Sign in to follow this  
ChimpyGlassman (DayZ)

FPS in Cities

Can monitors affect frame rate as well? I've noticed even after upgrading a lot of my stuff I'm still topping out at 60 fps and that's the way my old graphics card was too, but on my girlfriends computer with a different monitor and my old gpu, she gets like 80fps sometimes

The only real effect monitors have on framerate is the resolution and the refresh rate, i.e. You don't see the effect of >60fps on a 60hz display.

Can monitors affect frame rate as well? I've noticed even after upgrading a lot of my stuff I'm still topping out at 60 fps and that's the way my old graphics card was too, but on my girlfriends computer with a different monitor and my old gpu, she gets like 80fps sometimes

Vsync limits your fps to the refresh rate of the monitor, as detected by windows and/or the gpu.

This is a good thing, due to any extra frames beyond the monitor's refresh rate will go to waste.

Push enough "extra" frames above the monitor's capability and you will start getting what i call "over tearing".

Vsync limits your fps to the refresh rate of the monitor, as detected by windows and/or the gpu.

This is a good thing, due to any extra frames beyond the monitor's refresh rate will go to waste.

Push enough "extra" frames above the monitor's capability and you will start getting what i call "over tearing".

The downside being that unless you use OpenGL any framerate under 60 will lock your framerate to 30, and any under 30 will lock to 15. This isn't so bad but the main reason I don't use vsync is it makes my mouse movement feel laggy.

I mixed the settings up last night, some things on max, some things disabled and I got crazy mixed results.

Highs of 120 FPS running from town to town/in the wilderness and lows of 15 PFS in Cherno.

I will do some overclocking and try again tonight.

Never known like it.

I get 20 fps and 12 fps while zooming and in the worst parts a.k.a Cherno suburbs I get max 15 fps and a slideshow if I zoom in. To me it's okay since I can just avoid those parts completely. I refuse to put my render resolution below 100%  :D

Edited by Sutinen

The -winxp command gave me exactly 10 fps increase, now i got like 30-35 in Electro which very playable even in 1st person. i used to avoid big cities :D

The -winxp command gave me exactly 10 fps increase, now i got like 30-35 in Electro which very playable even in 1st person. i used to avoid big cities :D

No crashes or anything as a result of doing this? I have heard some people warning against it but I'll try anything at this point to avoid 18 FPS in big towns/cities.