Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

Scope realism

I agree so much. There should be grime dirt distortion maybe even chromatic aberration going on when looking through big 800m scopes. And even a little bit of morphing on smaller scopes like acogs.

And of course being able to see the lens model it's self would be excellent as well. Some scopes already do this in DayZ and they do it very very well.

100% Agreed with OP

Comp%201_1.png

More example Images

2013-12-24_00002%20(0-00-00-00).png

maxresdefault%20(0-00-00-00).png

My problem is when you look down a scope that zooms at all, everything around the scope is zoomed as well, so you can look around the scope to see if anyone is coming from either side. Of course you can look to the side IRL, but IRL the world around you doesn't zoom with the scope.

Since they can't render it twice blurring everything around the scope slightly is better than being able to see everything around the it the same as inside.

A slight blur, just enough to not see details. Not as much as the above examples. Thats to much IMO.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

My problem is when you look down a scope that zooms at all, everything around the scope is zoomed as well, so you can look around the scope to see if anyone is coming from either side. Of course you can look to the side IRL, but IRL the world around you doesn't zoom with the scope.

Since they can't render it twice blurring everything around the scope slightly is better than being able to see everything around the it the same as inside.

A slight blur, just enough to not see details. Not as much as the above examples. Thats to much IMO.

Oh yea. Only a super quick ruff mockup there is way to much blur. 

Edited by exomonkeyman

In character customization Id like to see a shooting style (one or both eyes open)

IRL I shoot with both eyes open to increase my situational awareness. Some people use one eye because ots their preference. Both eyes open can look like it does now, and one eye could look like the original arma scopes (black screen with circular FoV)

I agree,

In reality all of your focus is inside the scope, so blurring around the scope is the best way to go IMO.

The LRS is fine since you would have your eye up against the scope itself.

Then again this video that someone edited to look real would be the best way to go for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iSUnzy2Lw

You dont put your eye UP to the scope, scopes have an eye relief of a few inches. That way you can SEE through the scope and dont get scope eye. Sorry, just wanted to correct this.

The human eye has a much higher 'resolution' than a standard PC monitor or TV. You would be able to make out detail and movement much more precisely in real life, so the blur would still not be realistic.

I think you are correct on this OP

If you have ever played Contagion the scope on the Sniper Rifle is the most realistic ive ever seen.

These are based on my experiences with hunting rifles

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/-Dl0EETTHlA/hqdefault.jpg

Ignore the PVP and Sniping thing, only pic i could find.

You dont put your eye UP to the scope, scopes have an eye relief of a few inches. That way you can SEE through the scope and dont get scope eye. Sorry, just wanted to correct this.

But your eye goes against the relief therefore up against the scope.

Personally, I don't really care how it gets done, but I want my scopes to actually zoom. Currently, it's more effective to hip fire and use the zoom feature that they don't allow while iron-sighting.

Man, that ArmA3 beta footage is hot! Sign me up... Anyways, I'm not so worried about FPS loss with all the optimization to be done.. I also plan on having a much more powerful PC near the Beta stage :)