bad_mojo (DayZ)

Would you play a game with real permadeath?

Totally a hypothetical discussion here. I don't want to turn DayZ into this, I'm just curious how people would feel about a survival game like DayZ that had real permadeath.

For example, a survival game like DayZ, free to play for argument sake. Except when you died, your account gets deleted. Maybe have an invitation system for the game, like beta invites, so people would have to apply and wait to be accepted. This way people can't just create a new account every death and instantly get back in. They could eventually get back in, but it wouldn't be quick or easy.

Would you be willing to play a game like this and risk not being able to play if you died?

It would have to be a REALLY addictive game for me to go through with that sort of trouble. So in all likelihood, no.
Though I'm really not sure what you're getting at with this question.

I'll assume this isn't an elaborate troll attempt and answer.

No.

It would kill any kind of player interaction and most of the population would crawl around in the trees all the time avoiding anything and everything that might injure them.

Bubble-Wrap: The Game.

• Like 3

only if it's a really addcitive game, co-op and f2p of course...would not pay for that 

It would need to be a free game, because nobody would buy a game like that.

No.

There are other ways to punish players for playing recklessly.

hmmm a little to harsh certainly nothing i would pay for but hey a game with a more punishing perma death like system i could go for 1 hour lock out after death etc. Sure if its good..

But then i am probably a touch crazy ( who am i kidding im stark raving mad)

Thinking on this, the whole idea of hardcore mode/Ironman/ect in most games is to make you live and die by every consequence to every action you take, and walking away with stories to tell about the journey of your pathetically masochistic endeavor.  Mechanics that stand between that and the player seem.... counterproductive to the experience as I perceive it.

I enjoy playing a number of rogue-likes, where death can reset dozens of hours of play, if that counts.

• Like 1

There was an ios game like that called...you onl...wait it was One Life to Live...I think.

It's a basic platformer where you just had to make the jumps. If you died...that was it. You'd have to delete it because it was wasted space at that point.

I played it...messed up the first jump because I hadn't a feel for the control. 20 min download for 15 seconds of "fun"

meh. Not into it.

Totally a hypothetical discussion here. I don't want to turn DayZ into this, I'm just curious how people would feel about a survival game like DayZ that had real permadeath.

For example, a survival game like DayZ, free to play for argument sake. Except when you died, your account gets deleted. Maybe have an invitation system for the game, like beta invites, so people would have to apply and wait to be accepted. This way people can't just create a new account every death and instantly get back in. They could eventually get back in, but it wouldn't be quick or easy.

Would you be willing to play a game like this and risk not being able to play if you died?

No. I doubt after very much time anyone would be playing.

No. Real permadeath in that sense does not constitute fun for me. Can you imagine the campers? The people who would do nothing but sit and snipe players in their first five minutes of the game, just for the sheer trolling joy of knowing they ruined someone's entire day like that? Nope. Nope. NOPE!

• Like 1

I enjoy playing a number of rogue-likes, where death can reset dozens of hours of play, if that counts.

Rouge-likes, tasted perma death and got hooked back in the late eighties...now I'm shoveling dayz crack cakes.

Would totally play a game with perma death or some seriously nasty painful death penalties.

Well you could set it up as when you die you can't join that server again or something.  You can't server hop, and when you join a server that's the only server you can play on that server until you die.

That way societies could form and people work together, but if someone dies there's no going back, but they can go to a different server and start again.

Currently DayZ isn't really permadeath, since you can go back to your stuff and still play with your friends no matter how many times you die.  It's just a very punishing death.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.

I guess my own preference wouldn't even be true permadeath, I would be willing to go without playing for the sake of the game. A game with virtual populations or something. The next one only opens up when the population of the first gets low. Kind of like a poker tournament where you have to sign up before it starts, but once it starts, no more signups until it's over.

I think that a consequence would really throw a wrench in the players mindset while playing. Are you really going to kill someone and risk being killed yourself? Wouldn't it be hard to watch someone die knowing they're done for good?

Obviously the game would have to be developed with this in mind. We couldn't just throw this into DayZ and expect it to work. You would have to be able to familiarize yourself with the game world and controls in a safe environment and people would have to be made more resilient, among many other things. But, I think I would be willing to play a game with some form of perma-death, maybe even pay for the privilege.

Well you could set it up as when you die you can't join that server again or something.  You can't server hop, and when you join a server that's the only server you can play on that server until you die.

That way societies could form and people work together, but if someone dies there's no going back, but they can go to a different server and start again.

Currently DayZ isn't really permadeath, since you can go back to your stuff and still play with your friends no matter how many times you die.  It's just a very punishing death.

I give you beans, because you understand.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess my own preference wouldn't even be true permadeath, I would be willing to go without playing for the sake of the game. A game with virtual populations or something. The next one only opens up when the population of the first gets low. Kind of like a poker tournament where you have to sign up before it starts, but once it starts, no more signups until it's over.

I think that a consequence would really throw a wrench in the players mindset while playing. Are you really going to kill someone and risk being killed yourself? Wouldn't it be hard to watch someone die knowing they're done for good?

Obviously the game would have to be developed with this in mind. We couldn't just throw this into DayZ and expect it to work. You would have to be able to familiarize yourself with the game world and controls in a safe environment and people would have to be made more resilient, among many other things. But, I think I would be willing to play a game with some form of perma-death, maybe even pay for the privilege.

There actually is a way to do it, you make a world sufficiently large (large enough that it would take an extremely long time to walk from one side to the other, if even possible), with no map and no global communications. When you die, you respawn with nothing at a random place on the map.

The problem is that such a game would not allow playing with friends, so you would need a friendless player base.

Epic can you suggest this on reddit lol id ask for it to go to the hardcore side of the hive lol.. This solves so many problems with one stroke ( well at first thought it does id be willing to try it ..)

Apart from the playing with friends thing but then hey they could suicide to join you lol..

Edited by SoulFirez

There actually is a way to do it, you make a world sufficiently large (large enough that it would take an extremely long time to walk from one side to the other, if even possible), with no map and no global communications. When you die, you respawn with nothing at a random place on the map.

The problem is that such a game would not allow playing with friends, so you would need a friendless player base.

You just described DayZ for a new player.... lol

• Like 2

Why isn't every day life (outside of detroit and chicago) like dayz? Because we have laws and punishments. If I were to handcuff one of you and force disinfectant down your throat, i'd go to jail for murder. That being said I probably would, but there would have to be some serious rammifications for anyone that murdered, stole, or assaulted and got caught

The issue here is, upon death, you're forced to go do something else.

Perma-death, DayZ style, is as far as it can go without destroying what a video game is supposed to be.

Epic can you suggest this on reddit lol id ask for it to go to the hardcore side of the hive lol.. This solves so many problems with one stroke ( well at first thought it does id be willing to try it ..)

Apart from the playing with friends thing but then hey they could suicide to join you lol..

Well I don't think I'd want DayZ to turn into that, or at least not exclusively, since I do like the features the public hive provides.  This is really just the only way I see multiplayer permadeath working.

There would be complications and things to be monitored, specifically servers as they'd probably have to be officially hosted and recycled as the population flows from one server to another.  It would be a lot of monitoring and changing to make sure that servers weren't dying off.  It could work, but yeah, nothing comes without complications.

• Like 2

Well I don't think I'd want DayZ to turn into that, or at least not exclusively, since I do like the features the public hive provides.  This is really just the only way I see multiplayer permadeath working.

There would be complications and things to be monitored, specifically servers as they'd probably have to be officially hosted and recycled as the population flows from one server to another.  It would be a lot of monitoring and changing to make sure that servers weren't dying off.  It could work, but yeah, nothing comes without complications.

Damn you and your reasonable logic lol .. I am just so sick of server hoppers and would like death to have more sting to it in regards to collecting your own loot...

Every time you die you need to buy it again.  :thumbsup: That's a thrill. 

It would need to be a free game, because nobody would buy a game like that.

No.

There are other ways to punish players for playing recklessly.