Sign in to follow this  
Caboose187 (DayZ)

Pristine, worn, damaged, badly damaged and ruined. What do they actually mean?

Aside from pristine (perfect condition) and ruined (utterly destroyed), what are the other status's going to be for?  Will they change the probability for the item to work?

Examples: Worn - 25% chance of failing

Damaged - 50% chance of failing

Badly Damaged - 75% chance of failing

And how does this work for food?  Food can't really fail so would there be more of a chance you could get sick from eating worn to badly damaged food?

Edited by Caboose187

The progression of each status brings you closer to ruined.

Once ruined, the item is useless.

That's what each status is for.

From what I've noticed, A pristine buttstock will out shoot a damaged one any day, Same goes for foregrips.

Some people also claim that damaged food gives less nutrients and such.

Well I understand that for weapon attachments, which I should have mentioned in my post, my bad.  I'm more talking about items tho.  Will they have any effect on how the item behaves?

The amount of damage they absorb is directly related to their condition...

Your motor bike helmet absorbs more of the damage when its pristine than when its damaged.  Your ballistic helmet can take one round from a mosin leaving you unconscious for a minute or two but otherwise unharmed ONLY if its pristine, otherwise you will take some damage.  A Jacket or vest will absorb damage from a zombie causing it to degrade further.  

And all items loose their color and become faded as they wear down making camouflage less effective. 

That's it for now... could be that in the future badly damaged clothing has a chance to drop an item or something... who knows.

My guess is that for most items the statuses are placeholders for deleterious effects that will be added later. Such as: percentage of being sickened by badly damaged food over pristine, etc. Just a guess, though. With other items it's also obvious: compasses are much harder to read the worse they are. Once they add in more complex health and sickness, survival aspects like that, we may see these things carry concrete meaning in game.

Each case is item specific. Bandages that are badly damaged have a higher chance then pristine ones to get you an infected wound. Food is less nutritious, and so on. Clothing protects you less the more damaged it is etc.

From what I've noticed, A pristine buttstock will out shoot a damaged one any day, Same goes for foregrips.

Some people also claim that damaged food gives less nutrients and such.

I have noticed no difference in MOA from a pristine MP buttstock to a badly damaged one, but that was 2 weekd ago. Did it recently change?