Windmill

Remove Human AI

These are the personal opinions of a few people I know and I.

The addition of human AI in DayZ is, at least for myself and several others I know, goes against everything that makes DayZ fun.  I understand their function allows for really interesting game systems, such as AI missions which cause players across the server to come together to try to get high-reward loot in a high-risk situation.  

That's really cool, but the AI are not.  To give some background, when Arma 2 first came out, a sizable group and I would spend hundreds of hours in pseudo-realistic operations fighting against AI.  One thing I've learned: There is nothing satisfying in fighting them.  They are clunky, sharpshooting and cheating.  They can react to your position without any visual and, when observed, they just look stupid.  They stand around in awkward formations and positions looking off in every direction to a cringe-worthy level, but at least it's a clear identifier that they are, in fact, AI and not another player.

Sometimes, though, it's incredibly hard to tell they are AI.  Knowing they are AI completely changes how players (at least myself) react to them.  Playing against AI is learning a system and exploiting it (like how we deal with zombies), whereas playing against players is entirely dynamic and act exactly how a person should because they're people.  So, when I'm skirting a ridge-line to get a better position, outflank, recon, etc and get blasted because of a dude who, had he been a human, shouldn't have known to come get me from the other side of the ridge only because I entered a radius.  When I am killed by a player I think, "[bleep], that mother [bleep]er [bleep]ing got me".  I am sometimes frustrated, yes, but I know I was outsmarted, and I love that.  The rush of outsmarting another person and ultimately taking them out when the stakes are so high is what makes this game so worthwhile.  When an AI kills me, though, I am frustrated in an entirely different way.  I lost hours of work to a piece of [bleep] computer who has a finite number of predictable and clunky (and sometimes seemingly cheating) systems.

Lets assume I'm completely incorrect about AI, and they operate entirely fairly.  There is nothing satisfying, as I've mentioned before, in fighting them.  The intensity of getting into a firefight with another player, knowing hours of collecting supplies and equipment, is not there when fighting AI. Interaction with other players is inherently better than even perfectly operational AI, and DayZ, in the past, has captured interaction between people better than any other game I've ever played.

By adding human AI that experience is diluted.  

If anyone else feels similarly, please add your voice here.

Thanks.

When you write "remove" you make it sound like there is one. But there isn't. And I don't see one being implemented anytime soon. (ever)

• Like 3

Ummm...

Yeah, I don't know how to tell you this, but there's no AI in DayZ. There never has been, apart from some of the spin-off mods of the mod. Nor are there any plans (that we know of) to add any, as Rocket has been very vocal about his desire for all experiences to be player-created.

So, yeah. Not sure where this came from, to be honest.

• Like 1

I hate the idea of human AI that actually move freely and shoot back at you. But i don't think there is AI or will ever be AI.

I hate to see a player just to find it's... an AI bot walking instead. It really ruins it for me. But i don't think there will be AI so nothing to worrie about.

Edited by exomonkeyman

Ummm...

Yeah, I don't know how to tell you this, but there's no AI in DayZ. There never has been, apart from some of the spin-off mods of the mod. Nor are there any plans (that we know of) to add any, as Rocket has been very vocal about his desire for all experiences to be player-created.

So, yeah. Not sure where this came from, to be honest.

Are you telling me that all the zombies are other players?

• Like 1

yeah dont think they will do human ai

ive seen ai on custom servers on the mod, but they weren't fun, they have super auto aim, and can headshot you while you are on a roof a few hundred meters away and just as they turn round.

plus human ai would ruin the games essence.

however i would like to see bird and bug ai removed, as aftermath and dayzero mods have shown this can improve performance.  Although i like them for the natural ambiance, I would prefer better performance for something i barely notice.  Maybe leave in sounds, or make the birds part of the skybox, rather than a living thing

If you're talking about AI in the DayZ mod, that's just there from Arma 2 itself. The mod developpers can't remove something that's hard-coded in the game the mod is derived from, lol? Also if you don't like the AI you can just not join servers that have AI? You know?

These are the personal opinions of a few people I know and I.

The addition of human AI in DayZ is, at least for myself and several others I know, goes against everything that makes DayZ fun.  I understand their function allows for really interesting game systems, such as AI missions which cause players across the server to come together to try to get high-reward loot in a high-risk situation.  

That's really cool, but the AI are not.  To give some background, when Arma 2 first came out, a sizable group and I would spend hundreds of hours in pseudo-realistic operations fighting against AI.  One thing I've learned: There is nothing satisfying in fighting them.  They are clunky, sharpshooting and cheating.  They can react to your position without any visual and, when observed, they just look stupid.  They stand around in awkward formations and positions looking off in every direction to a cringe-worthy level, but at least it's a clear identifier that they are, in fact, AI and not another player.

Sometimes, though, it's incredibly hard to tell they are AI.  Knowing they are AI completely changes how players (at least myself) react to them.  Playing against AI is learning a system and exploiting it (like how we deal with zombies), whereas playing against players is entirely dynamic and act exactly how a person should because they're people.  So, when I'm skirting a ridge-line to get a better position, outflank, recon, etc and get blasted because of a dude who, had he been a human, shouldn't have known to come get me from the other side of the ridge only because I entered a radius.  When I am killed by a player I think, "[bleep], that mother [bleep]er [bleep]ing got me".  I am sometimes frustrated, yes, but I know I was outsmarted, and I love that.  The rush of outsmarting another person and ultimately taking them out when the stakes are so high is what makes this game so worthwhile.  When an AI kills me, though, I am frustrated in an entirely different way.  I lost hours of work to a piece of [bleep] computer who has a finite number of predictable and clunky (and sometimes seemingly cheating) systems.

Lets assume I'm completely incorrect about AI, and they operate entirely fairly.  There is nothing satisfying, as I've mentioned before, in fighting them.  The intensity of getting into a firefight with another player, knowing hours of collecting supplies and equipment, is not there when fighting AI. Interaction with other players is inherently better than even perfectly operational AI, and DayZ, in the past, has captured interaction between people better than any other game I've ever played.

By adding human AI that experience is diluted.  

If anyone else feels similarly, please add your voice here.

Thanks.

By adding NPCs all we get is more than 100 people per server which would end up in more interactions which is one of the bases on DayZ, not to mention that their reactions would be more likely to a proper survivor instead of a troll with a hack...I personally don't give a fuck about AI, if they added I'll play with it...if they don't I'll keep gearing up and kill bandits

By adding NPCs all we get is more than 100 people per server which would end up in more interactions which is one of the bases on DayZ, not to mention that their reactions would be more likely to a proper survivor instead of a troll with a hack...I personally don't give a fuck about AI, if they added I'll play with it...if they don't I'll keep gearing up and kill bandits

Most people are just going to shoot NPC survivors on sight (not to mention there is no real good way of telling them apart) for their gear. It would just make those 100 player servers huge clusterfucks of confusion where no one knows what's going on.

Yeah as stated above AI will never, (ever) make it into this game -zombies.