MrKamikaze

Group Identification through Specific clothing

I think that it would be cool if you had a means to more easily identify yourself and people that you are hanging out with, by certain types of clothing you can wear. Don't get me wrong, you can wear similar or different clothing, but I mean something that would allow you to wear whatever you want and still tell who is in your group, so long as you have the items.

For example, I can imagine you being able to tie a bandana onto your backpack, upper arm, or onto your gun. They would stick out a bit, but it allows someone to look at you and say something like "ok, you have the blue bandana on your arm" or even if you found enough, your whole group could have one color bandana.

The reason why I am suggesting this is the fact that when all of my friends have military equipment, it is hard at a glance to tell the difference between them. I also think that it would be good for large groups or clans to have something they all could use to ID their group while allowing them to wear any clothing they want.

I also think it would be fun to learn about what a group uses to identify themselves, and wear it in order to confuse or mislead them.

I have a monogram id like to be able to spraypaint on my backpack. Maybe a small version on whatever im wearing on my head.

If this level of freedom is unmoderated, it could be used to exhibit certain sociological points of view, so maybe not such a good idea.

Would be cool though.

I understand. If added to the game, it could lead to people wanting to add more personalized customization to the game, such as custom decals. I just wanted to throw an idea out there that would allow identification without limiting player clothing choice.

From

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173572-chris-torchia-interview/

Q: Will the spray paint cans ever apply to more than just weapons? More colors potentially? Graffiti?

A: I know my answer will not be popular but I personally hope not. It will quickly result in an exponential increase of game data and work. As it is in the worst cases, for every item we make, we need 3 diffuse textures, two specular maps, material configs, class names in the cfg, etc. Imagine if we had 100 items which could be colored with the 7 primary colors. We would need almost 1000 more textures and material configs – all of which needs generated by artists, transmitted, and stored by servers and clients.

On the other hand, doing this dynamically is expensive on the performance of our game and for something which is nice to have, but not core, its probably not worth the cost.
Please understand, I'm not saying we won't continue with this feature or expand it slightly, but its not going to extend to all items and many colors unless we can invent the tech to do it dynamically with an acceptable performance hit.

I understand. If added to the game, it could lead to people wanting to add more personalized customization to the game, such as custom decals. I just wanted to throw an idea out there that would allow identification without limiting player clothing choice.

I may have been unclear.

This:

""For example, I can imagine you being able to tie a bandana onto your backpack, upper arm, or onto your gun. They would stick out a bit, but it allows someone to look at you and say something like "ok, you have the blue bandana on your arm" or even if you found enough, your whole group could have one color bandana.""

I agree with.

I took the idea 1 step further and it doesnt work the way i wanted for several reasons.