Sign in to follow this  
edwardsunny

some mechanics of the game

Hi guys I'm new to this game and I would like to know more before purchasing it as I'm deeply interested in it but haven't played the mod in Arma 2 before.

So first thing first, about join a server, is it a must? I mean there is only multiplay mode right? Please forgive me for my ignorance. About this, is the server running only officially so there is an anticheat stuff? I guess we all hate cheaters.

And for some in-game things, I heard that if we died, we lost everything. So how do you guys make a living in the game? Feels like kind of tense if keep dying and looting before advancing surviving skills or even getting used to the gameplay. 

Is it when we go offline, the character goes too so it won't be like sleeping in somewhere else and get killed?
And does the inventory of my character gets reset when I go into another server?

I guess I have all of my questions up there. Thanks for all the help:)

Hi and welcome to DayZ.

1. Yes, the game runs on a dedicated server. You join one like others do, some things run on your PC some things run on the server but everything you have and happens to you is saved on so-called hives, databases where your charakter files lie.

Maybe there will be private server in the future, but currently you are forbidden to make your server private or to kick people or to establish rules like PvE or similiar.

Anti-Cheating is provided by a system called BattleEye.

At least, this is how I understood things.

2. You are right. You die, you lose everything. But, your body should stay for 10 minutes in the place you died. So there is a chance you could run to it and loot your stuff back.

In the future, there will be storage containers persistent on a server, where you can put stuff in and regear from there. And base building may have an appearence. The latter is far in the future.

Be prepared for dying a lot. Dying from starvation/thirst, Infected, falling, getting shot, drwoning and so on. Mostly from getting shot on sight, especially in the spawn regions along the coast.

There are many players who are paranoid, bored or simple assholes that will shoot you from a bush, 400 meters away, just for their amusement.

It will happen. A lot.

But try to enjoy the game, it is great so far and the feeling when you see another player for the first time is great.

3. If you log out, your charakter stays in game for thirty seconds, sitting on the floor. In this situation, you can easily be killed by Infected or other players. Make sure you find a save place to log out, like a forrest, bushes or such. Especially, look out for Infected. Their target aquiring is pretty broke at the moment, the can see you from hundreds of meters even with objects in the way. So wait for thirty seconds before logging out if one is following you from the last town you went trough and you didn't see him yet.

If you change server, your charakter keeps everything you had. Only difference is: There are Hardcore, Regular and Experimentel Servers. You have one character on each of this server types. Hardcore has only 1st-Person-View, Regular has 1st- and 3rd-Person-View, Experimental are only accesable via setting your DayZ game to Experimental, but it is not necessary and would lead to far for now.

Have fun and remember: This is an early alpha of the game. There are many features missing, there are many bugs and you will die to circumstances you can't have influence on. Just try to enjoy it or come back after a few weeks to find new content and a fastly growing game. :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to DayZ.

1. Yes, the game runs on a dedicated server. You join one like others do, some things run on your PC some things run on the server but everything you have and happens to you is saved on so-called hives, databases where your charakter files lie.

Maybe there will be private server in the future, but currently you are forbidden to make your server private or to kick people or to establish rules like PvE or similiar.

Anti-Cheating is provided by a system called BattleEye.

At least, this is how I understood things.

2. You are right. You die, you lose everything. But, your body should stay for 10 minutes in the place you died. So there is a chance you could run to it and loot your stuff back.

In the future, there will be storage containers persistent on a server, where you can put stuff in and regear from there. And base building may have an appearence. The latter is far in the future.

Be prepared for dying a lot. Dying from starvation/thirst, Infected, falling, getting shot, drwoning and so on. Mostly from getting shot on sight, especially in the spawn regions along the coast.

There are many players who are paranoid, bored or simple assholes that will shoot you from a bush, 400 meters away, just for their amusement.

It will happen. A lot.

But try to enjoy the game, it is great so far and the feeling when you see another player for the first time is great.

3. If you log out, your charakter stays in game for thirty seconds, sitting on the floor. In this situation, you can easily be killed by Infected or other players. Make sure you find a save place to log out, like a forrest, bushes or such. Especially, look out for Infected. Their target aquiring is pretty broke at the moment, the can see you from hundreds of meters even with objects in the way. So wait for thirty seconds before logging out if one is following you from the last town you went trough and you didn't see him yet.

If you change server, your charakter keeps everything you had. Only difference is: There are Hardcore, Regular and Experimentel Servers. You have one character on each of this server types. Hardcore has only 1st-Person-View, Regular has 1st- and 3rd-Person-View, Experimental are only accesable via setting your DayZ game to Experimental, but it is not necessary and would lead to far for now.

Have fun and remember: This is an early alpha of the game. There are many features missing, there are many bugs and you will die to circumstances you can't have influence on. Just try to enjoy it or come back after a few weeks to find new content and a fastly growing game. :)

Thanks bud!! You're giving me a so great view of the game! I guess I would purchase it at the moment to see how it's going !!

So as of you know, just curious, is there or would there be any new features from the original mod?

Coz I feel like the game is making from the mod and to be standalone and currently should have been moving all features from the mod to the standalone.

How about the site of respawn? I heard of that people are trying to keep dying to get a better respawn site. Seems like a good idea to do so. But how am I gonna find or locate a better respawn site? Or can I change the site manually?

And usually what are you guys trying to do in the game? Like searching from place to place for better loots? and keep living of course!!

Thanks for everything!! :)

Thanks bud!! You're giving me a so great view of the game! I guess I would purchase it at the moment to see how it's going !!

So as of you know, just curious, is there or would there be any new features from the original mod?
Coz I feel like the game is making from the mod and to be standalone and currently should have been moving all features from the mod to the standalone.

How about the site of respawn? I heard of that people are trying to keep dying to get a better respawn site. Seems like a good idea to do so. But how am I gonna find or locate a better respawn site? Or can I change the site manually?

And usually what are you guys trying to do in the game? Like searching from place to place for better loots? and keep living of course!!

Edited: (I guess I just messed up with the reply quote stuff :P)

As to your questions:

Many features from the mod will be implemented and many new are/will be added. It just takes time.

There are around 10-15 spots you can spawn at, chosen randomly. Whenever you die, you spawn in one of them. People choose to commit suicide because they either spawn to far from their friends, spawn in a looted town or spawn too far from big cities or military bases. Personally, I find it dumb, because a skilled player should be able to survive no matter the location.

As to what people are trying to do, it's usually getting better gear, so that you can defend yourself, and then it depends on your attitude. Some become bambi-killers (killing freshspawned players), some become bandits that try to ambush others, some become bambi-killers/bandits hunters, some become medics who are willing to run all across the map to fix your broken leg and some are between all these options, so they just try to survive, help who needs help and kill who deserves death.

Edited by yogi92

Hello there

Please, ensure you read all the sticky threads here as they will give you a lot more insight into all aspects of the game.

Also, check the links in my sig before you mash the buy button :)

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

You're welcome!

yogi92 and orlok gave you good advise. I don't have much to add.

One thing to add: Playing alone ins fun. But if you play in a group, you have someone to talk to on those long runs and over all it makes more fun when there are buddys around. But this is my opinion and depends on your play-style.

Another thing, regarding your forum posts:

You can use the "Quote"-Function to answer other posts, make sure your courser is below the "brackets" of the text from the other person.

If you want to edit what you have written, use the "Edit"-Button on your own posts, make your changes, then use "Save Edited Post" (or something similar) below the window, it should be the left "button".

So you doesn't have to make three posts to say the same. ;)

#1, the point of the game is how players interact with one another. There is no pve or 'exploration co op mode'. Most of the 'content' is provided by players, and their interactions. You will have unique experiences in this game because of that. Some of them may be bad, but they will all be memorable.