Demoth

When is weapon damage being tweaked?

EDIT: Made a report ticket here. Please upvote it if you agree. http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=8924

I made a topic about this before, and certain people were taking this the wrong way as me blasting Rocket about it. That's not the case, but I definitely think that despite the current weapon being a placeholder, they need to understand that this is not the right direction, at all.

My friend and I were in the North West airfield when suddenly he got shot in the face. He realized it was a headshot because now his pristine cowboy had and glasses were badly damaged. I had overwatch on him as I was a good 600 meters away with my LRS Mosin. I then watch as my friend (being silly and looking in the wrong direction I was warning him the guy was coming), the dude manages to get behind him and fires his SKS one more time into the back of my friend's head. My friend goes down, and I snipe the dude.... but it took 3 hits to finally down him.

So I come running back to my friend, I epi-pen him and bandage him and he gets up. Now his hat is ruined and his glasses are ruined, so we are assuming this means he was shot 2 times in the head and survived.

So yeah, please Rocket, don't let this damage value stay in place because it's turning most close quarters fights into spray and pray affairs

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 6

Weapon damage is fine.

It's the items that the bullet goes through now, that reduces the nett damage to player.

• Like 4

Just put ballistic helmets in all your inventory slots for some bullshit humorous armor. And watch people rage at how long it takes to kill you.

• Like 2

Agreed, authentic weapon damage is pretty much a must for DayZ IMO.

This ain't Insurgency. xD

Weapon damage is fine.

It's the items that the bullet goes through now, that reduces the nett damage to player.

I'm sorry, but a baseball cap and aviators aren't going to stop a 7.62x39mm round being shot from 3 feet away.

This ain't Insurgency. xD

Well, still, it's trying to be somewhat true to how things work. Arma and the DayZ mod were pretty well known for their realism with bullet trajectory and ballistic characteristics. I currently rock the M4 only, and I've murdered a LOT of people because shotguns, SKS's and Mosin rounds are not enough to take me down. I have had to use 3 morphine injectors, a splint, eight bandages and receive a couple saline bags, but no one has been able to drop me because I just load my character with gear and replace all my clothes after getting shot and I'm basically a walking tank.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but a baseball cap and aviators aren't going to stop a 7.62x39mm round being shot from 3 feet away.

Thats what i said...

Bullet damage isnt the problem.

The problem is that "absorption values" are out of whack.

• Like 3

Thats what i said...

Bullet damage isnt the problem.

The problem is that "absorption values" are out of whack.

Sorry, misunderstood.

Sorry, misunderstood.

S'all good.

As for when (or for that matter IF) they fix that... dunno.

Not a whole lot has been said by dev crew about this topic.

I think theyre just testing some shit in order to finalize a more accurate system for gear/items damage as per the shot placement.

Edited by Wheunis
  • Like 1

I think that the (too big) random dispersion is a more important issue. Weapon are almost completely still but you play the lottery where the bullet will land. Give us sway and breath control, and reduce random dispersion drastically.

Dunno, I hit a guy from 300+ metres with me mosin and killed him.  I was so proud.  Although it did take me 10 shots to finally hit the bugger.

Dunno, I hit a guy from 300+ metres with me mosin and killed him.  I was so proud.  Although it did take me 10 shots to finally hit the bugger.

If this happened more than a week ago, irrelevant.

If it happened in the last few days, then you got lucky.

He couldve been low health already.

Shirt contained no items (i run empty when looting risk zones, with backpack stashed at hiding spot).

Headshot with no protection.

Or combinations of those.

The damage absorption values from items are way whacky at the moment...

I think that the (too big) random dispersion is a more important issue. Weapon are almost completely still but you play the lottery where the bullet will land. Give us sway and breath control, and reduce random dispersion drastically.

I've been wondering about this... It could be possible that certain aspects of gun play have been loosened up in such a way as to facilitate a passive skill/exp system? The more people you shoot, the easier it becomes to shoot... until you get killed, and then you start from zero again. Rocket alluded to something like it with the medical system on Sacriel's stream.

I've been wondering about this... It could be possible that certain aspects of gun play have been loosened up in such a way as to facilitate a passive skill/exp system? The more people you shoot, the easier it becomes to shoot... until you get killed, and then you start from zero again. Rocket alluded to something like it with the medical system on Sacriel's stream.

It could be.

But that system is sooooooooo far down on the roadmap, we are literally closer to zombie theatre performances, than what we are to that.

It could be.

But that system is sooooooooo far down on the roadmap, we are literally closer to zombie theatre performances, than what we are to that.

Oh of course! but what if the more random dispersion rate we have today is the base floor of the system they plan on for later. This gives them a chance to test and tweak to find a starting level of dispersion/ recoil for a universal base line. The foundation for the system to come that allows for progression.

Yes, damage is incredibly low. We shot a guy 4 times with M4's and he still survived. We thought he was dead for sure, but he was just uncoscious. He started shooting again, and it took 3 shoots to kill him! Everything on him was ruined! WTH is this?! Items shouldn't absorb so much damage!

Edited by TSAndrey

Seems like we have the problem as in all Arma games. Only a few high caliber weapons are useful and realistic, the rest are bad or at best-mediocre. 

I thought that the damage balance was fine until they added the "stuff your clothes with shit and become invincible" thing lol xD it just needs some tweaking, because i've experienced everything from watching someone shoot a dude with 4 mosin shots to the chest, to being axed 4 times, shot twice with sks, and then punched by a bambi, and I still survived. 

S'all good.

As for when (or for that matter IF) they fix that... dunno.

Not a whole lot has been said by dev crew about this topic.

I think theyre just testing some shit in order to finalize a more accurate system for gear/items damage as per the shot placement.

After playing some more last night, it truly is getting pretty out of hand.

Some dude shot my friend about 50 times with an M4, finally rending him unconcious.... unconcious.

So I manage to find him looting my friend and plugged him in the legs with a Mosin. He gets up, bleeding and then starts booking it. I shoot him in the legs again and break his legs because he suddenly drops to the floor and tries to crawl around in the middle of the runway in Balota airfield. I shoot a few more times, missing, and then tag him in the back. Still crawling. He then thinks he sees me, fires, goes dry so I rush him.

Then get to him and I just hear him say, "Fuck you, just kill me. You ruined all my mags, so you're not getting anything good". So I plug him in the head. He' wearing a motorcycle helmet that looked pristine, but I shot him in the face and suddenly his helmet model goes to crap and he's like, "Ow". So I shoot him in the helmet again, and he's like, "What are you doing, shooting me in the finger?" So I shoot him in the head AGAIN. And he's still talking... meaning he's unconscious.

So with a ruined motorcycle helmet, he still took an additional 2 Mosin shots, point blank.

I edited the OP to put my report ticket in about this.

If you too believe that absorption rate for bullets it insane right now, please upvote it.

I really don't like people becoming walking tanks because they stuffed a protector case in their pants. But yeah, it's currently turning everyone into a walking tank, so any gun other than the M4 at most ranges is useless.... as well as the fact that you can survive multiple Mosin shots, so it's pretty easy to tell where you're being shot from, rush their position and then hose them down with spray-and-pray (killed 3 wouldbe snipers that way last night).

Dunno why people still do this, if you unload onto another player, you'll just ruin everything they have and be unable to use any of it.

But I suppose you will still get your precious little Call of Duty kill.

Edited by zaphodity

Dunno why people still do this, if you unload onto another player, you'll just ruin everything they have and be unable to use any of it.

Or it could be because they're attacking you......

Exactly right.

I dont give a flaming squirrel's asshole about your shitty gear.

All i'm here for is the kill.

Matter of fact, ruining all the gear on purpose is part of the process. Knowing how pissed off he will be when he ran back to his corpse only to find...... NOTHING!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the upvotes.

Hopefully we can get some balance back to how weapons work.