Sign in to follow this  
naraga

How come the NW airfield is just about the safest place on the map atm?

^thread title.

When the mod was still "new", and months after, the NW airfield used to be just about the most dangerous place on the map. Every time you went there, wether the server was full or low pop, you were almost guaranteed to end up in a firefight. Near the end of the mods life cycle this changed, and almost no one went to the airfield anymore. I allways assumed this had to do with hackers, loot duping and the fact that you could have a few characters worth of gear stored in tents making going to the airfield not worth it anymore.

I fully expected the NW airfield to become a hotspot again in the standalone, but it just isn't. Despite spending alot of time at the airfield, I have not met anyone there yet in the standalone (and i've been playing since it was released). Doesn't matter wether the server is full, or almost empty. There just isn't anyone there. When I arrive all the doors are closed, all the loot intact.

Why is this? Do the Ballota and NE airfields yield so much loot it isn't worth the hassle anymore to trek across the map? Do people just not care about military loot anymore and simply want to fight eachother at the coast?

In fact, I have never met anyone outside of the coast and the NE airfield. Do people just not care enough to move in land at all in general?

• Like 2

The NWAF is filled with snipers lurking in the trees still on the servers I go to.  Also, most people are fully geared and stocked up on ammo so they head to the coast to kill new spawns for sport.

How large of servers are you playing on?

If you're playing on 1-10 player servers you probably won't run into anyone.

If you're playing on a 40 person server, then your definition of safe must be different than mine

Sat in a tree sniping for close to 2 hours on a 40/40 person sever, unlooted, and never saw a soul. Zombies never moved. 

• Like 1

I agree for the most part. Out of all the times I've traveled to NWAF on a full server, I've seen other survivors once (group of 2 armed guys). However, I never loot the buildings along the NE side of the strip cause it's too much in the open.

Edited by solodude23

How large of servers are you playing on?

If you're playing on 1-10 player servers you probably won't run into anyone.

If you're playing on a 40 person server, then your definition of safe must be different than mine

As I said, I play on all kind of servers, from low pop to high pop.

Someone once suggested that people are more inclinced to go to the airfield on low pop servers thinking there is a higher chance of not meeting anyone, hence I try them out aswell. But it just doesn't matter.

The game was released on december 16th, its now the 12th of february and as I said, I am yet to meet the first player on the NW airfield. I play regulary aswell.

I agree for the most part. Out of all the times I've traveled to NWAF on a full server, I've seen other survivors once (group of 2 armed guys). However, I never loot the buildings along the NE side of the strip cause it's too much in the open.

Honestly, I have completely given up being carefull at the airfield now. After I see the first doors closed I just run all over the place.

edit:

I only play on hardcore servers, think this has something to do with it?

Edited by naraga

Am I the only one who joins a server with 2 people and always gets in a firefight? I have killed on self defense more times on low population servers than when I join a friend of mine that likes to snipe at Balota from a tall building, on highly populated servers, and I play guardian dog. My last encounter was at the NW airfield. Lucky for us we both sucked at shooting while moving so we missed and I was able to force a stalemate that ended with the other guy hearing to reason and walking away.

Edited by Corto
  • Like 1

2 out of 3 times I go to NWAF I encounter something, either a fire fight, a fresh body, or spotting someone.. It's still a dangerous place, however its now not so easy to get to, before you could spawn in kamenka and run the road straight north to the airfield, now you're spawning in Berezino or solnichy and if you don't know the map well or have a compass its not an easy journey at all.

As I said, I play on all kind of servers, from low pop to high pop.

Someone once suggested that people are more inclinced to go to the airfield on low pop servers thinking there is a higher chance of not meeting anyone, hence I try them out aswell. But it just doesn't matter.

The game was released on december 16th, its now the 12th of february and as I said, I am yet to meet the first player on the NW airfield. I play regulary aswell.

Sounds like a bit of bad luck.  Go to the Balota Book Exchange server when it is nearly full and I guarantee you will run into other people or be sniped.

It's because you usually spawn on the east coast nowadays. People seem to bee-line for NEAF and the death-trap ship, or they get caught up deathmatching on Elektro/Cherno/Balota.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

i've seen loads there, almost got shot by a guy in the fire house tower but he missed and we teamed up for a while, saw 2 armed guys running towards me from across the runway but i hid behind some rubble and watched them pass really close by not seeing me, then was in the last hanger and some guy came in and shot me without even giving me chance to say anything

most people know you dont need to go there.

personally I have not been there in over a week.

sure there is lot's of loot there, just too far to run when you can get geared up closer to where you spawn.

After seeing videos of people glitching at the airfield, I am going to avoid them until it is fixed.

very true.

sad that people must use glitches and exploits to get kills.

Well, it used to be a death trap. Of course now that you have stated it is fairly safe... I fully expect it to become a deathtrap again. :)

Too sleepy to read the previous posts, but most of the looters on NWAF happened to be hoppers, they probably don't like the five minute queue. 

Also, unless it has been fixed, the tents at the northern end does not spawn loot, making it slightly less atractive.

Nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this.  I used to love the airfield because there was always someone there, friendly or not.  I guess I'll have to go to Balota now, but every time I go there, I die.

Make sense... What happens is news gets out that it is a dangerous place to go.  People looking for danger/deathmatch go to the closer locations of Electro etc.

Add also the fact that there are a lot more military bases... NE used to be touted as the one to go to since everyone went to NW...  Guess what now everyone goes to NE AF.  (helps spawns are now closer).

Basically rumor and common knowledge always "lag" behind reality.  People avoid NW AF because everyone says it is dangerous (I have never been there yet), and now no one goes there.

NE is known as being the Quiet AF, yet every-time I go there I run into people... 

It is just like American Cars... lots of people say they suck and break down... all from past common knowledge.  Yet in the last 5 years or so many American cars reliability rating are as good or better then commonly known reliable foreign companies.

The lack of people in NWAF is likely something to do with the serious nerfing that occurred on military loot spawning recently, especially in the tents. If there's not likely to be much loot there then the trip isn't worth it. The only people you're likely to see there now are server hoppers and people with no imagination who, for whatever reason, decide that the way they're going to play the game is to sit there sniping at people (or nothing for two hours). That's up to them, of course, but I'd rather shove broken pencils up my arse than play a sandbox game in that manner.

^thread title.

When the mod was still "new", and months after, the NW airfield used to be just about the most dangerous place on the map. Every time you went there, wether the server was full or low pop, you were almost guaranteed to end up in a firefight. Near the end of the mods life cycle this changed, and almost no one went to the airfield anymore. I allways assumed this had to do with hackers, loot duping and the fact that you could have a few characters worth of gear stored in tents making going to the airfield not worth it anymore.

I fully expected the NW airfield to become a hotspot again in the standalone, but it just isn't. Despite spending alot of time at the airfield, I have not met anyone there yet in the standalone (and i've been playing since it was released). Doesn't matter wether the server is full, or almost empty. There just isn't anyone there. When I arrive all the doors are closed, all the loot intact.

Why is this? Do the Ballota and NE airfields yield so much loot it isn't worth the hassle anymore to trek across the map? Do people just not care about military loot anymore and simply want to fight eachother at the coast?

In fact, I have never met anyone outside of the coast and the NE airfield. Do people just not care enough to move in land at all in general?

Little did he know the real reason he saw no one near Vybor that day. Legends speak of a hero. A hero ever watchful. Ever vigilant. Scanning the countryside with his eagle eye, waiting. If your intentions are pure, he'll let you pass unscathed. You won't even realize you're being watched beyond a brief chill traveling up your spine, but fret not adventurer, for you're safe. He only leaves his mystical perch to bury the bodies of his victims. The server hoppers. Snipers who snipe not for the forces of good, but for the forces of evil. Bandits. Their corpses litter the underground graveyard that is north-western airfield.

Fret not, little one, for you're safe. Fret not.

tumblr_li0ql0mMXr1qhi8vso1_500.jpg

• Like 1

People forgetting the Random Element. I have been playing day z for about a year (mod) and Every experience above is possible at any time. Also because the NWAF can be really dangerous sometimes nobody goes there and you have a free go. But I guarantee if you keep going there eventually you will see someone. 

Edited by Putts_UK

Am I the only one who joins a server with 2 people and always gets in a firefight? I have killed on self defense more times on low population servers than when I join a friend of mine that likes to snipe at Balota from a tall building, on highly populated servers, and I play guardian dog. My last encounter was at the NW airfield. Lucky for us we both sucked at shooting while moving so we missed and I was able to force a stalemate that ended with the other guy hearing to reason and walking away.

no u arent

died yesterday and the day before yesterday at the shipwreck north of berezino to some tree campers on a near empty server (3 people)!

I have seen plenty of people at the NWAF, but I have seen a lot more people in other places. This might be partially due to how far away it is, people are lazy and don't want to chance running all the way up there and find nothing or get shot. I usually run between Bolata and the NWAF and maybe over to the NEAF every time I get on. I run into the most people at Bolata and see less and less the more north I go.

Sat in a tree sniping for close to 2 hours on a 40/40 person sever, unlooted, and never saw a soul. Zombies never moved. 

today was a good day.

• Like 1

You know, the only time I was reckless and didn't try to lurk around in the bushes with my rifle out, I got ambushed & killed. I just sprinted unarmed between the little jail building and the northern tents and some dude shot me. But I'd still say western Cherno & Balota is the most dangerous area in the SA.