Sign in to follow this  
Owain1122

The Affect of in-game voice chat vs third party voice chat

I have never really paid attention to this before but I never realised how immersive in game chat was. A few days ago I was in the office/school in Elektro and I was looting the upper floors suddenly I heard two guys chatting. Instantly I started to panick and get my weapon out. Thankfully they moved off.

It got be thinking that if they had been using Skype or team speak then I would have never had heard them and would have probably walked in to them. However I understand that without Skype or other third party voice software, it would be very hard for people to meet up. It is so much more immersive with the in game chat.

What's everyones opinions?

Edited by Owain1122
  • Like 1

I think possibly you should have to hold the key down to turn your DayZ voice off rather than on? So you have to make a conscious extra effort if you want to be quiet in game while you chat third-party. And hard-fix the key-bind to something really awkward like Ctrl + ]

Edited by Pillock

Teamspeak for grouping up, If i meet a stranger and become friendly its gonna be in game for a while. Teamspeak for firefights where they are in close range. It does give away your position, and it isnt as immersive, but I dont want to die.

As much as I would prefer it and as immersive as it may be, there is no deterrent for this as these programs are deeply laden into gamer culture. No reason to be bothered by it I suppose.

I think possibly you should have to hold the key to turn your mic off rather than on?

You're joking right? Not using push to talk is definitely grounds for KoS, especially if you have an annoying voice.

You're joking right? Not using push to talk is definitely grounds for KoS, especially if you have an annoying voice.

Darwins law!

Annoying voice people are to be exterminated in my new world order.

Those going through puberty, those wretchedly annoying squeak-teens, best learn the value of silence... Lest they be felled by my fireaxe.

Edited by Rudette

I am not joking. I think it'd work really well. It's on as standard and really annoying to mute yourself.

I agree unfortunately there is no answer.

Myself and a m8 get bored with the easy mode game play that DayZ offers so we restrict ourselves with new ideas every so often to increase the difficulty.

This week we do not use TS when playing.

The week before was no military loot.

Before that was cant eat any food not given or taken from another player.

Makes things less... noobish.

Anyone can run around with 3rd person on using ts with gamma on full server hopping, combat logging, turning off shadows, disabling post-process and altering the tree and grass alpha all the time thinking yay I am good at this anti game :)

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 4

Myself and a m8 get bored with the easy mode game play that DayZ offers so we restrict ourselves with new ideas every so often to increase the difficulty.

Anyone can run around with 3rd person on using ts with gamma on full server hopping and combat logging all the time thinking yay I am good at this anti game :)

Beans for ingenuity!

For what ever reason direct has always been shite for me, no amount of tweaking gets it working anywhere well enough to be able to communicate decently in game. Teamspeak-perfect..Skype- Brilliant..anything else to do with my mic and sound- Awesome. Arma based direct of any sort with hours of tweaking - Crap.

I have never really paid attention to this before but I never realised how immersive in game chat was. A few days ago I was in the office/school in Elektro and I was looting the upper floors suddenly I heard two guys chatting. Instantly I started to panick and get my weapon out. Thankfully they moved off.

It got be thinking that if they had been using Skype or team speak then I would have never had heard them and would have probably walked in to them. However I understand that without Skype or other third party voice software, it would be very hard for people to meet up. It is so much more immersive with the in game chat.

What's everyones opinions?

How does the in-game chat work? Is it like planetside 2 with separate channels for like group chat,  local chat (immediate area around you) and things like that? Neither of my clans will be playing this game and I will most likely just be playing with my boyfriend and possibly another friend so we will stick with the in-game voice chat. No point in starting a new Ventrillo channel just for this unless we eventually decide to create our own Dayz clan.  :D

Anyone can run around with 3rd person on using ts with gamma on full server hopping, combat logging, turning off shadows, disabling post-process and altering the tree and grass alpha all the time thinking yay I am good at this anti game :)

I've actually been getting up to something like this as well, I think it's a great idea to challenge yourself.

On top of the things you mentioned, I also restricted myself to using only in-game means of navigation (road signs, book for translation of said roadsigns, in-game map/compass, knowledge of land). Quite fun!

Edited by Sab

For what ever reason direct has always been shite for me, no amount of tweaking gets it working anywhere well enough to be able to communicate decently in game. Teamspeak-perfect..Skype- Brilliant..anything else to do with my mic and sound- Awesome. Arma based direct of any sort with hours of tweaking - Crap.

Direct is directional

TS and Skype and the like are not.

You are probably just not used to the effect an audio prog has when its directional.

Example : In arma when someone is using direct you need to face them to hear them properly.

If your using a surround system then your gona have problems getting used to the difrence between TS none drectional sound and ingame directional sound. 

I am not joking. I think it'd work really well. It's on as standard and really annoying to mute yourself.

I would simply unplug my mic and run TS on the laptop - there I've fixed your annoying always on mic and am forever muted in the game.

Direct is directional

You are probably just not used to the effect an audio prog has when its directional.

Example : In arma when someone is using direct you need to face them to hear them properly.

If your using a surround system then your gona have problems getting used to the difrence between TS none drectional sound and ingame directional sound. 

I have to agree with Hetstaine here, the in-game voice is shite. It's not because it's directional, it's because the sound quality is utterly crap, when I have to use direct communication I can often barely understand what people are trying to say, it's even worse than how built-in VOIP quality was in Steam and World of Warcraft back in the day.

I've actually been getting up to something like this as well, I think it's a great idea to challenge yourself.

On top of the things you mentioned, I also restricted myself to using only in-game means of navigation (road signs, book for translation of said roadsigns, in-game map/compass, knowledge of land). Quite fun!

You should play with me and my m8.

We also restrict ourselves to never use out of game maps

We do cheat a little when we start we will pick an area and say meet here ! over ts or steam.

Then its ingame only.

Quite scary to enter the rendezvous town and see someone not knowing if its your m8 or not and if you should say HEY ITS ME or not ... 

• Like 1

How does the in-game chat work? Is it like planetside 2 with separate channels for like group chat,  local chat (immediate area around you) and things like that? Neither of my clans will be playing this game and I will most likely just be playing with my boyfriend and possibly another friend so we will stick with the in-game voice chat. No point in starting a new Ventrillo channel just for this unless we eventually decide to create our own Dayz clan.  :D

Not sure how it will work in the final version but in the mod there was group, vehicle, direct and side I believe. Right now it's just direct which is the immediate area. I guess when vehicles are added they'll add a vehicle chat channel.

I have to agree with Hetstaine here, the in-game voice is shite. It's not because it's directional, it's because the sound quality is utterly crap, when I have to use direct communication I can often barely understand what people are trying to say, it's even worse than how built-in VOIP quality was in Steam and World of Warcraft back in the day.

Weird its fine for me and my m8.. as-long as we look at each other when talking (Works best when we stare into each others eyes and say "I LOVE YOU") but that could just be us ?

But yer I agree it needs some work but I would say its better than using TS and the like  for just the less "cheating"(1) it feels using only ingame.

(1) DISCLAIMER : The word Cheating used only in reference to how it feels to certain individuals preferring to not use outside aps when playing DayZ. Not referring to anyone as a cheat who uses TS while playing DayZ.

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 2

I would simply unplug my mic and run TS on the laptop - there I've fixed your annoying always on mic and am forever muted in the game.

Yeah, well most people would think of/be able/bother to do that, I'd have thought.

Edited by Pillock

Direct is directional

Yeah i get that :) The problem is i have to be about 1 cm away from someones face or they just cannot hear me, it just simply will not work if i am more than a foot or so away from anybody, facing them or not. Doesn't matter if use a 270 dollar headset and mic combo or a cheap desktop mic and like i said, no amount of mucking around or tweaks seem to help, i have been trying to get it working half decent since jul 2012 and no joy.

Direct chat is pretty short distance. You can find walkie talkies for in-game long-range comms though.

Weird its fine for me and my m8.. as-long as we look at each other when talking (Works best when we stare into each others eyes and say "I LOVE YOU") but that could just be us ?

Maybe it's hardware related like so many issues in this game, the quality is seriously bad for me.

Maybe it's hardware related like so many issues in this game, the quality is seriously bad for me.

Nar. I must admit that the direct chat is definitely lacking in its quality.

Though I do find it usable and preferable (in dayz) to the omnipresent TS.

When me and my m8 play we find that you need to press..wait..talk..wait..release for it to not cut off what your saying, either at the start or end.

Dunno if you have the same experience or not ? 

Nar. I must admit that the direct chat is definitely lacking in its quality.

Though I do find it usable and preferable (in dayz) to the omnipresent TS.

When me and my m8 play we find that you need to press..wait..talk..wait..release for it to not cut off what your saying, either at the start or end.

Dunno if you have the same experience or not ? 

When I have had to use direct comms it seemed immediate for me, none of that cutting off, just the quality was so bad that I found it unbearable. Also I just prefer to use TS until there's some sort of "whisper mode" or a wider range of hand signals. :P