Sign in to follow this  
beshere

Doors opening direction

What if doors will open always in direction FROM the player? We open thousands doors and this little improvement will make a great effect!

• Like 4

To add to this: doors should probably have a bit of looseness to their animations so you're not breaking your legs constantly if you happen to be in the way of one opening.

This would also pave the way for melodramatic breakins and other such activities that generally require you to throw yourself at a door and send it crashing into the wall. And everyone knows they're going to have a lot more fun with that than the current system ;)

• Like 2

I think Rocket wants the doors to be physics based, so you can just walk into them and they would open.

What if doors will open always in direction FROM the player? We open thousands doors and this little improvement will make a great effect!

But doors don't typically open in both directions in the real world? So if you want realism, no ... but personally if the door opens both ways is really not a problem for me.

i agree most doors dont open both ways in the real world. 

maybe if metal gates opened both ways (as they will really move you when they hit you) then doors could have a different icon to indicate if they would come towards they player or away from (kinda like the difference between push and pull doors)

dont really like the idea of physics based doors, as generally in other games you got to walk into and nudge them to open them enough to look inside 

I think there needs to be an animation for opening doors. Even if its as weird as the slow-vault where you phase through the fence. Just a quick push on the door at least.

But doors don't typically open in both directions in the real world? So if you want realism, no ... but personally if the door opens both ways is really not a problem for me.

It's more realisic when they push a character back? Never sought that in real life!

To add to this: doors should probably have a bit of looseness to their animations so you're not breaking your legs constantly if you happen to be in the way of one opening.

This happens?

I get pushed aside by every single door...

• Like 1

It would be nice to have options via the action menu.

Like:

open door

open door quietly

bash door open

peek 

would be nice to be able to bash a door open that someone is on the other side of to knock them down.

Or peek inside to see what on the other side.

I remember hearing that Dean was thinking about removing the action menu, I really hope he doesn't, I just think it needs some tweaking, not removing.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

I have tended to notice that most doors open in a realistic direction.  I know its different in some areas in europe, but here in the US is is actually building code that dictates doors.  And all doors to the outside must open out, that way in an emergency people don't get trapped by pushing against the door, interior doors usually open inward only due to space constraints.  If it doesn't make a difference with space it will tend to open towards the buildings exit.

Lol guys, dont stick with pointless realism things. Who cares if door opening isn't realistic!? I would like them to open as if pushed, ALWAYS.

At this time, with low fps, movement issues and other things it may takes several seconds to point the cursor in the right spot, wait for the door pushing you aside, move side to center door line, go in. Wtf!

You want realism? Ok, so lets make them locked, as 90% of them would be in real world. Then we can eventually stop bothering about opening direction, and die eaten or shot on the door mat.

• Like 1

You want realism? Ok, so lets make them locked, as 90% of them would be in real world. Then we can eventually stop bothering about opening direction, and die eaten or shot on the door mat.

You know,for me at least,that actually sounds like a very good idea.

How about to chop those doors by axe and open them?

You know,for me at least,that actually sounds like a very good idea.

May be, but i fear we would regret this as a fresh spawn