Sign in to follow this  
7omm

So, bought PC, downloaded steam, bought Dayz, uploading now.......

whats next lol....

do i just click on it on the desktop icon to play it? people seem to be talking about joining a certain server on youtube videos, i have some questions about that lol.

where are these servers?

why do you need one?

also is dayz the same as dayz standalone? i was unsure so bought arma 2 and 3 cause when you do a google search it says you need arma games to play dayz?

and how do you save friends? i'll need to try and make some friends or i might get bored later on.

and what is best to do first, just get used to walking around, laying down, etc ad try to stay out way of people and get some food/ water....?

any answers would be great, cheers, tom.

Edited by 7omm

If u want to play the Dayz mod you need arma 2 and arma 2 operation arrowhead. If u wish to play the standalone all you do is download it from steam

Wait, so you bought DayZ, Or did you buy Arma 2 and 3?

DayZ (DayZ Standalone) has it's own store page and you don't need the other two Arma games to play it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/

That store page calls it DayZ, but it can also be called the DayZ Standalone. The reason it's called DayZ Standalone is because you don't need Arma to play it. You just buy it.

"DayZ" was originally a mod for Arma 2. So it used to be that if you wanted to play the DayZ mod, you needed to buy Arma 2.

Now there are two separate DayZ's. One is a mod for Arma 2, and another is a standalone game. I would've recommended just getting the standalone game.

Tried to explain that as best as I can. You should be more sure about what you're buying before you purchase a product though. Just do some more googling next time :)

Edited by Knock

If you paid money for dayz, then you bought standalone version and do not need arma. Since you have bought arma titles, it doesn't hurt to download dayz mod, which is free. I think this mod is actually fully playable unlike standalone version

i thought i replied to this, i must of posted it in the wrong place somewhere on the forum lol.

yeah i bought DayZ off steam like in the link above.

I didn't know if standalone was a another type of DayZ so i bought an arma 2 package, then bought arma 3 as it was there and rust. these should keep me busy for awhile.

i have been googling some more and it looks like you join into a server to play the game?(is this right) sort of like the PS3 online where it puts several online player together.

where do i find a good place for servers to join?.

**lets see if i have my head around this, in the early development stages in DayZ you need to play it through arma2 using magic? you downloaded a special dayz mod which enable you to play (is this right lol in a simple form)**

Edited by 7omm

i thought i replied to this, i must of posted it in the wrong place somewhere on the forum lol.

yeah i bought DayZ off steam like in the link above.

I didn't know if standalone was a another type of DayZ so i bought an arma 2 package, then bought arma 3 as it was there and rust. these should keep me busy for awhile.

i have been googling some more and it looks like you join into a server to play the game?(is this right) sort of like the PS3 online where it puts several online player together.

where do i find a good place for servers to join?.

**lets see if i have my head around this, in the early development stages in DayZ you need to play it through arma2 using magic? you downloaded a special dayz mod which enable you to play (is this right lol in a simple form)**

Yes, you join a server to play the game. Whenever you're in the DayZ game there will be a button in the main menu that says "Change Server". You click that and then you can choose any of the servers that show up to join.

**And you also have that last part right. You used to have to download the DayZ mod and play it through Arma 2.**

The Master Race has converted another. All hail personal computers!

Help this man. He thinks he is uploading when he is really downloading, Furthermore, he has bought everything because he wasn't sure.

And god bless this man! You've made the right choice.

• Like 3

Welcome... By now i'm sure you've been playing and getting used to the controls and environment. Read up on the Dayz SA items and become familiar with the current map. Normal servers can be great fun, but don't forget about the more intense Hardcore servers. 3PersonPerspective can really feel cheap, and the playstyle is much more camper friendly. It's too easy to just sit behind a wall and wait for people to walk by. Maybe recruit some friends to join you or find some people in-game who you can befriend and steam-chat / teamspeak / ect with.. You just have to be open to betrayal, but once you can find someone to trust completely, you're golden.

Um...probably should have done research before buying ARMA 3 lol. :D

You need Operation Arrowhead and ARMA 2 to play the mod, ARMA 3 makes no difference, and the DayZ Standalone alpha doesn't require any other games.

I want to throw links for newcomers at you both to help.. but I am not at the proper computer to start doing research. 

Can anyone else give these guys the links they need to learn how to get in game, and play? If not, Ill be back later.. 

Um...probably should have done research before buying ARMA 3 lol. :D

You need Operation Arrowhead and ARMA 2 to play the mod, ARMA 3 makes no difference, and the DayZ Standalone alpha doesn't require any other games.

Hey man, he can still play Altis life. Which is awesome!

Morning...

I had my first play on the game last night and i think i am doing quote well (and i am loving it!!), (clicked on normal server 6/30 towards the top of page) i have not died yet and i have been online about 1 hour i reckon.

I searched for first things to do when you join a game and followed some of what they say, i basically went in the woods following the roads, each little town looting everything a i could and always feeding myself and drinking asap. i have also found a shotgun and some bullets and a axe.

i have a couple of things i am struggling with.

1)how do you type in sidechat if needed?

2) a message came on screen join our chat with some numbers and dots, how do i do that?.

3) a red/yellow tablet came on  bottom/right quarter of the screen in half with some lines on it is that a problem with my PC? my internet or the game/ server? (it went red for counted to 89 then gone yellow then went back to server screen)

4) I have no idea where i am lol. i ran along the treeline next to a road (someone shot at me, was a sitting duck cause i shit my pants and gone prone lol, they must of realised i was heading a different way and left me) and just after that i came to a big town. I came from the treeline down a hill next to road, ran along the roadside with a big wall on my right and turned right into firestation with a big tower next it (someone was watching it as again heard shots*may of been the lad from 2-3 minutes before*), there was also a chapel, shop and hospital (oh and two *maybe one* knobs watching the hospital surrounding area's)  once i googled how to log out i tried to find somewhere save and ended up in a hut next to the beach and sea.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE:-

GOOD:-

its epic lol, i love it!! much better than PS3 or XBOX, and i like how you can just mission around and you have to survive by yourselve.

BAD:-

i think have been seen by 2/3 people so far (been shot at 3 times), all have shot on sight but been no-where in sight. I run around with my gun and axe on my back and nothing in my hands everywhere i go so i am not really a cause for concern, as soon as i hear bullets i try to run zig zaggy away with finger on caps and arms in air lol

its not a massive problem but what ever was wrong with just saying hi?

2) a message came on screen join our chat with some numbers and dots, how do i do that?.

Probably the text color was white, correct? Those are "server message of the day" which is a predefined text which is displayed to newly connected players. Great to spread general info like a Teamspeak server which is probably what the text you saw was saying. Teamspeak is a VoIP software which connects to a server aswell (numbers with dots) and let you speak to other players.

DayZ has a built-in VoIP but this is limited by distance so you can only hear players near you.

3) a red/yellow tablet came on  bottom/right quarter of the screen in half with some lines on it is that a problem with my PC? my internet or the game/ server? (it went red for counted to 89 then gone yellow then went back to server screen)

It's a chain. It shows that the connection to the server is not as stable as it should be. Yellow chain happens a lot and nothing to worry about. Red broken chain usually means desync. Actions like taking loot or eating/drinking might be delayed or not work at all. Usually goes away after a short period. Just give it some time and it will be gone. And finally the red chain, usually means that connection to the server is lost or will be soon. Most of the time with text "No message received...." and a counting timer. Most of the time it is just a server restart, after a minute the server will be back online.

cool, thanks for that

so the number with dots dont have box or anything to click and drag into, just if people are near me they can speak to me, simples!

Holy shit you are completely new to PC and the game arent you :D

left control (bottom left of your keyboard) is for voice chat. Everyone near you can hear that (you obviously need a microphone to use this). / is side chat, everyone near you can see this chat but some people dont read it and insist on using voice instead.

That was probably a Message Of The Day (MOTD) for ths server. and they where most likely letting you know their teamspeak server. (you can download teamspeak here http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads )
Teamspeak is a VOIP program. it allows for voicecom outside of games, so you can talk to people no matter if they are near you or not. We at JustSmileGaming have our own TS and Game servers ( http://justsmilegaming.co.uk/server ) open for everyone, hop on there if you want some help, if i'm on ill gladly explain some of the basics and get ya started in DayZ. I'm usualy on between 19:00-24:00 GMT (themac)

Thats a "chain" yellow/red means you are getting desynced (basicly a connection issue with 9/10 is not your fault atm since the game is in alpha and the connection sometimes sucks for everyone)

4) I have no idea where i am lol. i ran along the treeline next to a road (someone shot at me, was a sitting duck cause i shit my pants and gone prone lol, they must of realised i was heading a different way and left me) and just after that i came to a big town. I came from the treeline down a hill next to road, ran along the roadside with a big wall on my right and turned right into firestation with a big tower next it (someone was watching it as again heard shots*may of been the lad from 2-3 minutes before*), there was also a chapel, shop and hospital (oh and two *maybe one* knobs watching the hospital surrounding area's)  once i googled how to log out i tried to find somewhere save and ended up in a hut next to the beach and sea.

To find out where you are : http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus is an online map, just open the link in Internet explorer (or another browser) to see the map, you can then use the key combo ALT+TAB to switch out of the game and look @ the map. Make sure you are in a safe spot and not in combat before doing this or you WILL die :P alt+TAB again to get back into the game. you can zoom in and out using your mouse wheel. 

lol, yeah i am a total newborn to PC, never bothered with computers until i was drunk and had a go of cod on ps3.

recently (like last 4 weeks) been watching youtube videos on i phone and stumbled across frankieonpc1080p, i very quickly realised there was a hole world i was missing out on, roll on a few weeks later and i was off to pick up a 2nd hand gaming pc from gumtree :-)

built desk and chair yesterday, waited for it to download *thats a killer lol* and had to have a go last night before bed lol.

2)which version of teamspeak to i get? i have windows8 64bit i think, i would assume it its the server windows 64bit one but dont want to download it incase i am wrong. will this auto link to game i am playing too?.

4)cheers for the info on a map, i wanna find one in game but this may help is work out where i am.

OH NO.... i think i am in elecro, i am a dead man lol.

cheers for the map link

Edited by 7omm

You need the client version of TS3. server is for hosting your own, you need the client to connect to a server :D so client 64-bit should work if your PC is 64 bits. (witch it prob is with windows 8 on it)

BAD:-

i think have been seen by 2/3 people so far (been shot at 3 times), all have shot on sight but been no-where in sight. I run around with my gun and axe on my back and nothing in my hands everywhere i go so i am not really a cause for concern, as soon as i hear bullets i try to run zig zaggy away with finger on caps and arms in air lol

Did you actually hear the bullets wizzing past you?  Most likely it was someone shooting at you, but they could have been in a town close by shooting at another player or some zombies.

For me its Capslock for voice chat and / for type chat.

Thats probably TeamSpeak 3, download it from internet. The numbers and dots is the address you can connect to. Not all 

Sometimes you have red or yellow chains, it means you are desyincing. Not sure what you mean by tablet. Also if the server is restarting it says you don't receive messages for so many seconds.

Google Dayz SA Map there is one where you can see where you can check where there is loot. That is the right one. You have to learn DayZ, it might take you a while. Just read forums and play!

use the search function or google...every one of ur fucking questions is so simple and common knowledge.

that anger aside, good for you buying the whole lot!

everyone should experience arma 2 dayz, arma 3, altis life, wasteland, single player missions for arma 3 are insane!, etc.

use the search function or google...every one of ur fucking questions is so simple and common knowledge.

that anger aside, good for you buying the whole lot!

everyone should experience arma 2 dayz, arma 3, altis life, wasteland, single player missions for arma 3 are insane!, etc.

sorry, i will google it all next time instead of going on a forum purpose made for the DayZ and posting a topic in the new player discussion section. Failing that, i will look in the common knowledge section of  my brain. 

you can close this thread now, thanks to everyone who answered and helped.

Is this really the state of console converts?  I know I am of no help here, but I lol'd

Check all the guides in the new player section, google newbie guide for DayZ SA, find a group on these forums that enjoys assisting new guys.