Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Water purification

I would like to see water purification being more serious. I assume since there is purification tablets ingame there will be use for them at some point. But how severe will it be? Is water from pumps going to be generally clean or not?

Would be quite interesting to extreme and make most water sources less pure so tablets would be a very sought after thing.

But I really hope they wont make the screen fade teh colors for sicknesses too because having to play black and white is not fun

I think water pumps will always be clean, but with swamps/lakes/streams/ponds you will be taking a chance if you don't purify.

Edit: I may be wrong about the pumps

Edited by solodude23

You can either use the water-purification tablets or possibly boil the water from what i know.

My suggestion,is to make almost every water source contaminated,so it is actually hard to find drinkable water.

The real "safe" option would be to implement something like "Rain water collection" as i have posted in a post topic.

Edit:Sorry in advance for my shamless bump.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173577-rain-water-collection/#entry1772358

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

From what I've been hearing drinking from pumps is going to become pretty risky, and drinking from a pond downright suicidal.

I would like to see water purification being more serious. I assume since there is purification tablets ingame there will be use for them at some point. But how severe will it be? Is water from pumps going to be generally clean or not?

Would be quite interesting to extreme and make most water sources less pure so tablets would be a very sought after thing.

But I really hope they wont make the screen fade teh colors for sicknesses too because having to play black and white is not fun

Yes it will be in game at some point, the normal water points should still remain pure though so most players wont even notice a difference. If you're one of those that has trekked inland, become thirsty and stopped at a nearby stream or pond then you will require tabs as the game progresses. As for how severe it will be, we can only wait and see.

If pumps are always 100% clean then you can throw the whole purification stuff out of the window, because there are so many pumps around you will never have to drink from a dirty source.

Perhaps it should be randomized for each server, pumps can by dry for several hours or dirty so not every pump contains water or has drinkable water.

If pumps are always 100% clean then you can throw the whole purification stuff out of the window, because there are so many pumps around you will never have to drink from a dirty source.

Perhaps it should be randomized for each server, pumps can by dry for several hours or dirty so not every pump contains water or has drinkable water.

The general consensus is that although the pumps are common the towns will also become much more dangerous with a large increase in zombies, less ammunition, firearms, canned food and supplies etc. Once hunting and hypothermia and such is involved you may find yourself camping inland by one of the many streams or ponds instead of just booking it to the water fountain having to hardly sidestep the three zombies in the entire town.

• Like 1

I can see this turning into people hoarding water purification tablets and then you're right back to where we started with all water being drinkable.... for some.

Then you'll have people trying to explore and dying of sickness and thirst because you can't find a randomly generated solution.

Pumps aren't rare, but once zombies are plentiful and dangerous and servers are up to 100 people, getting to pumps will be a challenge unto themselves.

I can see this turning into people hoarding water purification tablets and then you're right back to where we started with all water being drinkable.... for some.

Then you'll have people trying to explore and dying of sickness and thirst because you can't find a randomly generated solution.

Pumps aren't rare, but once zombies are plentiful and dangerous and servers are up to 100 people, getting to pumps will be a challenge unto themselves.

Unless they plan to change the contents of the first aid kit it wont be that uncommon to have tablets. Not to mention once they work as intended and 12 pills actually means 12 uses then people wont really need to hoard.

Water purification will be done in two manners, in the same way as the mod, tablets and boiling. With weather now becoming an influence on your health (not implemented yet but soon will be) this means fires need to be built in order to keep warm, this also leads onto the ability to boil water.

Personally I'd like to see all water infected both pumps and ponds, it increases the survival aspect and leads into the back story of how the infection was spread. There is an argument for only certain pumps to be infected as anyone with a keen eye on history will know about the Broad Street cholera outbreak in London in the 1800's.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak

What would be a nice addition would be the collection of water from rain and theoretically that would always be pure.

Water purification will be done in two manners, in the same way as the mod, tablets and boiling. With weather now becoming an influence on your health (not implemented yet but soon will be) this means fires need to be built in order to keep warm, this also leads onto the ability to boil water.

Personally I'd like to see all water infected both pumps and ponds, it increases the survival aspect and leads into the back story of how the infection was spread. There is an argument for only certain pumps to be infected as anyone with a keen eye on history will know about the Broad Street cholera outbreak in London in the 1800's.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak

What would be a nice addition would be the collection of water from rain and theoretically that would always be pure.

I think infected water can mean infected with bacteria, not just the zombie virus/bacteria. And is rain water really that safe to drink?

Edited by alleycat

Could be acid rain. Not safe to drink and a damn good reason to take cover so not to degrade your clothes.

Sgt.Oddball, on 17 Feb 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Could be acid rain. Not safe to drink and a damn good reason to take cover so not to degrade your clothes.

that would be an awesome thing for a map that's inner city-ish, cherneus is just too... clean? don't think acid rain would happen unless theres like 5000 zombies on the map, would make more sense

that would be an awesome thing for a map that's inner city-ish, cherneus is just too... clean? don't think acid rain would happen unless theres like 5000 zombies on the map, would make more sense

What does the number of zombies have to do with acid rain?

I doubt that acid rain will be implemented regardless, cause the effects of acid rain will be too much to calculate particularly if they're adding fishing and such things.

Edited by LeChat

If the rain is infected, then *everything* is infected except for what is in tins. All the plants would be infected (and if you are talking acid rain they would all die), animals and fish would also die if that was the case. 

For me, I think the survival aspect is improved by the ability to collect rain. If it needs purifying that would be OK, I suppose, but I do think that all easy sources of water should be infected; ponds and pumps, but that is purely down to balancing the game more to the survival aspect.

I think you are using infected for all things poisonous ingame. Rain water does not have to be infected, it can simply be too sour for safe drinking. And regular infections ingame could be various ilnesses, not a zombie virus

• Like 1

You could make every single water source infected but as soon as fires are out it won't matter that much. It wont really have that big an impact on the game unless the number of water sources was drastically reduced, but that would kind of break immersion. You wouldn't really see a bunch of towns spring up in areas that don't have access to water.

You could make every single water source infected but as soon as fires are out it won't matter that much. It wont really have that big an impact on the game unless the number of water sources was drastically reduced, but that would kind of break immersion. You wouldn't really see a bunch of towns spring up in areas that don't have access to water.

But said access to water might diminish or become faulty if there's no one around to maintain it.