Sign in to follow this  
Torothin

Ok: Having an SSD makes this game have 100x better performance

I decided to move this game to a SSD and man what an increase in performance.  I am talking about joining servers in under 20 seconds as opposed to 2-10 minutes.  And the FPS...  Crazy!

a SSD doesn't increase your FPS

Edited by Odahviing
  • Like 9

Nothing to do with ssd. Maybe your old hdd was dieing or something. It reads writes faster, but its all to gpu and cpu..

Edited by Nienko

I decided to move this game to a SSD and man what an increase in performance.  I am talking about joining servers in under 20 seconds as opposed to 2-10 minutes.  And the FPS...  Crazy!

Can you maybe share with us your specs? I've been thinking for a while now that it might be rig-dependent. (ie. if your computer is seriously bottlenecking at the hdd or something, this might give you an increase, otherwise no).

Primary: SSD
Secondary: HDD

my Steam is installed on my HDD. I moved DayZ over to my SSD with "steam mover". The only thing SSD's increase, is improved loading times :-) 

• Like 1

SSD has nothing to do with FPS.

You need 2-5 min to join a server? WTF how slow is your computer? Better buy a new HDD and test things our again.

Its been a fact, for many years, ALL RV ENGINE GAMES perform better on an SSD.
Im not talking about FPS improvement, but general improvements such as loading times, texture loading in general, less stuttering, less "FPS Spikes" and in general alot of users have reported a more "smooth" gameplay experience.

I can only recommend a fast SSD for any game, which runs on the RV engine, simply because of all the direct reading the engine does, from the HDD/SSD.

But people saying it has no effect, either arent doing it right, or have a "crap system" which makes the SSD not perform to its full potential.

It will improve gameplay performance, theres 1000's of examples, on this forum, BI's own forum, reddit and tons of other places on the webs.

Nothing to do with ssd. Maybe your hd was dieng or something. It reads writes faster, but its all to gpu and pcu..

Ohh you are so very wrong my friend :)
Its quite obvious you have no idea how the RV engine works.

It requires a fast CPU and a fast HDD/SSD to run well. the GPU isnt really important.
If your settings are on low, it will run primarly on the CPU, if you set them to high it will change to the CPU, this is the way the engine works.
And no matter what you do, it does a shitload of reading directly from the HDD, effectivly not using more then 500-1000mb of ram. This is also the reason it wont help much to re-write it to x64, and its the exact reason they arent gonna do it.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 5

Movement has been increased since moving to an SSD.  There are pretty much zero jolts as opposed to my HDD.

My Rig:

i7

8 GB RAM

7850?  RADEON Saphire

I am convinced that more has been improved than just load times.  Overall game play has as well.

ok. Gonna try it out tomorrow or when I return from Thailand :D

Didn't know that RV Engine can use this. Usually games on SSDs are quite useless, the only benefit is loading time.

Edited by RoterBallon

I am convinced that more has been improved than just load times.  Overall game play has as well.

And you are far from alone in this, its been confirmed by 1000's of others, in both Arma 2, Arma 3, Take On Helicopter/Mars and now DayZ.

It makes the game run smoother and in general respond better.

Most people still have the same FPS though, but it just feels and runs better then a regular HDD.

• Like 1

Personally, I JUST got done upgrading my PC.

Went from an AMD sapphire HD 7770 (which was starting to have issues) and 4 gigs of ram, to adding an extra 8 gigs, and upgrading the GPU to an AMD R9 270x 2gb.

SIGNIFICANT increase in performance and appearance. I noticed right away, that even with the graphics settings still on low (didn't change them after swapping out the cards), it still looked a LOT better. The game looks down right GORGEOUS on high settings, but sadly gets a little too choppy for my tastes. So I turned the settings back down to low, and am enjoying the better graphics even at that  stage.

I was considering also replacing my hard drive (sata) with an SSD, but hadn't decided to make the leap yet. If I do, I will report on my findings as far as performance/appearance goes...

Nothing to do with ssd. Maybe your hd was dieng or something. It reads writes faster, but its all to gpu and pcu..

he said his loading time is less.. thats 100% ssd

The game feels a bit 'smoother' overall, you get less texture pop ins (houses etc. suddenly becoming more/less detailed when you're close to them) and less stutters when running from an SSD but it does not directly increase your frame rate.

If anyone owns an SSD and plays ArmA 2, ArmA 3 and/or DayZ I would definitely recommend moving those games over to it.

• Like 2

I have to agree. RAM disk or SSD will decrease load times but not really give you more fps unless your install is that bad. The best way to increase performance is to turn off power saving options on your graphics card.

So for me Nvidia is set to maximum performance all the time. This allows DayZ to use 100% constantly and gives you the most fps possible.

When I upgraded to from and i5 3450 to an i7 4770k my fps jumped a ton. Even though it only uses 20% Arma based games like raw core performance. Arma 3 however has seen huge optimisations over recent weeks.

• Like 1

Didn't know that RV Engine can use this. Usually games on SSDs are quite useless, the only benefit is loading time.

Well theres not a whole lot of games, which reads directly from the hard drive, like theese games tbh :)

Arma 3 however has seen huge optimisations over recent weeks.

Yes this is true and the game runs at least twice as good, if not more, as it did during Alpha.

During alpha i could never get above 40-45 fps, no matter what and now im over 80 constantly, even over 100 sometimes, and its still on the same settings.

This is a good indicatior, as to when proper optimization will happen for DayZ tbh.

Most likely during end Beta phase, or after release.

Upgrading to an SSD is hands down the best improvement you can ever make to your gaming rig.

So for me Nvidia is set to maximum performance all the time. This allows DayZ to use 100% constantly and gives you the most fps possible.

I'll have to try this... :)

• Like 1

Upgrading to an SSD is hands down the best improvement you can ever make to your gaming rig.

Well, it does really depend on your setup.

Say if your running a 1st gen i3, you will get a better improvement by getting a 4th gen i7, then getting a SSD ;)

But i see your point hehe, its a damn nice upgrade for sure.

does make a difference especially load times i would say on ssd its close to 3-5 times faster getting in game than on normal mechanical hd.

Yea I was surprised at the difference with this. Uses more power but you want to get the max you can instead of a power management profile fight.

Just tested it for a while, the lack of AA and distant rendering does not worth the 3-5 fps improvement. At least in my case. 

Just tested it for a while, the lack of AA and distant rendering does not worth the 3-5 fps improvement. At least in my case. 

Hmm? I'm pretty sure he was talking about Kboost in EVGA Precision X (or whatever the Gigabyte etc. versions are) that essentially tells your graphics card to run at 100% power the entire time. It shouldn't affect AA or LOD. :S

Edited by Mos1ey

Its been a fact, for many years, ALL RV ENGINE GAMES perform better on an SSD.

Im not talking about FPS improvement, but general improvements such as loading times, texture loading in general, less stuttering, less "FPS Spikes" and in general alot of users have reported a more "smooth" gameplay experience.

I can only recommend a fast SSD for any game, which runs on the RV engine, simply because of all the direct reading the engine does, from the HDD/SSD.

But people saying it has no effect, either arent doing it right, or have a "crap system" which makes the SSD not perform to its full potential.

It will improve gameplay performance, theres 1000's of examples, on this forum, BI's own forum, reddit and tons of other places on the webs.

Ohh you are so very wrong my friend :)

Its quite obvious you have no idea how the RV engine works.

It requires a fast CPU and a fast HDD/SSD to run well. the GPU isnt really important.

If your settings are on low, it will run primarly on the CPU, if you set them to high it will change to the CPU, this is the way the engine works.

And no matter what you do, it does a shitload of reading directly from the HDD, effectivly not using more then 500-1000mb of ram. This is also the reason it wont help much to re-write it to x64, and its the exact reason they arent gonna do it.

I tried that myself.

Fx6350, r9280x and ssd = 30-40 frames on very high.

Fx6350, r9280x and hdd 7000rpm = 28-40 frames on very high.

Have not noticed any change in server load times, no shattering or anything. Almost the same, or its so little diference that I could not see any at all.

Well maybe its just on my pc...

Edited by Nienko