Sign in to follow this  
dgeesio

can we get a statement on bases and vehicles ETA.

TBH, your priority list is exactly that, YOUR priorities.

I for instance would like them to develop more weapons and different weapons to combat the M4+Mosin supremacy that is going on right now. The only reason i ever pick up an SKS is because some clanmate might not have a gun. but as soon as i'm able, i go to the military bases and get an m4 + search for a long range scope for a mosin. 

I'd like to see different weapons, different scopes. Night Vision+scopes, granades, so much more to evolve the combat before even thinking of vehicles. With the current sprint mechanics vehicles are not THAT big a deal to me. (other then a combat chopper :P)

I'd also love to see sickness, hunting etc in before vehicles but that is all my opinion, just like your's and it means nothing becuase the devs will have their own roadmap and some of my point might be on it and some of your might be also. 

I dont get why people mark this thread as whining. It is a fair question to ask what is happening, after all we paid for the game. Nobody here is asking for vehicles and base building to be implemented in a week but an overall update wouldn't hurt. 

Edited by massam

thamac yes i understand others do have other priorities but...do a poll vehicles and base building in whatever for would be top 5 every time.

weapons guns just do what can be done already with mosin or m4s one shot kill thats it.

cars bases give ten times as much gameplay element and keep people playing.

what im kinda worried about is i dont tihnk the large amount of people who brought in early are going to stay for 6-9 months for vehicles and bases. some will not think just say good they are not hardcore dayz players but that is not good for the game. i would like content and keep alot of the playerbase aswell. best way of doing this is to communicate about the key features which will keep them focused on dayz.

this is where you see if they are bothered or not as like many projects now once you see and have money in why do you have to do anything in any order or rush ?

there is always the dev way of looking at a project and a gamers way of looking at it. none is wrong but just remeber the whole thing should work for the gamers first as they pay for the project . its no good just looking from dev eyes saying no we will do this first content wise its easier if players dont want that first !

if a poll was done which do you want first ? vehicles , bases or hunting ? which you think would come out top? you already know yourselfs which would it would be vehicles ! thats what im talking about. there are dev priorities and gamers priorities and most gamers want the fun the good content first that matters. i think theres nothing wrong with that and shouldnt be trodden on or classed as whining.

hopefully we have somekind of word soon on the big content and what is being done. i have a feeling that cars and stuff like that hasnt evn been touched.

bicycles will be done soon because why ? its nothing different is it than te mod apart from artisic really. quick skim over put bike in.

also why hasnt cars been put in as place holder ? while new vehicles are being made ? this would of made game more enjoyable while waiting. then replaced or updated when they are ready.

bigger budget and sales should.

means more money for team workers and more work if efficient should be produced.

this game has achieved already tripple a title money. so its not lets just keep it small and bring small updates people have paid in so its time to up the work rate and commincate. the dev team do often do this well but the real content not new hats and small items havent been spoke about yet. i understand how it works but this isnt a free mod anymore and people do want to know what is being done. this isnt a unfair ask seeing how much money and how big the project is getting.

If You are and other whiners saying that there is no a lot of updates already then You must be retarded sir.

This is alpha and their schedule was created before they sold 1.5mil of copies. Why something should be changed? They are doing good job. Hiring new guys and trying to speed up stuff only because half of those 1.5mil are whiners can only ruin the project.

thamac yes i understand others do have other priorities but...do a poll vehicles and base building in whatever for would be top 5 every time.

weapons guns just do what can be done already with mosin or m4s one shot kill thats it.

cars bases give ten times as much gameplay element and keep people playing.

what im kinda worried about is i dont tihnk the large amount of people who brought in early are going to stay for 6-9 months for vehicles and bases. some will not think just say good they are not hardcore dayz players but that is not good for the game. i would like content and keep alot of the playerbase aswell. best way of doing this is to communicate about the key features which will keep them focused on dayz.

this is where you see if they are bothered or not as like many projects now once you see and have money in why do you have to do anything in any order or rush ?

there is always the dev way of looking at a project and a gamers way of looking at it. none is wrong but just remeber the whole thing should work for the gamers first as they pay for the project . its no good just looking from dev eyes saying no we will do this first content wise its easier if players dont want that first !

if a poll was done which do you want first ? vehicles , bases or hunting ? which you think would come out top? you already know yourselfs which would it would be vehicles ! thats what im talking about. there are dev priorities and gamers priorities and most gamers want the fun the good content first that matters. i think theres nothing wrong with that and shouldnt be trodden on or classed as whining.

hopefully we have somekind of word soon on the big content and what is being done. i have a feeling that cars and stuff like that hasnt evn been touched.

bicycles will be done soon because why ? its nothing different is it than te mod apart from artisic really. quick skim over put bike in.

also why hasnt cars been put in as place holder ? while new vehicles are being made ? this would of made game more enjoyable while waiting. then replaced or updated when they are ready.

Just leave it then and come back when game will be released in 2015-2016.

I'm happy with game as it is to be honest, but what I'd like to add or make things be (following explanation in further text) for example "base buildings / fortifications". I don't like how bases are made in DayZ mod, they seems like they don't belong with environment. If it's possible they should let us to barricade existing houses or make new / similar ones as the existing ones, they could let us (implement option) to rest on beds for faster regeneration or any other benefit (just for example). Bases can be password or key protected, if key protected (my vote for key) then we can have another option such as lock picking or breaking in (but for that u'll need additional item) hook and car for example so you can attach hook on a door and pull them of or something like that :D but with all those options and actions game is not surviving vs zombies it's more like post apocalyptic battlefield humans vs humans oriented.. If game goes in that way and if you get killed by a zombie you should become a zombie and get special skills and needs so you can hunt other players.. 

Or maybe I went of topic and I am so sorry about that :(

• Like 1

Sometimes I think my posts are invisible...or maybe they are to fitting and would end a discussion? Or...I don't know...maybe too long? Or are you afraid of my avatar?

Whatever:

A concern that is good to be stated. Even if you could argue like you did that all the "not hardcore dayz players are not welcome" (which is BS, we all were not-hardcore-dayz-players at some point...), and that the alpha warning said something like "Don't buy this game except you want to help develop it", to keep a larger playerbase would be nice.

But the comign key features are mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

Ok, I understood that sentence (I hope, if I'm wrong, apologies) : Even if they made 1 Billion, it would not had speeded up development at this point. They did hire additional staff, but you can't just hire 10 programmers, place them in chairs and tell them:"Go, 5 of you make performance optimization, the other 5 kill that zombie wall glitch" - they would destroy more than they would repair, it would take ages to get a result and in the end it would be worse. You have to introduce them slowly, sho them the whole concept, show them, what is worked on by whom, what is already in the making and how things are connected. And the worst part: they have to get to know the database. Oh my, how did I hate that. You can't program properly if you don't know the core datatabases by heart and know how it might change. So, short: Additional staff hired: Yes. Will speed up development:  In a big project the (very) rough estimation is from one month to three month until a newly hired programmer is working productive.

Additionally, it's impossible to have any amount of people work on a complex task, because they will stand in each others way, it will make it even more complex...

Well....no. It's not that way (I hope^^) why some things get implemented earlier than others has 3 main reasons: 1) What is possible to make with the code that is already existing 2) what is

a precondition for something else (like crafting is an absolute essential before having vehicles) 3)priorites set by the devs. And this 3rd point is the least important one in a programming project.

if a poll was done which do you want first ? vehicles , bases or hunting ? which you think would come out top? you already know yourselfs which would it would be vehicles !

Again: That's what you believe. I'd say bases would come out top or even hunting before vehicles. Maybe even something else like Physics or improvised weapons.. And also IF it would come on top with 100%, it wouldn't mean that the devs COULD do it faster. (look at the previous answer for details.)

And again, please read these threads:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174639-interview-with-dean-hall-in-the-latest-pc-gamer-summerized/?hl=interview%2B

Because it is possible with the code that is already in. POSSIBLE does not mean "fast", "easy" or "without problems". Just that it won't cause as much work as other vehicles will make. And programming a placeholder would take time - time a programmer could use to implement something that is useful in the future and won't get thrown away. Remember: Alpha. That means, they will not use placeholders as far as it is possible, instead they will focus on things that can be used in the future as well. I really don't know how long it would take to insert "placeholder cars" (like: just spwaning, never need gas, other parts just driving around) but I'm pretty sure that a) it would take some time b) players would not be happy about that solution and c)they would be annoyed ifn they would hear that the team spent time on something that will be useless soon...

If You are and other whiners saying that there is no a lot of updates already then You must be retarded sir.

This is alpha and their schedule was created before they sold 1.5mil of copies. Why something should be changed? They are doing good job. Hiring new guys and trying to speed up stuff only because half of those 1.5mil are whiners can only ruin the project.

typical response with a person who has no idea or help.

im not whining im asking a geniune question. without the 1.5 million whiners where would the project be ? it would still be in mod phase still. so dont be like a retard yourself. dem trolls are so strong. :rolleyes:

without the 1.5 million whiners where would the project be ?

It'd still be in the Alpha phase, and close to where it is now. They've got their schedule, and I hope they continue with both the pace and the direction. I'm also a huge fan of bases, hunting/cooking/crafting, etc (vehicles aren't really necessary when you can transverse the map in an incredibly short time). However, Rocket and company do this for a job. We do this for fun/hobby/a sadism fix. Probably best to let them do what they're employed for, and not backseat/armchair develop.

LaughingJack i do read articles and watch the streams and try to keep upto date but there hasnt been any real details on proper big content. its mostly been about small features being added.

they may mention things briefly but no roadmaps or anything has been discussed in any great length.dayz is my second gav game i have played it since the start and have thousands of hrs playing it. so its not like a im impatient or whining im interested in what is next that is a game changer or of real relevance thats not a new shoe hat or small item.

It'd still be in the Alpha phase, and close to where it is now. They've got their schedule, and I hope they continue with both the pace and the direction. I'm also a huge fan of bases, hunting/cooking/crafting, etc (vehicles aren't really necessary when you can transverse the map in an incredibly short time). However, Rocket and company do this for a job. We do this for fun/hobby/a sadism fix. Probably best to let them do what they're employed for, and not backseat/armchair develop.

yet again slowly the thread turns into hate for what ? asking about a game and what 1.5 million would like to know about. internet is so retarded sometimes. rather than giving helpful info that we try and turn into idiots just because its easier. what a shame. awaits next stupid reply just because its harder to respond normally than to try and derail or destroy a simple line of questiioning.

We already have vehicles. Just get in a house and watch your vehicle try to budge his/her way around chairs, tables and stairs.

typical response with a person who has no idea or help.

im not whining im asking a geniune question. without the 1.5 million whiners where would the project be ? it would still be in mod phase still. so dont be like a retard yourself. dem trolls are so strong. :rolleyes:

Not really. It was typical response of person that is tired about people that cant be patient.

If You are asking for simple things like that You could just search the forum and get the answers for most of Your questions Yourself.

What would be the project? It would be exactly the same. When they were going for SA they were expecting way way way less people to be interested in this. If they would try to rush stuff and make it not good like most of things are right now then they would be just bad dev's. It happened already with BF 4.

You had one example of that here already too when they wanted to be nice to people and they rushed big patch to stable and it was the most bugged patch so far.

So just be patient.

yet again slowly the thread turns into hate for what ? asking about a game and what 1.5 million would like to know about. internet is so retarded sometimes. rather than giving helpful info that we try and turn into idiots just because its easier. what a shame. awaits next stupid reply just because its harder to respond normally than to try and derail or destroy a simple line of questiioning.

Maybe You just cant ask those questions in good way? Because for example Im part of that 1.5 milion of people and I dont know why You involving me in Your stuff.

who said im not patient ? i am patient but whats wrong with knowing what is being done?

it wont stall what is being done and gives you a idea on what is what. as said if you dont know anything the easiest response is you are whining for asking. im not whining i would like to know so would many others.

its not hard to understand. i have played this since the start and as stated i have played games that have took a lot longer than this game to get to any kind of playable level. so i understand the process just would like a few bits of news on key core content being developed which hasnt been talked about in any depth at all. only brief murmourings.

LaughingJack i do read articles and watch the streams and try to keep upto date but there hasnt been any real details on proper big content. its mostly been about small features being added.

they may mention things briefly but no roadmaps or anything has been discussed in any great length.dayz is my second gav game i have played it since the start and have thousands of hrs playing it. so its not like a im impatient or whining im interested in what is next that is a game changer or of real relevance thats not a new shoe hat or small item.

....ok.......I did not said that you are whining or that you are impatient. In fact, I just tried to give you answers to all the points you mentioned as far as I know them/I can guess. I also would love to have the devs Roadmap but it has been made in mid january afaik and has not been released to the public afaik. But there are a lot of things that you can find out...

But since you don't click on links it seems (otherwise you would have seen some things in the posts I linked, that are "game changers" or "of real relevance" and that come next) :  i'll just paste some here:

• Persistent storage: Goes this week on internal testing, so may be in experimental in 2 weeks (roughly estimated, more or less depending on gamebreaking bugs found there)
  • Hunting, Cooking and Crafting up next for major implementation. That means that there are as many people as possible working on these complex tasks. Some of it is already in the game (like the courier backpack, sewing kit). Other things are already running in internal (parts of cooking which will affect sooner or later the whole health system)
  • Complete overhaul of the health system is worked on at the moment
  • More Zombies+respawning zombies: Also already on internal, maybe tweaked
  • Goes together with server performance (the better the performance, the  more Zs and loot)
  • Respawning Loot is worked on
  • Zombie wall glitch is one of the highest priority tasks (and as mentioned goes hand in hand with the AI of the undead bastards^^)

....these are all tasks that are worked on with higher priority and, as far as I read/heard it, will be in withing the next couple of updates. And for sure, I will have missed some things. Like the weather affecting clothes ->affecting health etc.. Or weight based stamina+running system. Or like Bow+Arrows. Or physics. Or ragdolls...

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1

....ok.......I did not said that you are whining or that you are impatient. In fact, I just tried to give you answers to all the points you mentioned as far as I know them/I can guess. I also would love to have the devs Roadmap but it has been made in mid january afaik and has not been released to the public afaik. But there are a lot of things that you can find out...

But since you don't click on links it seems (otherwise you would have seen some things in the posts I linked, that are "game changers" or "of real relevance" and that come next) :  i'll just paste some here:

• Persistent storage: Goes this week on internal testing, so may be in experimental in 2 weeks (roughly estimated, more or less depending on gamebreaking bugs found there)
  • Hunting, Cooking and Crafting up next for major implementation. That means that there are as many people as possible working on these complex tasks. Some of it is already in the game (like the courier backpack, sewing kit). Other things are already running in internal (parts of cooking which will affect sooner or later the whole health system)
  • Complete overhaul of the health system is worked on at the moment
  • More Zombies+respawning zombies: Also already on internal, maybe tweaked
  • Goes together with server performance (the better the performance, the  more Zs and loot)
  • Respawning Loot is worked on
  • Zombie wall glitch is one of the highest priority tasks (and as mentioned goes hand in hand with the AI of the undead bastards^^)

....these are all tasks that are worked on with higher priority and, as far as I read/heard it, will be in withing the next couple of updates. And for sure, I will have missed some things. Like the weather affecting clothes ->affecting health etc.. Or weight based stamina+running system. Or like Bow+Arrows. Or physics. Or ragdolls...

Gave you beans for being so helpful and full of information on this post.

People do read your stuff =). I still believe though instead of hunting (IMO Lots of food, often leave cans of beans etc behind, its not hard to maintain Energized once you have it) AND barricading (Which im sure has something to do with base building, but could care less right now due to the actual mechanics of building a base probably wont be added for months) really shouldn't be the key priority but hey! that's just my opinion.

I could even care less about zombies walking through walls unless they add a lot more soon, which you did state they are working on... with lack of zombies that is the hardest part/scariest part of them right now.

Besides mainly wanting vehicles sooner then later, I just want to be able to craft a fire and cook food etc.. but im getting off topic..

An updated and a little more thorough roadmap too keep us all in the loop would be nice =) I am happy you compiled that information for everyone out of Rockets streams etc.. But im still with OP (I know your not against OP) an official statement in a post from Rocket would be the best right now to prevent people, including me from constantly asking when is this/that coming. I dont really think thats asking too much (I know hes doing a great job)

not going to read it all, but I agree with the op.

They already have the money. So why shell out now.

They will over time no doubt and we will get a much better product by beta and so on. This may take 2 years though.. The incentive to "release on deadline" or have this feature ready or have all this setup before a massive launch party etc etc etc. its just not there.

bigger budget and sales should.

means more money for team workers and more work if efficient should be produced.

Sounds like you don't have any experience in software development, so here goes: 

• Like 1

From my expert analysis, we should have barricades within 3 weeks and the bicycle released in no more than 10 weeks. Would estimate bikes at 5 weeks tho.

I should link to this post on reddit. people would be out of their fucking minds.

1.5 million in sales doesn't speed up the development process.

I don't think that was the point (or I hope it wasn't). The way I took it was that games using an early access model or kick starter, meaning they don't know exactly what kind of funding they'll have, tend to be pretty light on the actual commitments and road map. Generally, because they can't be sure they'll have the money to complete what they are "promising".

I'd say DayZ has hit the point where they should be able to pretty well finish off what they've decided to do with the game, so they should feel more confident in releasing these sorts of details.

Sounds like you don't have any experience in software development, so here goes: 

Exactly right, I should have read further before making my post above. I can see how the money might make them be a bit more comfortable communicating the road-map, but it certainly won't speed things up much. They can augment staff, but the nature of training and such puts a hard cap on just how much you can expand a team. Not to mention, the time it takes to train up resources in the first place. If this game was set to be developed for several more years, you could certainly start ramping up. With a goal of end-of-year for beta, you'll spend a lot of that just going through the hiring and training process.

I'd much rather see better optimization, bug fixes, a fleshed out map, some weapon balancing (fixing), and more zombies before I even want to think about vehicles or bases.

You guys are just impatient.