Sign in to follow this  
Mondodo

Are there player interactions that aren't allowed?

I'm a male and i've been 'sexually harrased' in the game, using the term loosely, several times, every time someone handcuffs you, takes your pans off and such it's quite obvious whats implied there, i've got even people go like "huh yeah suck it, you're a good boy" and stuff like that. I take it as part of the game since it's a post apocaliptic place in wich the worst monster you can encounter are humans willing to kill you for no reason at all, i've seen dozens on threads defending killing on sight and even going to the coast to kill other humans (dehumanized previously by calling 'em "freshies" for sport.

But when suddenly someone talks about do all this been done to a female player... Everyone looses their mind, grow the fuck up, if you suddenly have issues with this kind of stuff only 'cause they're been done to a female player you're the one that have mental issues, first, because we all are equal in rights, second, this is a postapocaliptic game oriented to mature audiences, and third because 'fuck you'.

It's rather stupid that in a game where you can kill each other torture and such, they tell us not to imply rapish speech, or racism, i don't do it, i don't like it but i take it as part of the game, if you can't see the difference between reality and fiction you're the one with problems and shouldnt be playing this or any game 'till you are threated.

I also think that the access to this game should be restricted to underaged players, you're under 18 on your steam account, you can't start the game.

Let morality sort itsel outf ingame, you dont like rapists HUNT THEM DOWN, you dont like racists HUNT THEM DOWN, you dont like maniacal killers HUNT... THEM... DOWN...

There's a difference between murdering people in a game where murder is part of the game, and creating a "rape" scenario out of your own fantasy in order to fulfill your desires of dominating another person sexually.. Male or female. Doesn't matter. I never specified whether the victim was male or female, so that shoots the shit out of half of your argument. 

Also, if you read back, I never condemned people for doing WHATEVER they want to do in the game.. I just suggested that if someone DOES have the desire to rape others, they should probably seek help. 

My lines between Reality and Fantasy are quite fucking clear, thank you.

• Like 4

There's a difference between murdering people in a game where murder is part of the game, and creating a "rape" scenario out of your own fantasy in order to fulfill your desires of dominating another person sexually.. Male or female. Doesn't matter. I never specified whether the victim was male or female, so that shoots the shit out of half of your argument. 

Also, if you read back, I never condemned people for doing WHATEVER they want to do in the game.. I just suggested that if someone DOES have the desire to rape others, they should probably seek help. 

I couldn't have said it better myslef.

Two words: trauma trigger

You can argue that it is a computer game, that it's not real, that it is rp-lolololol - all day, but the fact of the matter is: you still have no idea who is behind the screen and what that person has gone through and triggers are involuntary. If you're actually looking to RP, you'd probably already know that in RP communities these things are first handled OOC - to make sure that it is okay for all participants. Not all people are playing this for RP so not all people are IC when they play. From what I've seen there's just two RP servers about.

Then perhaps it is better to avoid a sandbox video game where someone would even be inclined to act out a rape.  I doubt the OP was talking about structured RP when they referred to it.  Many people do take on personas in this video game and do not use RP servers.  This is evidenced by the large amount of entertaining DayZ videos on YouTube. 

Nobody is acting like it doesn't happen in real life. But if you have a desire to role-play a rape in a video game the odds are you're probably a fucking sociopath. It's not crackpot psychology. Stop hiding behind the realism argument. Fact is, this is a video game and many of the people who play this game are teenage boys, and it's wholly probable that many of them would act out their rape fantasies in game, and it does indeed say a lot about their true character. Anonymity allows people to express their normally inhibited desires.. and as I said in my post: If your inhibited desire is to rape people, you probably need psychological help before you hurt someone in real life. This isn't a joke or an insult.. I'm being serious.

Furthermore, read this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

I can wholeheartedly assure you that an action done within a video game is indicative of nothing.  If that were the case, then where are the legions of pizza-faced boys toting their fathers' hunting rifles and shooting up the entire world so they can call in attack choppers for bonus points?  I think it is pretty presumptuous to decide a person's motives and true desires for them simply because of how they act online.  I also have absolutely no desire to rape anyone in real life, but as said by someone else virtual male rape already happens in this game and I would jokingly do this sort of thing to my friends or some asshole we have captured.  Would I rape an actual person, male or female?  Never.  I don't do it in a video game because video games lack heavily-weighted punishment; I do it because it is a funny happenstance to me.  If that irks you, write it off as a disagreement about what is sacred and what isn't.  However, I am able to laugh about the act and not condone it at the same time.  There is a difference.  I may joke to a friend about raping their character on DayZ, but I would do something to stop a rape in the real world if I witnessed one.  To say that rape cannot be part of a survival simulation when both it and murder would and do happen in similar real-world scenarios is very ignorant.  I'll hide behind the realism argument all I want because that is largely the aim of this game.  All unsavory mechanics the developers don't want to add can be acted out anyway.

• Like 1

After experiencing awesome and sometimes horrific player interactions I started to wonder if there are stuff you can't say to people without risking a ban?

Can you be as racist as you want? If I capture a woman can I roleplay some rape?

Also, if you read back, I never condemned people for doing WHATEVER they want to do in the game.. I just suggested that if someone DOES have the desire to rape others, they should probably seek help

You're not the center of the world Etherimp, i agree with you in the green sentence.

Btw, as i said, i take as part of the game pretty much anything, everything's gone to trash so there's people killing for fun, rapists, racists, people that helps expecting nothing back.

Good or bad, i think it should be allowed. Obviously im not talking about game exploits.

Edited by BrainlessZombie

Then perhaps it is better to avoid a sandbox video game where someone would even be inclined to act out a rape.  I doubt the OP was talking about structured RP when they referred to it.  Many people do take on personas in this video game and do not use RP servers.  This is evidenced by the large amount of entertaining DayZ videos on YouTube. 

I can wholeheartedly assure you that an action done within a video game is indicative of nothing.  If that were the case, then where are the legions of pizza-faced boys toting their fathers' hunting rifles and shooting up the entire world so they can call in attack choppers for bonus points?  I think it is pretty presumptuous to decide a person's motives and true desires for them simply because of how they act online.  I also have absolutely no desire to rape anyone in real life, but as said by someone else virtual male rape already happens in this game and I would jokingly do this sort of thing to my friends or some asshole we have captured.  Would I rape an actual person, male or female?  Never.  I don't do it in a video game because video games lack heavily-weighted punishment; I do it because it is a funny happenstance to me.  If that irks you, write it off as a disagreement about what is sacred and what isn't.  However, I am able to laugh about the act and not condone it at the same time.  There is a difference.  I may joke to a friend about raping their character on DayZ, but I would do something to stop a rape in the real world if I witnessed one.  To say that rape cannot be part of a survival simulation when both it and murder would and do happen in similar real-world scenarios is very ignorant.  I'll hide behind the realism argument all I want because that is largely the aim of this game.  All unsavory mechanics the developers don't want to add can be acted out anyway.

And yet, there's been a study done which suggests that people who enjoy griefing others are more likely to be sadists, psychopaths, and narcissists. If you joke around with your friends about raping them, that's fine. I am not judging you. I am not saying you shouldn't. If it's all in good fun, whatever. Nobody is getting hurt. If you and your friends are not rapists, then my statement is not for you. Got it?

Now, let me make my point crystal fucking clear for everyone reading because it's obvious that some of you have missed the point.

1. I am glad that DayZ is a "moral free zone". I would never encourage Dean or the Dev team to implement restrictions on player behavior in game, assuming no hacking is involved.

2. I am ultimately not judgmental of peoples actions. 

3. I have no doubt in my mind that there are people who play DayZ which are capable of raping people IRL, and they *MAY* attempt to act out this fantasy in game for some level of fulfillment/enjoyment. *IF* this is the case, and the person who this statement applies to is reading this, then I am recommending with no irony or insult that they seek out professional help so that they do not hurt someone.

• Like 1

You're not the center of the world Etherimp, i agree with you in the green sentence.

Btw, as i said, i take as part of the game pretty much anything, everything's gone to trash so there's people killing for fun, rapists, racists, people that helps dont specting nothing back.

Good or bad, i think it should be allowed. Obviously im not talking about game exploits.

We're saying the same thing then.. I do not understand where your "You're not the center of the world..." statement comes from though. 

Handcuffing survivors and taking their pants is a Chernarus national hobby as popular as embracing new spawns.

Rape is simply a waste of time to code in.

Plus who the hell puts rape in a "wish it was in the game" notebook ? Unless your character in game is so full of jelly of such a bursting e-penis you cant control the awesomesauce anymore...

Despite the RP bullshit argument, and coming from a decades long GM with the most debauched groups in P&P Cyberpunk ( DayZ is babyfood compared to it ), there is very little reason and reward in EVER allow it in the game.

Only reason to include it in the game is you OP.

Your innate individual satisfaction.

No point arguing or throwing cheap rhetoric around.

• Like 3

Hello there

Although many of you are handling the subject matter in an intelligent way, I can forsee this going way off topic, and as the OP has had his answer Im going to close this.

We're as gaming forum lets try to stick to that.

Again, I applaud those trying to give reasonable views but its going way off topic.

One can roleplay as much as one likes but expect to be kicked if one steps over reasonable humanistic bounds, whether in the "rules" or not.

Can you get "banned"? No as has been pointed out, thats down to VAC and  BE.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1