SirStriped

Show names or no?

I feel that if you get close enough to a player like hand shaking distance then you should be able to see eachothers names. I bring this up today because I was walking along the coast and ran into a new spawn and he sounded familiar. We both recognized we have met before but not where. Shortly after we were in the kamishovo (however it is spelled, next to elektro) talking in direct. Some KoSing scum came along and just shot us. I think it would help build a sense of community in DayZ. Sure some people might change their names but if you play on a server enough you would be able to tell who some others you run into are once in awhile.

Why not?

Exploit possibilities and it's unrealistic unless you carry around a balloon with your name on it.

• Like 1

Why not?

People with certain playstyles don´t want you to know their names

Bandits, Kosers, Trollers don´t want you to know.......

Serverhoppers, Ghosters...........

Like they don´t want logout/in timers, and and and

• Like 1

What´s more likely to happen is a death notification with nicknames. Like in the mod.

Probably.

But since you asked : No.

I think being within a few meters, showing the player's name could be akin to seeing their face, and doing so again would be like recognizing them. Right now, there are what, 4 different faces per sex (or skin tones, rather), and every one of them is otherwise identical, physically. Such a limitation means that I could interact with the same person a dozen times without ever realize they are the same person. There are people in my neighbourhood that I've seen fewer times than that, and from a distance, whom I can still recognize.

Edited by louist

Why not?

Because it's not World of Warcraft. I don't want to know your name unless we interact in a positive manner and I decide to add you to my friends list, at which point we can either:

a. Type in chat using the "/" key

b. Trade Steam names via voice communication

Because it's not World of Warcraft. I don't want to know your name unless we interact in a positive manner and I decide to add you to my friends list, at which point we can either:

a. Type in chat using the "/" key

b. Trade Steam names via voice communication

What about those people who have a negative interaction with? Would you not what to know who they are?

I would like to see a name when I point my crosshair(dot) on someone.  I don't want their name to always be above their heads or anything but I do want to know who the hell I am interacting with.

If we want realism but not a bubble with a name on it maybe a name tag? Okay still not very real in a Zombie World but you could only read it face to face and up close. That way you can make allies still but also the bandits could stay secret if they wanted as they always kill you at a distance and in the back anyway.

People with certain playstyles don´t want you to know their names

Bandits, Kosers, Trollers don´t want you to know.......

Serverhoppers, Ghosters...........

Like they don´t want logout/in timers, and and and

of course they don't, but shouldn't their playstyle influence how people react to them...and to know their names would help that

World of warcraft has nothing to do with what I was talking about. WoW you can see it from a mile away. KoSers wouldnt matter, same with ghosters and server hoppers. You have to be in a arms distance to know their name. Same as seeing their face however DayZ has a random respawn as _____ person. One day white, one day, asian, one day white again, one day black, one day black again. etc... etc... et.c...

What about those people who have a negative interaction with? Would you not what to know who they are?

If you are slugging shots at each other from 2 houses across a street, throwing insults each way, it's generally safe to assume you wouldn't be polite enough to open up with your name.

But yeah, we can tell each others names already if you just type in chat, or even tell each other your names in voip. I wouldn't like any kind of long range spotting device or permanent marker like the mod, interferes with gameplay.

Well in real life if someone attack you before and you got right behind them you would notice oh its that douche. In Dayz you sneak up behind someone that killed you before you realise oh hey stranger....

If you are slugging shots at each other from 2 houses across a street, throwing insults each way, it's generally safe to assume you wouldn't be polite enough to open up with your name.

But yeah, we can tell each others names already if you just type in chat, or even tell each other your names in voip. I wouldn't like any kind of long range spotting device or permanent marker like the mod, interferes with gameplay.

Knowing their names, with the ability to recognize them, would allow for fun rivalries.

Well I think something like this is a good idea, not sure the best way to go about it but yeah something like this will help ID some of "not-so legit" players among us.

It'll help towards identifying wall glitchers, aimbot users and so on. 

I'll give an example, was in Elektro shoool building when this dude thinks it's a good idea to try and punch me, I pull my magnum empty 6 rounds into him, he doesn't go down, I pull my FNX empty the mag into him, blood pissing out of him everywhere he still doesn't go down (I'm not the best shot but I'm not the worse) I pull my fire axe and charge at him, crack him on the head and the second I swing I get knocked out, I watch him loot me before coming to a few seconds later, I see his lifeless body next to me, strange I've been looted yet he's dead, I then start getting hit (screen flashes grey) I'm looking around (Oh I'm on the second floor by the way) I assume there's a zombie on the ground floor hitting me through the ceiling. So I run down to find a player rather than a zombie directly under where my body was. He starts swinging for me, lucky for me he only looted my axe and my magnum that I didn't have any ammo for, he left me the FNX that I had a few rounds left, so I'm running around outside of the school ejecting the mag from the FNX and reloading it, I get it loading and start firing, my screen is all grew not really being able to see well I miss a few rounds before I get him in the leg with my last few rounds, he goes down but not out. My FNX is empty now, I've got no ammo left at all, I've got no melee weapon but see a friend's body still lying there with a fire extinguisher still on him, I grab that and beat the fucker to death with it.

So this guy is clearly using some glitch to hit through walls and/or ceilings but I have no clue who he is and therefore unable to report him.

I had a similar issue just last night, me and 2 other friends join the experimental servers (on an 80 man server) when one of us starts getting shot at by the industrial area just outside of Elektro. Me and the other guy start making our way there when we see the guy who knocked out our friend, running along the street that runs along the right side of the hospital we go to engage but get hit with a real bad lag spike and he vanishes, I then hear a guy on direct chat talking to someone about someone else using a wall hack, I start heading towards the house I hear the chatter coming from. I circle the house only to be hit 2 or 3 times by what I can only describe as an invisible force, is this the guy who's using a wall hack?

So again, I think something like this would be useful but how it's implemented, I have no idea

Edited by RagedDrew

Well I think something like this is a good idea, not sure the best way to go about it but yeah something like this will help ID some of "not-so legit" players among us.

It'll help towards identifying wall glitchers, aimbot users and so on. 

I'll give an example, was in Elektro shoool building when this dude thinks it's a good idea to try and punch me, I pull my magnum empty 6 rounds into him, he doesn't go down, I pull my FNX empty the mag into him, blood pissing out of him everywhere he still doesn't go down (I'm not best shot but I'm not the worse) I pull my fire axe and charge at him, crack him on the head and the second I swing I get knocked out, I watch him loot me before coming to a few seconds later, I see his lifeless body next to me, strange I've been looted yet he's dead, I then start getting hit (screen flashes grey) I'm looking around (Oh I'm on the second floor by the way) I assume there's a zombie on the ground floor hitting me through the ceiling. So I run down to find a player rather than a zombie directly under where my body was. He starts swinging for me, lucky for me he only looted my axe and my magnum that I didn't have any ammo for, he left me the FNX that I had a few rounds left, so I'm running around outside of the school ejecting the mag from the FNX and reloading it, I get it loading and start firing, my screen is all grew not really being able to see well I miss a few rounds before I get him in the leg with my last few rounds, he goes down but not out. My FNX is empty now, I've got no ammo left at all, I've got no melee weapon but see a friend's body still lying there with a fire extinguisher still on him, I grab that and beat the fucker to death with it.

So this guy is clearly using some glitch to hit through walls and/or ceilings but I have no clue who he is and therefore unable to report him.

I had a similar issue just last night, me and 2 other friends join the experimental servers (on an 80 man server) when one of us starts getting shot at by the industrial area just outside of Elektro. Me and the other guy start making our way there when me see the guy who knocked out friend out running along the street that runs along the right side of the hospital we go to engage but get hit with a real bad lag spike and he vanishes, I then hear a guy on direct chat talking to someone about someone else using a wall hack, I start heading towards the house I hear the chatter coming from. I circle the house only to be hit two or 3 times by what I can only describe as an invisible force, is this the guy who's using a wall hack?

So again, I think something like this would be useful but how it's implemented, I have no idea

Problem is, you would be talking about long range name tags, as you aren't likely to get up close and personal to a hacker, but if that were implemented it would put the gameplay off for the rest of the users. And 99% of so called 'hackers' are people with desync issues, which is an issue because of the sole reason processing is being moved to server side in order to limit what hackers can do in the first place. I think Dean Hall once said that all the client is basically doing is 'rendering the environment and inputting keystrokes.'

No to the hud info. Not knowing makes the situation drastically different than knowing.

Dog tags looting a dead body? That maybe.

I'd even rather there not be a kill message, like the mod had.

Edited by Judopunch

Like one above mentioned, in real life you can recognice peoples faces to know who they are. And even more you can recognice well known people even without seeing her face, just her bodys. There are tall and small people, fat, thin, roundback, hollow back, low shoulders, high shoulders, wide and narrow, different styles of walking and moving. There are so many variations it´s nearly reliable as a fingerprint. So my opinion ist that we need some kind of replacement for this real life feature.

I don´t say a name should pop up from somebody lying on a roof or behind a bush 500m away.