you want to run solo in a multiplayer environment. Cooperation is the key for success.

But yeah, I think DayZ is brilliant. What it adds is really mind blowing, and with only slight adjustments to the core game, achieves an atmosphere completely different from the core game.

Bohemia always delivers. ARMA III will be great, I can guarantee it. I hope alot of you who resently joined, get to experience that too.

So to sum it up. I welcome all of the new players from the buttom of my heart, and I surely hope that at least a few of you are going to pick up regular arma gameplay as well. It is, by far, a blast.

biggest problem i see is patching, they used to bring 5 patch a day but now they cant so I have to play with no zombies since 1.5.5

As one of the "new players" I was obviously happy for the press.

I reinstalled arma2, found these forums and joined right after reading an article on Kotaku.

I disagree with the part about loss of community. A community only loses its "feel" if new people aren't welcomed in and both shown the way AND allowed to bring along their own particular way of "being".

It's your job to help us along the way, answering our questions and listening to what we have to say.

You will find that if you support new players like myself you will find the community will instead flourish.

Granted that doesn't mean I wouldn't drop you like an ugly girlfriend if you come running at me with your gun pointing at me....just because you answered my questions :D

At this stage everybody is naysaying and doomsaying and sycophanting their way around Chernarus like nothing else. I like all the new players, I just don't like the turbulence of the new players in game. I had someone try to shoot me from 200 meters away with a Makarov (I was in a deer stand with an M24). I almost felt like telling him to go away and find something better before I pink-misted him. I've observed four people fall off the same ladder (again with the Makarov in hand) and die like a Deer Stand was the road to Basrah. I think I'll just be happy when the majority of players have reached a level of understanding and awareness that people stop asking if the five bandits in Cherno are friendly, or how to eat food, or open a door, or get a drink etc etc.