Sign in to follow this  
lafeasd

Handshake gesture

Greetings fellow survivors

Yesterday I came across what I believe is a beautiful idea that would add depth to player interaction.

It consists of a handshake gesture that could end in a physical handshake if two players do it facing each other.

Are you familiar with the "high five" taunt in TF2? One player initiates the animation and it's up to the opposing player to complete the action, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlo3OGRU3I

Some situations this could come in handy would be: player A states he is friendly to player B, both agree to holster their weapons and player A proceeds to say "Hi, my name is John", and initiates the handshake gesture. Then  player B replies with his name and completes the action, resulting in a much more rich experience.

Since you currently don't have ANY way to physically touch and connect with the other player, rather than improvising high fives with the "F1" animation, what do you guys think?

Edited by lafeasd
  • Like 2

i think it would be a nice gesture or animation, but everyone won't shake hands, and you will get some people who would use it to their advantage, such as you could extend your hand to shake, and i could use that time to raise my fists and land a punch or 2, while you have to cancel the animation and raise your fists to defend yourself, by then you would probably be knocked out.

not saying thats something i would do personally, but thats what people will do, and alot of people pretend to be friendly while they wait for an opportunity to strike

i think it would be a nice gesture or animation, but everyone won't shake hands, and you will get some people who would use it to their advantage, such as you could extend your hand to shake, and i could use that time to raise my fists and land a punch or 2, while you have to cancel the animation and raise your fists to defend yourself, by then you would probably be knocked out.

not saying thats something i would do personally, but thats what people will do, and alot of people pretend to be friendly while they wait for an opportunity to strike

I think that's one of the reasons it becomes such a good idea.  It's multifaceted and players can use it to their own ends.  Kind survivors can bond, perhaps adding more emotional weight to deaths after you've shaken hands with a stranger.  Deceptive types have another layer of illusion to hide behind.  It also adds another "neutral" animation, where your weapon hand is unarmed and hence you're not an immediate threat.

Hello there

Handshake is a must have feature! Please contact Rocket via PM and let him know about your idea.

Rgds

JelqMaster

I'll let him know via twitter since he's been more active there. Thank you!

Be a good idea but I'm not sure whether they'll be able to add an actual gesture where you shake hands with another player literally. If they do I don't think it'll be for a long time. 

I just wave to people with F1 as it is. Serves basically the same purpose.

Be a good idea but I'm not sure whether they'll be able to add an actual gesture where you shake hands with another player literally. If they do I don't think it'll be for a long time. 

I just wave to people with F1 as it is. Serves basically the same purpose.

I agree, but what if you just exchanged food or something and you want to thank the other player with more than just a hand wave?

I agree, but what if you just exchanged food or something and you want to thank the other player with more than just a hand wave?

I know what you mean. I just think it will be hard for them to actually code a physical handshake where the two characters actually grip hands and shake. It just seems from all the current animations that it would be difficult. 

Perhaps when/if all the current animations are reworked closer to beta/release we'll get something like that. I'd like a proper high five gesture too.