Sign in to follow this  
punkvegita

Persistent Container AKA Tents? coming next update

I really like the idea of having a goal to work towards. Going to my spot, hiding my pack, running back to a military base to find a new pristine camo one and filling it back up, rinse and repeat.

if we can drop backbacks and they survive server restarts, that would be the best news ever.. I think.

Yeah, then I could safetly take backpack off and put somewhere on the ground while I go sniping from hospital roof.

Yeah, then I could safetly take backpack off and put somewhere on the ground while I go sniping from hospital roof.

Or I can just hang one on the tree next to my sniper spot.

Maybe just have a low limit to the amount of stuff you can store long term, so even if a guy does die and goes back to his stash there really isnt a ton of stuff so he can just re-gear like nothing happened.

Only so many slots and one per player etc. Would force you to choose what you want to save long term, food or water or clothing or ammunition or other supplies etc as there isn't room for everything.

I would think that is why they would start with backpacks. You can store a backup weapon and some food and water, but not really a ton of stuff and no rifles.

The best you can do, assuming you use a decent backpack is a shotgun, a .45 or .357 some ammo for both, food, med kit and some misc stuff.

how would it work though.. would it just stay on the server you dropped it, or if you were away from it and disconnected would it vanish as well and then reappear at the same spot if you rejoined at a later time a different server?

I think they should stay on whatever server you dropped it on. Start the eventual hive process. 

There is what will happen:

People will save items on low populated servers, and server hop to populated servers.

So best place to look for hidden stuff will be those 0/40, 2/40 servers.

I think they should stay on whatever server you dropped it on. Start the eventual hive process. 

I highly doubt they would have these across servers or you'd have backpacks popping out of nowhere around you.

I highly doubt they would have these across servers or you'd have backpacks popping out of nowhere around you.

I didn't say that? I think you misread my post.

There is what will happen:

People will save items on low populated servers, and server hop to populated servers.

So best place to look for hidden stuff will be those 0/40, 2/40 servers.

That's a self correcting problem as the low-pop servers would cease to be low-pop.

I didn't say that? I think you misread my post.

I was saying, that I think you don't have to worry as I'm sure they'll bind to the server where they were dropped.

Noooooooooo.....

No Persistent storage please.  Death should have some consequences.

it does. you die and lose all your stuff, and you're faced with the ego-crushing squeals of teenagers or arrogant douches in the background tapdancing on your corpse.

this is enough of a consequence for me

• Like 2

That's a self correcting problem as the low-pop servers would cease to be low-pop.

Nope, people would just log in, take/leave gear at backpack/tent and server hop back to populated server in 1 minute.

• Like 1

hmm now that I think about it, if they were to implement some sort of system that would randomly select a certain percent of your stored loot in containers upon your death and delete them, or degrade the quality of said items by a degree per death, it would not only give insensitive for people to stay alive, but would also give some minor penalty for death.

example:

upon your death you return to your tent/container/handbasket/lockbox/hollowed out pumpkin and there is a message upon opening it that says something alone the lines of "It appears that this (storage device) has been looted/broken into/whatever

etc. 

• Like 1

Nope, people would just log in, take/leave gear at backpack/tent and server hop back to populated server in 1 minute.

I meant, as people start joining those servers to scavenge other people's backpacks.

hmm now that I think about it, if they were to implement some sort of system that would randomly select a certain percent of your stored loot in containers upon your death and delete them, or degrade the quality of said items by a degree per death, it would not only give insensitive for people to stay alive, but would also give some minor penalty for death.

example:

upon your death you return to your tent/container/handbasket/lockbox/hollowed out pumpkin and there is a message upon opening it that says something alone the lines of "It appears that this (storage device) has been looted/broken into/whatever

etc. 

Now your thinking evil you would almost call that a death tax aye.....

Ps to the guy saying it not perma death why do the devs call it perma death and why on earth do they give you a different blood type on respawn if not to indicate the old you is dead this is new improved you lol..

Hell if this storage item back pack what ever is small i think it wouldnt be hard to hide it on a full pop server even when they go 100 players.. tents where hard to hide cause they were easy to spot something backpack size much easier to hide..

I meant, as people start joining those servers to scavenge other people's backpacks.

But then comes private servers, "[XYZ] clan only or kick* that wil be up only when some admin and his squad is farming/picking up/hiding his loot and then go down when admin of that server and his squad server hop to public popular server.

Kinda pay to win.

Edited by Frosti

I was saying, that I think you don't have to worry as I'm sure they'll bind to the server where they were dropped.

Gotcha, makes sense now. Yeah, they need to stay on one server and not tp with you to new servers

I dunno think I would prefer "my" stuff to come with me no matter the instance of the world im playing on and when i'm not in the world no one else be able to nick it..

I dunno think I would prefer "my" stuff to come with me no matter the instance of the world im playing on and when i'm not in the world no one else be able to nick it..

We all wish that, but my house in real life doesn't go away when I go to bed. 

you dont think that would be immersion killing??? im standing there you log on server and i am in the bush your storage spawns in next to me.. or i find your storage and you log out as i am looting it and it vanishes..

We all wish that, but my house in real life doesn't go away when I go to bed. 

very true, i'm just saying its one of the things that always bugged me about the mod, you spend hours in the game world say sorting out a vehicle and all because you can't play for a day or two it's lost.. to me that sucks. 

you dont think that would be immersion killing??? im standing there you log on server and i am in the bush your storage spawns in next to me.. or i find your storage and you log out as i am looting it and it vanishes..

yeah I can see your point as well but i'm sure some creative thinking could come up with something rather than, it can't be done, the end.

I recall somebody posting something about crates with a reddit post about it...can't find the link to that thread though