Sign in to follow this  
TEST_SUBJECT_83

Adding a block mechanic to DayZ

EDIT: Meant to put this in suggestions. Move if necessary. Thanks

So blocking, should it be added to DayZ and how if it were added be implemented?

Now that the melee stance has been changed and blocking (not that it did much) is gone it got me thinking, "what if they added blocking to dayZ?"

I was thinking that we should have a way to defend ourselves against being punched or attacked with a melee weapon. 

I don't like the fact that when I'm being punched the only thing I can do it either take it and punch back, or retreat.

I think a way to block would not only help defend you from damage, but help melee combat in general from being so lacking and quite boring really.

How would it be implemented?

I was thinking that you would be able to block at any time with anything in your hands or not.

But the effects to you may be different depending on what is in your hands.

If you have a rifle in your hands you would just lift it up defensively and your weapon would take the damage.

It would of course take a lot of hits to ruin a weapon, but you would have to keep in mind that you are slowly degrading your weapon by blocking with it.

If you are empty handed you would just block by raising your fists in front of your head and take only part of the damage instead of the whole amount.

You could also use things like books and bags of rice to reduce the damage you would take as well, of course your rice may go from pristine to worn after a fight, but that has no real negative effect other than for realism. Of course if that rice was already badly damaged then it may get ruined therefor not edible any longer.

I was thinking that it could be a separate key that you could bind to whatever, but having it by default Ctrl+RMB may be a good fit for immediate use in game allowing you to use it quickly.

But, I thought that removing the zoom(RMB) while your fists or weapon is raised and replacing it with block would be the best way to go.

I mean do we really need to be able to zoom while having your fist out or weapon raised?

Your not going to be scouting ahead when you have an axe raised or when you are ready to punch someone, so once you hit spacebar and your fists or melee weapon is raised RMB would go from zoom to block.

What do you all think?

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 3

Something that was talked about a lot during the development of the mod was a shove mechanic, some way to shove zombies and players. I fully supported this, and I think a natural extension of that idea is also the ability to hold up your hands or objects defensively.

Have some beans, sir.

Something that was talked about a lot during the development of the mod was a shove mechanic, some way to shove zombies and players. I fully supported this, and I think a natural extension of that idea is also the ability to hold up your hands or objects defensively.

Have some beans, sir.

Thanks, I actually did mention holding up objects to use defensively.

Hopefully they will look into this when the new melee attack animations/angles, whatever you call it, are out.

Thanks, I actually did mention holding up objects to use defensively.

I know, sorry. I was just mainly here to also pitch to you the idea of a shove mechanic. Don't worry I read all your post and I agree with it. :D

I know, sorry. I was just mainly here to also pitch to you the idea of a shove mechanic. Don't worry I read all your post and I agree with it. :D

No need to apologize, lol.

I like the shove idea as well. I think it would add to the game in a positive way for sure.