Sign in to follow this  
Putts_UK

Zombies needs to be primary objective for the devs!

Is anybody else getting a little frustrated that with every update there is loads of new loot etc, but still little work on the zombies? The zombies are still zero threat in this game.

In a zombie apocalypse game you would think one of the main elements, the "zombies" would be sorted first?

In the latest notes there is a massive long list of new weather, new medical, new food, then right at the bottom it says "Zombies aims mainly for chest while attacking". One thing? 

We need Higher numbers, improvements on how they move, how they react, new animations for how they attack, its all well and good adding new hats and coats and batteries, etc, But at the moment the way to play day z is not influenced at all by the zombies, infact its teaching people bad habits.

In the mod you can't just walk down the road in cherno unhindered.

For me it adds so much to the game, the panic when 20 zombies pile into a building and you only have limited ammo or whatever. Or a zombies comes out of nowhere punches you so hard you fall over and break your leg.

This should be Primary objective! Then the rest of the game can develop around this.

• Like 1

Zombies are a work in progress for the dev's, the number's, AI and basic stats will be developed, good thing's take time, if they only work on the zombies then the game wouldn't have all the content that they desire, patience little one.

go to black forest and pray to the DayZ god's perhaps they will grant your zombie filled wish.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153994-early-access-important-information-known-issues/

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 3

I fully agree. Me and 2 friends normally play together and when we logged on one of my friends spawned at the bottom of the control tower at the air strip west of chapavek.

There was a guy above him camping the control tower so we decided to go and retrieve our friend from the CT. I went south to the barracks of the airstrip and covered the tower with my Mosin & scope whilst my two friends negotiated the safe extraction. Whilst this was happening I was attacked by a zombie and it was the first time I actually felt a real threat from a zombie in a standalone and certainly made me think about them more.

Anyway, the guy opened fire on my friends as they left the tower and killed one of them, I stay put as I thought he would try to follow my one remaining friend and this exactly what happened. Killed him in the end :)

• Like 1

Zombies are a work in progress for the dev's, the number's, AI and basic stats will be developed, good thing's take time, if they only work on the zombies then the game wouldn't have all the content that they desire, paitence little one.

go to black forest and pray to the DayZ god's perhaps they will grant your zombie filled wish.

Window licker you miss the point, This is a Zombie Game! Surely that is the content they desire, plus there is enough content in the game now to really make a push on the Zombies. 

Window licker you miss the point, This is a Zombie Game! Surely that is the content they desire, plus there is enough content in the game now to really make a push on the Zombies. 

He dosen't  miss a point.Game is in ealry alpha stages.It needs to be optimized,for more zombies to be ingame.I don't know exactly,but this is not something that is achived easily.If there are more zombies,i think you are gonna lag that much,that playing would be practically impossible in this stage.But that's a pure hypothesis from the things i have read.

Dayz started out as just a survival concept, they only added zombies later to make it more "mainstream". With that in mind I aint surprised rocket is doing the survival aspects first. I hope they continue to focus on them for now, and give this game some real depth. Keep it in a league of its own as far as survival mechanics go, then later they can sort out the zombies. We always got the MOD while this is in alpha aswell, and those zeds are a decent threat now, with there massive damage per hit and numbers :)

I don't miss the point, I know exactly what your saying, I'm saying that when they increase the Zombie spawn rate it add's more stress to the server so adding a ton of zombies would be fun but I don't like the idea of playing on 5 man server's, right now they are spawn at the highest rate the server allows, right now the dev team is focusing on making them respawn (along with loot) what your asking is going to be done and is constantly being worked on, the content that is being added outside of the zombies is to make the game a rich and rewarding experience in the long term, so that people keep playing for an extended time.

• Like 3

True we do need a more threatening zombie enemy though personally I believe they will never be a threat despite me wanting them to be one

In the mod they made the zombies a massive threat at one point, high damage, high numbers and high chance of infection

And 2 days later they were patched and nerfed due to MASSIVE rage on the forums that they were too powerful even though there were just as many players that liked the change, they gave in to the rage and patched it out

In those 2 days I had 30+ friendly encounters as people needed blood and morphine left, right and centre though I still had hostile encounters (mainly with groups of bandits)

But the game became a new type or adrenaline rush where firing a shot brought zombies from all around they could maul you in seconds

So although I want done nasty zombies, doubt they will ever be anything more than annoying

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 2

True we do need a more threatening zombie enemy though personally I believe they will never be a threat despite me wanting them to be one

In the mod they made the zombies a massive threat at one point, high damage, high numbers and high chance of infection

And 2 days later they were patched and nerfed due to MASSIVE rage on the forums that they were too powerful even though there worthier as many player a that likes the change, they gave in to the rage and patched it out

In those 2 days I had 30+ friendly encounters as people needed blood and morphine left, right and centre though I still had hostile encounters (mainly with groups of bandits)

But the game became a new type or adrenaline rush where firing a shot brought zombies from all around they could maul you in seconds

So although I want done nasty zombies, doubt they will ever be anything more than annoying

damn that sounds awesome!!

To improve zombies they first have to improve performance, to do this they are making huge changes to how the engine works, most notably being making it so that zombie calculations are done on a separate core of the server, this is a big change and will take a lot of testing to get right.

The work is going on behind the scenes, its just not something that can be released to us in small increments, meanwhile other members of the team are working on adding other content, we just have to be patient, zombies will be improved over time. 

And 2 days later they were patched and nerfed due to MASSIVE rage on the forums that they were too powerful even though there were just as many players that liked the change, they gave in to the rage and patched it out

They pumped the damage again ya know....its 3 or 4k(can't remember exactly) per headshot hit now. I went from full to half hp in 2 zed hits earlier :D

Ha ok thanks

Haven't played the mod in a while so wouldn't know what it's like now

Good to know though that there might be a chance they are threatening at some point in standalone too :)

They are being worked on. If this is an issue for you, play something else until its added. This is Alpha, and its going to be in Alpha at least till the end of the year. Not everything is an easy fix, and it's better for them to add some of the smaller things to get tested asap, then spend every waking moment on zombies.

Can we just stop the zombies being able to walk through walls and fences etc?  Cheers.  :).

K.

• Like 1

Can we just stop the zombies being able to walk through walls and fences etc?  Cheers.  :).

K.

No, not before server performance has been improved.

All fair points. But this game was meant to be out a year ago. and yes i know its Alpha.Just seems they have a great pace on everything else but the zombies. As it is Alpha wack the zombies in, and make it work. yeah performance goes down but work like hell to get it right. 

All fair points. But this game was meant to be out a year ago. and yes i know its Alpha.Just seems they have a great pace on everything else but the zombies. As it is Alpha wack the zombies in, and make it work. yeah performance goes down but work like hell to get it right. 

Sauce?

Now I'm thinking your confusing standalone with the mod, standalone isn't going to be in beta till the end of this year early next then another year or so till release.

Sauce?

Now I'm thinking your confusing standalone with the mod, standalone isn't going to be in beta till the end of this year early next then another year or so till release.

Well maybe that was the plan before selling a million plus copies, team getting bigger so i expect this game to be ready sooner.

Well originally the SA WAS announced to be out in late 2012/early 2013, but rocket just didn't wanted to give it out that early since...well it wasn't even an alpha and he didn't wanted that people should get it in such a desolate state.

I'll just paste what I wrote in the other Zombie-thread some minutes ago:

@SoulFirez: Maybe I should have quoted the full paragraph:

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. In the new year we will be optimizing the way we handle dynamic objects (such as loot) a great deal more which should give us significant savings - but the change was considered too risky to be done prior to alpha launch. If we had problems, we would have delayed the project further by months.

In one sentence: If server performance gets better -> more zombies (and respawning ones), so the aim is: More zombies but no fps drop because of that.

Additionally the Zombie AI is also a ongoing task that should (hopefully) replace soon completely the palceholder that the zeds have now...

• Like 3

I don't agree with this.  DayZ takes place in a zombie apocalypse, yes, but the game is not about zombies.  It's really about the interaction with other players in an open world.  Zombies are there and you have to deal with them, but it's not the primary objective.  I think for most people the most fun in DayZ is the other players - being a bandit, being a hero, meeting other people, etc.  Making the game too PvE would make it less fun.

Is anybody else getting a little frustrated that with every update there is loads of new loot etc, but still little work on the zombies? The zombies are still zero threat in this game.

In a zombie apocalypse game you would think one of the main elements, the "zombies" would be sorted first?

In the latest notes there is a massive long list of new weather, new medical, new food, then right at the bottom it says "Zombies aims mainly for chest while attacking". One thing? 

We need Higher numbers, improvements on how they move, how they react, new animations for how they attack, its all well and good adding new hats and coats and batteries, etc, But at the moment the way to play day z is not influenced at all by the zombies, infact its teaching people bad habits.

In the mod you can't just walk down the road in cherno unhindered.

For me it adds so much to the game, the panic when 20 zombies pile into a building and you only have limited ammo or whatever. Or a zombies comes out of nowhere punches you so hard you fall over and break your leg.

This should be Primary objective! Then the rest of the game can develop around this.

They have built a basic and functional zombie system that is in need of improvement and optimization.  No question about any of that.  However, there are a lot of other basic systems that aren't even in yet (hunting, vehicles, barricading, etc.)  

Basic functional versions of these things need to be put in place as well.  Once all or most of the critical systems are in the game then the long road of improvement and optimization of them can begin.  

Zombies aren't done; they are basic placeholders that will be worked on in the future when the time is right.  

Edited by iBane
  • Like 2

1. They can't work on improving the zombies until the server processing requirements are nailed down, and they know exactly how much resources they have to play with.

2. There's no point whatsoever, for the content team to be sitting on their hands while those tasked with nailing down the server processing requirements are... doing it.

3. There is no 3.

actually the random resetting chars should be primary.. why even try to survive when dayz kills you when you log off..

actually the random resetting chars should be primary.. why even try to survive when dayz kills you when you log off..

Because it's an alpha and you signed up to test the game? no

Don't log in a combat environment? no

Don't just jump into random servers and start making a favorite's list of reliable servers that don't wipe your character? no

Don't play for the next 6 month's and come back and see if the situation has improved? Nailed it.

• Like 1

Acctualy right now zombies are great for players marking in cities, they acctualy saved my life  few times right now. U just observe zombies when they see other player they starting to run toward him, and in effect reveals his position.

Edited by mpm470