Sign in to follow this  
Iarfur

Blacksmithing

So the crafting system is being worked on and expanded, we'll soon see bows, spears and similar weapons and I was wondering if there's any chance of primitive blacksmithing being in the game? Wouldn't need to be too complex, add scrap metal as a lootable resource, with a hammer, pliers and a fireplace you'd be able to craft some basic equipment/weapons. Add scrap metal to the fire, and if you have the right tools you get the option to create a few items - knife, spearhead, arrowheads etc.

And before you start complaining, I know that blacksmithing is a complex trade that take years to perfect, that a fireplace and a rock is a poor substitute for a proper forge, but really, any idiot can heat up a piece of rebar and hammer it untill it takes an edge, sure, it wont be as good as blade you buy, but it'll get the job done.

Making crafting resources relatively easy to come by, real manufactured tools/weapons in working condition rare, will lend a nice post apocalyptic feel to the game, not to mention making players really happy when they finally find a fireaxe and can trade away their homemade spear.

It's an OK idea.But just don't let us use a pickaxe to mine shit,This is not minecraft

...that a fireplace and a rock is a poor substitute for a proper forge...

Really, it's not a substitute at all.You can not heat up iron in a normal fire so much that you can properly work on it.

And if I wanted to do stuff like that in a game, I know where my dwarf can find the ironforge. If you get my drift ;-)