Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

Make most melee weapons have some use

Damage per swing needs to be adjusted.. melee weapons have to have different reach, damage properties, stunning, maybe even different side-attack or backstab properties. Even though it's bulky, the fireaxe is the defacto best thing to pick up when it comes to melee for obvious reasons. Smaller weapons should have drawbacks, but not to the point they're useless.

• Like 2

What you want is removal of the invisible slinging-over-back inventory slot which allows you to carry a fire axe without anything holding it, and makes you instead have to always have the fire axe in your hands, or place it in your backpack sticking out of the top, forcing you to choose whether you want the smaller and slightly weaker knife that takes up 2 slots or the Axe who takes up 6 slots of space in the pack.

Ya, so when the burning city hacks come in we can put those fire extinguishers to good use!

• Like 1

What you want is removal of the invisible slinging-over-back inventory slot which allows you to carry a fire axe without anything holding it, and makes you instead have to always have the fire axe in your hands, or place it in your backpack sticking out of the top, forcing you to choose whether you want the smaller and slightly weaker knife that takes up 2 slots or the Axe who takes up 6 slots of space in the pack.

And the answer will always be the fireaxe, because it 1 shots zeds, and zeds are broken and cheesy so letting them live longer than a second runs you the risk of having them faze through walls or hit you when they aren't facing you.

Or you could take the smaller melee weapon, I guess, that only takes up 2 slots but currently takes 90 headshots to kill 1 zombie with.

I made a suggestion like this here but I agree melee should be more of a sidegrade system than a upgrade system

Well believe it or not dean hall did say in that 3 hour video (they made just before alpha release) that they want to eventually be able to place any item in your hands and it can be used to hit/strike so weapons to food tins..

I dont understand why the damage output of all melee weapons other than the axes are so unrealistically low?

I mean who's idea was it to define the damage ratings for each weapon the same as a piece of styrofoam?

I just assumed the guy was using velcro...

The current solution doesn't seem to take cutting into account. The big, heavy weapons are all good (the fire extinguisher is surprisingly good against zombies!), and the small, light weapons are all shit, even the machete, which should chop a zombie to bits with a few swings.

And the answer will always be the fireaxe, because it 1 shots zeds, and zeds are broken and cheesy so letting them live longer than a second runs you the risk of having them faze through walls or hit you when they aren't facing you.

Or you could take the smaller melee weapon, I guess, that only takes up 2 slots but currently takes 90 headshots to kill 1 zombie with.

Well yes, knives should be stronger too. Just as long as we never, ever have to hear the word "backstab" on the suggestions threads ever ever. Knives should have similar damage to Fire Axes but a smaller melee range.

Well yes, knives should be stronger too. Just as long as we never, ever have to hear the word "backstab" on the suggestions threads ever ever. Knives should have similar damage to Fire Axes but a smaller melee range.

But the should also be faster than axes. Or to put it better axes have to become slower than the currently are.

I've posted it a few different times, and in a few different threads, but... the problem with the blunt melee weapons isn't the damage, it's the way they swing. Go take a Fire Extinguisher, and put the crosshair right over a zombie's head, swing... it takes 2 or 3 headshots to kill it. The problem is, with EVERY other blunt melee weapon, they swing in a way that is so inaccurate it's ridiculous. Rather than swinging in an arc that at some point intersects with the crosshair, they swing about an inch under the crosshair on the screen, so if your crosshair is on a zombie's head, you're actually swinging and hitting at like like bicep level. If they would make the melee weapons swing horizontally at exactly crosshair level, you'd find the blunt melee weapons much more viable against both players and zombies without having to boost damage at all.

Also, I'd like to see them switch the Kitchen Knife to use a stab attack rather than the silly slash it's using right now.

Edited by dvsilverwing

All the melee weapens need a rebalance. In real life there is no way I would take a fire axe over a machete or even a baseball bat. Reason being I could swing the machete and baseball bat much more effectively. Fire Axes are just not designed for combat. 

Theye should all have advatages and disadvanges and be more sidegrades then straight upgrades. Though I would still make machetes the best melee weapon but really rare.