Sign in to follow this  
crazykage

Proposed name for an as yet unnamed town in the far NW...

Town name proposal (странно город)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. This town should be named "странно город"

• YEA!
    • NAY!

First, read this thread and get up to speed on all relevant information, so that you understand why this is being proposed:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/177372-new-town-nw/

Done? Ok.

My comment from that thread, transcribed here:

странно город

That is to say, "Oddington" in Russian.

I typed "oddington" into google translate, but it didn't work. So I separated the word into "odd", and "ington". "странно" means odd. Sadly, "ing" does not translate into russian, so I took the basic meaning of "ington" and assumed it referred to a city, or pollis, and instead typed in "town", which gave me "город", which, according to google translate, relates to "city, town, place, borough, burg".

Hence, странно город.......

I hereby move that this^ be made the official, in game name of this town, in honor of its first officially declared discoverer, Sgt. Oddball.

All in favor, respond to the poll with a "YEA".

All against, respond with a "NAY".

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 1

Oddington doesn't sound particularly 'Chernarus'. :p

I'd think something more along the lines of 'Oddvask' or 'Odersk' would be be more fitting whilst also giving the finder a nod.

Oddington doesn't sound particularly 'Chernarus'. :P

I'd think something more along the lines of 'Oddvask' or 'Odersk' would be be more fitting whilst also giving the finder a nod.

"Oddington" doesn't, no.

But странно город does. Its Russian. All of the city/town names are Russian, and all of them translated into English mean something. For example Stary and Novy Sobor means "old" and "new" "cathedral" respectively.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you get the point I'm driving at here. I could call it 'enormous donkey wing-wong' and translate it into Russian and it would look and sound Russian, but as soon as you translated it (which pretty much anyone who doesn't read Cyrillic would have to do), it's still going to be 'enormous donkey wing-wong'.

A majority of people generally aren't going to be looking at/reading/speaking the name of the town in Russian, they're going to be using the translated name - when you've got 'Chernogorsk', 'Msta', 'Elektrozavodsk', 'Vybor' and so on, 'Oddington' is going to look distinctly out of place.

EDIT: Let's not forget that we're also dealing with a playerbase that cried their eyes out when the mod added some new skins for the food items that gave subtle shout-outs to the moderating teams here and on reddit. If you're going to change/add something so that it's a shout-out to something outside DayZ, you'd better make it a good one, because apparently, there's a small but vocal proportion of the audience that hate it.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 1

странногород, or as written in latin alphabet: strannogrod  sounds awesome to me :)

• Like 1