schofie1d

Just died of heart attack, incredibly stupid

sometimes i think I may have a HA irl from this game  with the silent zombie and the unseen assailants. I KNOW i have jumped and "bitch squealed" a couple times when getting shot from nowhere as it seems i am a bandit magnet. I can be in the middle of BFE on a server with 4 peeps and the other 3 are in the same location and harboring bad intentions. Gawd i love playing this game. 

OOPS my bad.........should have said TESTING this game.  :P

Sometimes, I feel like I run the risk of getting addicted to adrenaline like some cops do, from this game. When I had the heart attack in game my heart rate probably accelerated IRL, lol...

No. This did not happen. Mod clearly stated that he ran for a long time, it said his heart was beating faster, then it said he felt numb, then it said he soiled himself.  NOWHERE IN THAT DID HE EVER STATE THIS HIS CHARACTER HAD AN IRREGULAR HEART BEAT LIKE YOURS, OR THAT HE WAS GOING TO PASS OUT, AND THEN DIED.  These are not the same things, they are different wording, and since you never stated that any of what happened the mod happened to you for all we know they are completely different from one another. So stop using it to say it was "reproduced", what was reproduced was completely different from what happened to your character.

Now i will post this, because i still don't believe you died from a heart attack on a stable server, patch notes for the EXPERIMENTAL SERVER (not stable):

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175096-update-rev-036115535-experimental-branch/

Lastly even if this was just a glitch on a stable server and you are completely truthful and right in what happened; Asking a question and then berating the first few people that to post and make fun of you will not make others respect you enough to post something well written, they're just going to see how you respond and think you are a child that doesn't know what they're talking about.

you are clearly an asshole and I have no need to impress or court the response from people like you, and I will sometimes respond to rudeness with rudeness. I did not fire the first shot, get over it.

Also, the mod reproduced error messages that were very similar to mine that he had not seen before. Sorry it isn't your textbook definition of a reproduction, but there is definitely a variable here that the mod confirmed ON THE SERVER I STATED.

The fact that you keep insisting I was on an experimental server shows how closed minded you are

Edited by Inception.
Another personal insult. Warned.

also i think the mod was just trolling to be honest, because i doubt any game designer would waste time to put something like that in the game; nor has it been mentioned anywhere that what the mod experienced is in the game (or being worked on).  troll mod.

also i think the mod was just trolling to be honest, because i doubt any game designer would waste time to put something like that in the game; nor has it been mentioned anywhere that what the mod experienced is in the game (or being worked on).  troll mod.

Jesus Christ man.

• Like 1

My diet consisted of only soda, water, tuna and the random can of baked beans.

I may have died from a shitty diet, that is a reasonable answer

Anyone else think this is possible in normal branch servers?

I haven't had a heart attack in the game myself, or actually seen one yet, so I don't have a full 100% idea as to what actually causes them. However from the Sacriel stream where rocket joined him for a while and was talking about it, I think it can be 1 of 4 things. 

1- Your diet; as the guy you quoted said, dieting is something that is supposed to be coming into the game. As to whether or not it's fully there, or the basics of dieting are in, it could have played a part as to why you had a heart attack. The things that you listed probably wouldn't be too healthy to constantly eat or consume large quantities of at a time. 

2- Exhaustion; you said you were looting Zelenogorsk, doing a mix of sprinting and walking between and inside buildings. Zelenogorsk is a big place, and sprinting frequently with very short rest is certainly a great way to get your heart rate up. Perhaps this now has an affect on your shock system too, and pushed it too far so you ended up having a heart attack. I haven't read anywhere about you saying whether you stopped and rested after seeing the message, or slowed down to a jogging or walking pace, but I imagine once that message pops up, stopping or slowing you pace down drastically would reduce your chance of having a heart attack in the next few minutes. I've seen you list your gear and it doesn't seem like you had too much on you, depending on how much you define "a normal amount of food and drink" is. But gear already has an affect on your characters stamina levels, again, probably contributing to the heart attack. 

3- Shock; I haven't read it anywhere, but perhaps a slight fall (you know, the silly slip a metre or two down the stairs in arma type thing), getting hit by a zombie or a player within a certain amount of time (no idea how long, say maybe 30mins of gametime prior to heart attack) or something like that, that has the potential to damage you slightly and increase your shock metre. I've hear in the thread that unconsciousness and heart attacks happen when you shock metre is higher than your blood or health level or something? So perhaps it was that. 

4- A combination of all the above; Obviously everything all at once will have a huge affect over time. It doesn't have to have an immediate affect, but say a punch up with a player 30mins ago, combined with consumption of poor dieting foods 20mins ago, and sprinting through towns looting in between and after could all add up to create a heart attack in say the next 5mins time. 

My guess is the reason for it to be put into the game is to make people actually look after their characters more. Consider the necessity of the items they're carrying and dropping anything they don't need on a long distance trip. Eating properly in a more balanced way rather than consuming 8 cans of food and drinking water from a fountain 30 times in 2mins. Or sprinting that 5 or 6 kilometres from Solnichniy to Elektro. All these kind of things that people have now gotten used to and have been taking advantage of since SA's release, were actually meant to have negatives to them. They didn't before, but perhaps they do now. 

Previously in the mod, you could sprint quickly for about 200-300 metres, after that the speed dropped off until about 500 metres after starting the sprint, you "sprint" at jogging/ running pace. I imagine they're trying to bring it back to a more realistic state and add negatives to different mechanics, and this obviously being a BIG negative. Hopefully people actually testing this out can confirm the theories people have posted in this thread to find what actually causes it. 

• Like 1

Jesus Christ man.

^Thank you to all the people who were helpful and/or calling out the posters who were being entirely unhelpful. Sorry if I came off as annoying/rude to some, I was simply trying to get to the bottom of the problem or if there was one at all. 

Can we have characters spawn with rare genetic defects that cause seizures, or Tourette syndrome that causes loud screams and curses randomly, attracting nearby bandits? Maybe we can have diabetes or have random allergies, like wheat allergies that cause us to die when we eat spaghetti. How about lactose intolerance that causes cramps, groaning, and vomiting after eating powdered milk?

If we can have heart attacks I mean, why not?

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 1

I had assumed that the heart attacks would be caused by using multiple epi_pens on someone. Sounds like an entertaining way to kill someone or suicide.

Random heart attacks actually make zero sense in a survival game. It makes as much sense as brain aneurysms.

Can we have characters spawn with rare genetic defects that cause seizures, or Tourette syndrome that causes loud screams and curses randomly, attracting nearby bandits? Maybe we can have diabetes or have random allergies, like wheat allergies that cause us to die when we eat spaghetti. How about lactose intolerance that causes cramps, groaning, and vomiting after eating powdered milk?

The heart attacks aren't random unlike your examples.

I had assumed that the heart attacks would be caused by using multiple epi_pens on someone. Sounds like an entertaining way to kill someone or suicide.

Random heart attacks actually make zero sense in a survival game. It makes as much sense as brain aneurysms.

They aren't random.

Edited by solodude23

As much as an interesting experiment it would be, it's not something that should be put into the game. Not because it's PC to leave it out, but because it's bad game design to have something completely random that isn't controllable by the player and can give you huge disadvantages. This heart attack system has to be down to player choices and actions, it can't be random. 

• Like 1

As much as an interesting experiment it would be, it's not something that should be put into the game. Not because it's PC to leave it out, but because it's bad game design to have something completely random that isn't controllable by the player and can give you huge disadvantages. This heart attack system has to be down to player choices and actions, it can't be random. 

I agree 100%. I like heart attacks, and I didn't mean to attack... heart attacks in general, I was just mad that this happened in stable and for seemingly uncontrollable reasons with no way out of it.

I want to try to reproduce this and see if painkillers would help.

Also, can you defib yourself if you are still alive? Would the electric shock correct your heartbeat?

Edited by schofie1d

If you could get heart attacks from eating crap for a day or two, or doing overly strenuous exercise when you're not used to it, I wouldn't be alive in real life.

No, I don't know how the nuts and bolts of this game mechanic are being implemented, but I REALLY don't like the sound of it.

I am almost 100% sure I did not eat or drink anything at least 5 mins prior to the first warning message saying the following was displayed-

"My heartbeat feels irregular"

Literally in 5-10 mins I was dead. 

If this is in the game, there must be a fix for it!!

I cannot play this game for hours just to die by something I can do nothing about and that is intentionally put in the game. Absolutely, totally stupid. So mad

LOL...you are playing on the TEST server...testing shit out and reporting your happenings is your job.  Not going on forums and complaining about losing your player on the TEST server...I mean..really?!  Why would you have any concern for a toon on the EXPERIMENTAL TEST SERVER? 

LOL...you are playing on the TEST server...testing shit out and reporting your happenings is your job.  Not going on forums and complaining about losing your player on the TEST server...I mean..really?!  Why would you have any concern for a toon on the EXPERIMENTAL TEST SERVER? 

Relax, if you've looked you'd notice there's been 6 previous pages of people spouting off just as you have.

Now lets carry on with this topic, shall we? (No need to reply to this guy OP)

If you could get heart attacks from eating crap for a day or two, or doing overly strenuous exercise when you're not used to it, I wouldn't be alive in real life.

No, I don't know how the nuts and bolts of this game mechanic are being implemented, but I REALLY don't like the sound of it.

Well here's one thing you do know now: It won't work like your first sentence. (No offence intended, it just wont.)

Edited by solodude23

I have been playing on this character for a few days, and was looting in a random small town. I was incredibly geared out, ammo/weapons/food/supplies, and all of a sudden-

"My pulse feels irregular"

wtf?

"I feel like I am going to pass out"

You are dead

Seriously, this is incredibly stupid. No words can describe my frustration at dying not by a glitch, not by a hacker, but by a god damn heart attack.

Anyone else had this happen to them? What am I supposed to do in this situation? Can defibs be used on yourself? Do you really have to carry a defib around at all times to save yourself from this RANDOMLY GENERATED GARBAGE?

What about painkillers?

Seriously, I am mad. 

Whoa, that's just ... totally cool!

I don't know why I am still in this thread, but jesus christ dude, it has been said 100 times, I WAS NOT IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH.

Don't you think I would know if I had farmed a bunch of gear on the test servers? I even listed what server I was on.

Unless you are just trolling, then 8/10

I want to try to reproduce this and see if painkillers would help.

Also, can you defib yourself if you are still alive? Would the electric shock correct your heartbeat?

I think just stopping what your doing, and resting can be a solution. A slow one obviously, but a solution none the less. As for defibing yourself, don't think it's possible as of yet, maybe in the future. Should only defib someone in the game who has an irregular pulse. 

This video should give a whole load of info about it all from about 8.30 onwards: http://youtu.be/0PExkBTofho?t=8m30s

Edited by Yorkie065

Hearth attacks are randomly generated which I think is the MOST stupid thing ever...you're supposed to fight your way to survival in this zombie infested country just to live long enough to randomly sucumb to a hearth attack that has no chance of being stopped

• Like 1

This is probably just a timed/delayed servermessage, they look like indicatornotification. OP died probably thru a glitch after the messages appeard.

The heart attacks aren't random unlike your examples.

First of all, I was being sarcastic.

Second, Major risks factors for hear attacks include genetics, and being male. So, yes partly random.

Third. The only other Major risk factor that would play a role in DayZ would be high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, both of which are also effected by genetics.

Causes of high blood pressure: Stress, Lack of physical activity, too much salt, being overweight, etc.. The only viable one for DayZ in this list is Stress. Even then, heart attacks due to stress alone are rare.

Most of the foods available in DayZ are heart-healthy and would be part of a good healthy diet.

One of the major steps to reducing high cholesterol: Enjoying at least 150 minutes a week of aerobic physical activity. Plenty of that in DayZ.

Besides, it takes years of living an unhealthy lifestyle to do this. Eating only beans for a few days and running around  a lot would not be enough to cause a heart attack. More likely you would just become exhausted, and need rest.

No, I don't know how the nuts and bolts of this game mechanic are being implemented, but I REALLY don't like the sound of it.

^This

Edited by WolfgangErikson

This is probably just a timed/random/delayed servermessage, they look like indicatornotification. OP died probably thru a glitch after the messages appeard.

Oops double post

Edited by Guest

Not a fan of random heart attacks. There is realism and there is fun, this is most definitely not fun and shouldn't be in the game. Have sickness sure but heart attacks? no thank you.

Excersize and healthy eating

lay off those donuts

ROFL

this is awesome

Oh come on... truly the heart attacks are not random? Either they are glitched or they are a result of some sort of msiudnerstanding. Do we even know exactl what causes this?

• Like 1