kwhy (DayZ)

DayZ map expansion. go big and go home

So DayZ will probably eventually reach a point where players are probably going to want some sort of expansion like a map change.

So if this happens I figure some of the question that might come up might be...

What happens when players playing on one map join a server with a different map? Where are they going to spawn? Do they keep the same gear? Will there just be two different characters? Will the original map then just die because noone will want to host it?

Here is my thought on a much larger DayZ world that goes beyond just having one map such as the Chernarus Map.

+---------+----------+----------+
| future | expansion| here |
| map #2 | map #1 | map #3 |
| future | expansion| here |

map #1 - Chernarus map

map #2 - Westland (new expansion)

map #3 - Eastland (new expansion)

What if different maps were created to extend the size of the current DayZ world. Each new map would be linked in some way to the other maps by end boundaries (the current empty outer edges) where players could travel to and then unlock entry into the other map (other servers). So basically there is no portal or gate, but a huge open world area that you can sneak in/out of fairly easy.

so an example:

BanditBob is currently on map #1 which is the current Chernarus Map which is hosted by a number of different servers.

Tonight Bob is getting tired of popping caps on the light bugs on the beach near Balota so he decides he wants visit Westland in hopes to find something else to do. Currently because Bob is too far east of the boundary zone on Map #1 at Balota that he wouldn't be allowed to join any Westland servers so Bob heads west.

Bob finally reaches the western *zone area* which would stretch from north to south on the western edge and his account is flagged as being in that area (Westland=True). Maybe if he was North West he might even be flagged for Westland and whatever Expansion is North of Map #2).

Now bob logs out and finds and picks one of the many Westland servers being hosted. On login the game connects and does its ordinary datase lookup and checks to see if his character has been flagged and why yes he was flagged as being west of map #1 in the boundary area. So he can now log in and play on any Westland server. His starting point is east of Map #2 where some computer magic is done to place him in an area close to where he was from map #1.

Each map might also have to implement a starting point much like the one set now for new players. So basically the first player you create your server on is your home map. So essentially you could just join map #2 for a new player, but you have to travel east to reach map #1's servers.

Now If that character dies you can then choose any new map to start your character at and you'll be reassigned a new home map which of course should have a number of servers hopefully hosting it.

The sky is the limit on how big a world like this as long as there are a number of servers to host each map and a large enough player base to support it.

• Like 2

I think I read in an interview somewhere that they were planning on making the Chernarus map bigger

I think I read in an interview somewhere that they were planning on making the Chernarus map bigger

Don't think we need MORE maps, just expand on the one we have. I'm sure it can be changed. Expand it, add more towns/areas to it.

• Like 1

The open feel of the map is what makes it good. If there were towns everywhere the who survival thing would get old. And the map thats in the game is the whole map from Arma2, so the villages have already been placed, in addition expanding the map would require everything to be custom made and placed and named...or they could just expand into the operation arrowhead map, two separate terrains to choose from. Playing in the desert would be a whole different game, there is a much larger spread between towns as well

The open feel of the map is what makes it good. If there were towns everywhere the who survival thing would get old. And the map thats in the game is the whole map from Arma2' date=' so the villages have already been placed, in addition expanding the map would require everything to be custom made and placed and named...or they could just expand into the operation arrowhead map, two separate terrains to choose from. Playing in the desert would be a whole different game, there is a much larger spread between towns as well

[/quote']

I was under the assumption that the map size probably couldn't be much bigger due to limitations in the game engine, but it sounds like it can go much larger.

The only problem I see with that is if they just expand the map size then the player limitation is still around ~50 players per server so with a bigger map then the maps might feel empty. Nothing really wrong with that except I think if they cut up the maps and allow servers to host them that way then the maps will *feel* more populated.

I like the idea of adding basically a full map to the mod but I don't like the idea of requiring different servers... I think just occasionally adding the "westlands" then "eastlands" to the mod would make it better for different locations to spawn specific item sets as well as allow for more players on a server without everyone meeting at cherno, elektro or the nwaf.

Another map that you can only get to if you acquire a boat, and enough supplies to get you there. Just an idea. Somewhere along the voyage you exit and load into the new map. Or a map with several islands that you can only get to if you have the means.

• Like 1

I love that idea. I saw an interview where Rocket says they have looked at using Islands as a way of introducing more maps in the same world. It's early days so is probably at least a year off. Fingers crossed though.

Another map that you can only get to if you acquire a boat, and enough supplies to get you there. Just an idea. Somewhere along the voyage you exit and load into the new map. Or a map with several islands that you can only get to if you have the means.

Yeees I like this idea, each map must be linked by a sea border, to reduce issues of number of vehicles/items/players/zeds transferred.

It'd be cool if ye couldnt spawn on them either, you would have to make your way there by boat XD

How about we expand the current map about 3-4X it's current size? That seems like a bit of hassle just to travel.

Calm down this is still in the alpha stages, there is also beta and then the official release. You're thinking ahead a lot..

the map we have is HUGE. if you zoom out your map it gets really big. wouldnt mind adding new cities and military bases. maybe a nuke silo with an empty bay, a deepwater port, a battleship in dock we can run around in, a tent city overrun by the Zeds...

the map we have is HUGE. if you zoom out your map it gets really big. wouldnt mind adding new cities and military bases. maybe a nuke silo with an empty bay, a deepwater port, a battleship in dock we can run around in, a tent city overrun by the Zeds...

Or... Maybe, just maybe, that silo has missiles in it, but not nukes, and the missiles are capable of leveling 5-25% of the map. Once a missile has been used, there's no way to use it again, it's a finite supply of like 10 missiles.

Edited by CarloNord