alleycat

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

Posted this on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xtgmi/is_there_going_to_be_any_incentive_for_nonviolent/

Are developers dodging questions about this topic on purpose or am I imagining things? There is a lot of responses about many topics by rocket and hicks but for some reason questions about carebear enhancement are being ignored and why do rocket and hicks talk on reddit all the time but on the official game forum it is all ceremonial and rocket only shows himself in throne room (patch notes thread)?

So can we get a straight answer? Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

futurama-farnsworth-in-money-tank-o.gif

(community asking about carebear stuff on left, rocket on right)

Yes, there all ready is something ingame to prevent KOS. It's called ruined. If you shoot someone, you will ruin their gear, and get hardley nothing worth taking. With this in-game, test sever, I would imagine bandits would much rather hold someone up and take their stuff, instead of KOS. 

P.S. 

You cannot KOS what you cannot see. 

Edited by zor_prime1

Nothing they give will stop me from killing you, it pisses people off to the point where that is the reward in and of itself

This is the type of player mindset that will stop me from buying the game.

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

Yes, many more silly hats and boots are planed to come into the game, so that when you wear them you look like a clown, automatically making you appear more foolish and benign and thus making the bandits more likely to laugh rather than shoot at you.

Even if there was nothing to be gained from killing another player there'd still be people who would kos, so you put the man pulling the trigger in a more dangerous position -> more zeds attracted to gunshots.

But even then it's not going to stop, best thing to do is to always be wary, never trust other players aside from your own wolfpack (even then had my friend shoot at me thinking I was some other guy trying to sneak up on him).

This  game isn't cod, or bf4 where you respawn and shrug of your death like it's nothing, this is a game where you have to be cautious, and the most dangerous element of all are other players. I've seen many people walk around in the middle of the road or carelessly searching through buildings/organizing their inventory on dangerous hotspots, that's just asking for trouble.

I will be blunt here. For those of you that say that KoSing is a prime feature in this game, you are psychos. If you KoS just because it's fun, or you're bored, you would be dead if this was RL. For everyone else that has a more... logical reason, like extreme paranoia, or very anti-social, you're still nuts, but at least I would give you a chance to calm down before I blow your brains out.

Clearly your the one with issues. This is a game, get it, a game. assuming that people who KoS act like that in real life and sugesting that they have some mental issue is just plain over the top. DayZ is a sandbox that means you can do whatever you feel like doing, if thats killing on sight then that is perfectly legit gameplay regardless of wheter or not you agree with it. But comparing it to what would happen in real life and labeling those people as psychos just shows how misguided you are.

This is the type of player mindset that will stop me from buying the game.

Then why are you here crying about it.

• Like 1

I cant, you would never understand, its beyond you to grasp it.

Your reply above shows why you will never understand it, you care only about benefits and yourself, so impossible to sell it to you.

Judgemental much? Maybe he doesnt grasp it because its a stupid idea. Ever thought about that?

People consider this a pvp game more so than a hardcore survival game. Will that change when more aspects come into play? Maybe...

Theres a game called Call of Duty. If you can't handle getting shot in DayZ, go play that game. You have an infinite amount of lives and keep your gear on death.

• Like 2

I have been told over and over again that this Standalone has a new user base than the original mod.I have also been told that this is an alpha and it won't follow the original's path of development.I got news for you new user base players....out of 2 million copies sold so far,do you think that you are the only ones playing this game at this point? Get real. This game isn't based on real life aspects of survival. Its just another game.Please get over the fact that you cannot rely on the developers to make it a game of social decency within an (imaginary) zombie apocalypse. You have been watching too much Walking Dead which,by the way, is also fictional entertainment.If you do not like the way this game is developing or being played you have these options: 1) go play with like minded individuals on servers that cater to your particular gameplay. 2) Get your money back from Steam or trade your game out to someone else or chalk it up to a loss of $30. 3)Wait and see what develops as the devs release it to its final stage and don't play until that happens. 4)Deal with what you been given,just like the rest of us,adapt and hope you get better at it as it progresses. Other than that, STFU and stop all this BS crying over a  fictional game.

Edited by AdmiralBull

Then why are you here crying about it.

Who's crying?

I come by every now and then to see what progress is being made with the game and to see if issues like the one in the OP are being addressed.

The game seems to be maturing nicely...Pity the same can't be said about the playerbase.

The way things look at the moment, I doubt I'll be buying it.

On the other hand, it may be worth buying just to combat log all the time. That might be worth it just to piss people off...That's rewarding in itself...right?

Sometimes you have to play the cards you've been dealt. That's where you see those who try to make the best of it, and those that just quit.

If anything, i feel that the walking dead, and other zombie survival fantasies are attracting a crowd with unreasonable expectations. You're not gonna be the hero in this game, you're not gonna have an epic adventure, unless you really fight for it. Everyone want a slice of cake and nobody is willing to share.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

Nothing will EVER make someone not KoS you.

Get that idea out of your head. RIGHT NOW!!!

As much as you might dislike it, the penalty could be a 7day ban from that server, and people will STILL DO IT.

If you want to play a purely pve zombie game, maybe look somewhere else.

DAYZ IS NOT THAT GAME.

This.  :)

• Like 1

On the other hand, it may be worth buying just to combat log all the time. That might be worth it just to piss people off...That's rewarding in itself...right?

I hate to break it to you but combat logging doesnt work you stay in game for at least 30 seconds after you've logged out which is plenty of time to kill you.

I hate to break it to you but combat logging doesnt work you stay in game for at least 30 seconds after you've logged out which is plenty of time to kill you.

Not long enough imo.

Should be 3 minutes atleast.

Then when private hives come in your character never leaves the server you need to sleep.

This alone would push people north and force them to barricade or build a house before they leave the server.

Not long enough imo.

Should be 3 minutes atleast.

Then when private hives come in your character never leaves the server you need to sleep.

This alone would push people north and force them to barricade or build a house before they leave the server.

There really needs to be some kind of time limit, not everyone can play every day or even every weekend. Those that do already have to fairly well give up on the idea of persistent storage between sessions, they should at least get to keep their inventory. Maybe if your character went AI when you log out. That would be interesting.

I'm not one of these players, but I can FULLY advocate the mindset.

You are dead wrong on that point. The one where other games give better pvp.

CoD and BF and all it's kin DOES NOT give me the oppurtunity to completely ruin your day and invalidate everything you have "worked" so hard to get with just a single click or two...

and THAT is why DayZ pvp, and specifically KoS or CoD playstyle is so appealing to that specific type of audience.

Thank you, someone gets it. Us bandits don't play CoD, because despite you bambis and your retard thinking CoD could never be this game. You can't respawn in 10 seconds full geared in this game. That is CoD. You die and have to get all of your shit back which might take an hour or two. We get off on that. It gives us a big boner to ruin your day.

Your character is starving to death.

You find a can of beans.

I pop up behind you and tell you to give me those beans.

Nope, i dont need them right now, but there is a sniper nest with my smell all over it that needs a few more hours of tending and i will need it eventually anyway.

You seriously wanna convince me that you will give me those beans, resulting in your death from starvation within the next minute?

Naw. Tell you what.

I'm gonna kill you before you or me or anyone even knows those beans are there.

This is my territory and I will make sure that besides me, nothing but roaches survive...

Also, this is my fun! My territory! Pry it from my cold dead hands, and you have earned it!

Thats what I enjoy.

By the way, im shocked at the lack of creativity from some folks...

Youre so attached to your gear, but never do anything to prove it!

Here, i will help you out.

You log into your favorite server.

My, plenty people on today! Better be careful!

You logged out about 500m outside the town you call home.

You decide that RIGHT NOW you are in need of new bandages, a pack of ammo, and a can of beans. Hell, if you get lucky you might run across that black banadana youve been itching for...

STOP. DO NOT GO INTO THAT TOWN YOU IDIOT!!!

Make a proper note of your surroundings. I mean PROPER!!! How many trees were EXACTLY 90 degrees left of you at 200 metres?

Not sure? Then you werent proper about it!

Now that you know the exact blade of grass you were standing on...

Drop your backpack.

Take EVERYTHING you do not NEED out of your clothes and put in pack. If your pack is full (imo) youre prolly doing something radically wrong...

NOW, go do a blitzloot of that town. In and out. Dont dawdle. Dont inventory tetris. Dont grab shit you dont NEED.

Get in, get your shit, get out.

STOP YOU MORON! Are you SERIOUSLY running a STRAIGHT ROUTE BACK TO YOUR GEAR?!?!

NO!

Take a slight detour. Make sure youre not followed.

NOW go collect your gear and move on.

What do you lose if you die? A few pieces of clothing, maybe a pistol, and the X minutes it will take you to megasprint your way back to your PROPERLY stashed gear.

Needless to say that an observant player will know the server restart schedules of the servers he frequently plays on and has added to his/her favorite list...

What I am getting at is this: if you care sooooooo much about your "hard earned gear" (dont make me laugh) - then PROVE IT!

MAKE A GODDAMN EFFORT!!!

What you don't get is that after they introduce more zed's that are harder to kill (3-4 hits with an axe or a headshot), fatigue so you can not outrun them, introduce health problems and infections so you have to take care of yourself and what you eat/drink (no more water straight out of the pond), and at the same time decrease military grade loot and long range attachments, ammo, food, antibiotics, etc., you will have a though time gearing up after you die, and if you are a lone sniper you will die eventually no matter how good you are.

If you kill 1, 2 or 3 people from a group of 5 or 6 before you die they will just secure their equipment and wait for the guys that died to get back and pick up stuff that is not ruined, along with your gear, you on the other hand will have to gear up alone in such a dangerous environment. So what if it will take 10 hours to find a long range scope for your mosin on your own, or even longer?

People in groups will have advantages over lone wolfs later in the game and your gear will become more precious for you then for people in groups or clans that help each other out.

Edited by CrniVarg

even if there were incentives, i would still shoot you.

Yes but you won't survive it against a group of people and even if you kill me my group will take care for me when i get back :P