merlointhesky

firing the wrong ammo

I was zapping through youtube when I found this video:

I've not seen anything like this discussed on other topics, so:

PREMISE: this might be something to look at once in the game there will be more type of weapons and more type of ammo.

IDEA: allow players to chamber certain bullets in the "wrong" weapons.

WHY?

Because I believe that with some bad luck, one might find a certain weapon but not the ammo associated with it. 

If I was desperate to survive, I would be tempted to shoot the wrong bullet just to be able to survive a fire fight.

From a gameplay point of view, it would make it slightly easier to fire a shot, but this system should have the same drawbacks described in the video: lesser power (damage done) and having to load each bullet manually since it won't load a second bullet. Firing a more powerful round will instead still be underpowered but give a chance to ruin the gun, lowering the status (i.e. pristine > worn) or even backfire exploding in the user face (helmets and masks might provide some protection?).

It might be a bit complicated to check all the ammo and what they do, but could be an interesting thing that I'm not aware any other game allows to do.

• Like 1

For now, it won't work.

The only bullets that have the same diameter are the 7.62mm for the SKS and the Mosin/Blazer.

The x51 won't fit the chamber of the SKS and the x39 is to short to get fired in a Mosin, I guess.

But I am no weapon expert, maybe someone else can verify this.

Anyways, I don't think this adds something useful or entertaining to the game and would be pretty useless most of the time.

My opinion. :)

IRL If you champer the wrong ammunition in the wrong gun you would also have a fair chance of the slider piercing your brain in.

If we were able to chamber whatever we wanted we could just have one ammo type -> not realistic

For now, it won't work.

No shit. But I guess you missed this bit...

PREMISE: this might be something to look at once in the game there will be more type of weapons and more type of ammo

The whole point of the suggestions section is to make suggestions for things that aren't in game. More weapons are on the way and the ammo to suit them will also be available, so it stands to reason that there will eventually be similar ammo types that could fit into weapons not originally intended for them.

IRL If you champer the wrong ammunition in the wrong gun you would also have a fair chance of the slider piercing your brain in.

Yup. This could be a possibility. Firing the wrong ammo could result in your weapon exploding/being ruined and you dying. I see no issue with this and it would be one of the inherent risks of chambering the wrong ammo type. You'd have to weigh up the risk/reward of doing so.

If we were able to chamber whatever we wanted we could just have one ammo type -> not realistic

Errm, no. This would only work with very similar ammo types and shapes. Obviously a 7.62mm rifle round isn't going to fit into a pistol/revolver.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Monkfish

not saying people shouldn't have their opinion, but the point of this is that you give, at least, a glimpse at the guy in the video shooting the wrong type of ammo in those guns and what he explains about it, i.e. bullets having the same "shape". 

I can understand the extreme survival point-of-view, and the idea that "if it might work, I'll do it to survive" type of scenario.  I don't think it's feasible in-game, or truly feasible IRL either.  There are too many complicated risks for either case.

The little things about your cited video are where the proverbial "gotcha" exists.  Each time you fire an improper cartridge, you are risking serious damage to the weapon and the shooter.  It's not as simple as saying you should be able to fire similarly sized ammunition because you can get away with it occasionally.  Just to have a chance to maybe fire one extra round in a firefight you would need a system in-game to cause a weapon malfunction, then a chance based weapon damage, then a chance based player damage.  That's an awful lot to happen from a single mouse1 click, no?

I know I'm just a dried up dirt bag, and I care entirely too much about weapons and survival and keeping things close to IRL circumstances (when it's feasible) and, yes, you technically can get away with firing improper caliber ammunition in certain cases--I just don't think it's worth it for the game.  I would much rather see more focus going along the lines of getting all weapons and ammunition properly labeled, chambered, and used.  

Just $.02 from an audacious gas bag.

Cheers,

Jimmy

@monkfish:

I'm aware of the fact, that the suggestions section is here to bring suggestions for a time, when the game is in a near feature-complete state.

But even this in mind, I don't think this will be useful and only make the game more complicated, with no real purpose to it.

But as I said, this is my opinion, other people (most importantly the devs) may look at this in another way.

So I encourage everybody to make suggestions and don't want in any way rain on merlointhesky's parade. Just want to discuss the topic, no hate. :)

@merlointhesky:

I saw the video a few days ago, if it is this "demolition farm" video.

I see what you want and I told you what I think of it. No offense and you don't have to give a shit about it, if you don't want to hear another opinion. :)

i'm not being sore or anything :) was just typing quick and didn't add any smiles eheh

As I said in the OP it's not something anyone would use normally, but IF you find yourself in a life threatening situation and the only option is to risk to damage your weapon to fire a round, since it's possible IRL, I don't see why not. My point on this is that it would add a possibility that other games don't offer.

I don't think it requires utterly complicated mechanics, other than having extra info about combination of weapon+ammo = what power and what chance of ruining the weapon.

The real addition would be if (not realistic example) you try to shoot a more powerful bullet, introducing the chance the weapon explodes in your hands/face.

I believe we are going to get a nice and long list of weapons and relative ammo, this would reduce slightly the possible frustration of not being able to shoot because you can never find the right ammo spawn.

You do know why they designed the barrels to fit the bullets that are supposed to be fired or vice versa? It's not just about the caliber it's also about the chamber If you are lucky you just have a jam, less lucky...your hand is gone...even less lucky your face is gone. The barrels are also the cause that the bullets reach their speed > "pressure build-up", so if you were to fire a "subcaliber" ( and i don't mean sabot with subcaliber )  bullet in a gun that fires bigger bullets you would hear a pop and the bullet would just drop out of the barrel if you can actually manage to chamber it. :rolleyes: And you can't just put a heavier projectile in a casing and say it does more damage to the target...yes it damages your chamber, barrel and gun due to higher pressures. People with PSLs trying to fire bullets designed for the SVD can destroy their guns because the PSL wasn't made for the more powerful ammo although it's the basically same.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

There are only a few rounds that can actually be chambered and fired in a gun designed to fire a different round.

In each case, doing so poses a great danger to the gun and the firer.

• Like 1

I think my post included the possible drawbacks, this is not just a win-win where you use any ammo in any weapon :)

But I'm no weapon expert, and it's interesting to read what you guys know about it.

My idea comes from that video, and the fact that if it was me, and I had to die, I'd rather gamble for my life for the last time at least :P But despite lacking knoweledge on weapons, I'm well aware that bullets are designed for their specific caliber. I also like that in the video clearly shows the effects on how the pressure deforms the bullet.

I think my post included the possible drawbacks, this is not just a win-win where you use any ammo in any weapon :)

But I'm no weapon expert, and it's interesting to read what you guys know about it.

My idea comes from that video, and the fact that if it was me, and I had to die, I'd rather gamble for my life for the last time at least :P But despite lacking knoweledge on weapons, I'm well aware that bullets are designed for their specific caliber. I also like that in the video clearly shows the effects on how the pressure deforms the bullet.

I see the point of your idea.  Not tryin to piss down your back and tell you it's raining.  Just wanted to offer a counter-opinion for discussions sake.  If it was a feature in the game, it would be one that frustrates me, but that's my cross to bear.

Cheers,

Jimmy

There are several guns that gun chamber similar rounds.

Probably the most effective is 7.62x25 (Tokarev) and 7.63x25 (Mauser C96). The Tokarev round is based off the Mauser. Both are interchangeable with each other in their respective firearms. 

The Nagant M1895 can chamber .32 ammunition, but poorly.

9mm Parabellum guns could probably be single-loaded with 9mm Makarov, but the Makarov ammo was made purposely to be in-compatible with Western ammo. A standard makarov PM would probably explode when loaded with more powerful Parabellum ammo anyway.

I bet 5.45x39 can be chambered in 7.62x39 guns, but accuracy would be redundant.