So i have been killed 3 times in a row during situations i do not think i would normally get shot. With no weapon, I say i am friendly on direct chat and then i get shot.

No one is responding to me in direct chat. I think maybe this is because i updated to the most recent beta for arma 2 which requires a password all of a sudden. So maybe others are not updating. since there is no side chat, this puts people at a real disadvantage when they are friendly.

My suggestion to fix the problem, since it has to do with beta instead of dayz(maybe, i dont really know), is to enable side chat until this beta business is all taken care of.

I enjoy the disabled side chat, and ive enjoyed the times on direct chat when it works, but the beta keeps getting updated and there is no guarantee that the people on your server are using the same beta, so when direct chat doesnt work and side chat is unavailable-it discourages co-op play.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

Get a microphone, then you don't have to sit and type that you are friendly but rather just ask the guy. Side chat does more harm than good, it ruins immersion plus if you try to organise something on side chat, the bandits can also read and will meet you there to kill you and take your beans. It's gone, and for good reason.

Side-chat did no harm if you ask me.

I mean, it didn't even ruin immersion, it was like an open radio.

i do have a microphone, and it worked back when i had beta93825...

I think the problem is that direct chat only works when people have the same beta and arma decided out of the blue to password protect their beta downloads, so my guess is a lot of people arent downloading it.

Like i said in the original post, i enjoy not having side chat, but only when direct chat is working, and since the arma2 beta is separate thatn the dayz mod, its messing this aspect up for me.

I guess what im hoping to get out of this thread is for that password protection to be taken off the arma 2 beta... seriously...are they worried that people who havent bought arma 2 are trying to download it for illegal purposes?

I think the problem is that direct chat only works when people have the same beta and arma decided out of the blue to password protect their beta downloads' date=' so my guess is a lot of people arent downloading it.

[/quote']

I don't think this is true. Me and my friend have different beta versions and we use the in-game voice comms just fine.

lol. ok so it was just bad luck then on my part?

you're just running into assholes that either don't know how to use the chat, any kind, or don't care whether you're friendly or not

99% of the time I use a mic and say friendly or whatever and I still get shot with only my dang flashlight. I don't think some people care and others don't speak english.

Play on servers then that you know people will speak english, like UK if you are in Europe.

OP, you are either very unlucky with meeting people or there is something wrong on your end. The beta patches shouldn't screw up Direct coms since it was fixed quite a while ago and nothing has changed about it apart from that fix.

It doesn't matter what you say or how you say it - no one will ever say they aren't friendly. They are not obligated to believe you are friendly, nor are they obligated to be friendly to you. PK'ing happened when we had side chat, and still happens - It's not the solution, and I don't think there is one, or that there needs to be one. I think the problem is with people like you, who take death too seriously. Arma has a lovely campaign if you can't take multiplayer.

point taken. i appreciate your feedback everyone. I'll keep trying until i find some other friendlies out there

They should maybe make a new item in the game that makes it for the users so they can use a global chat or alter the frequensies so they could think they were private :) This could allow for some serious fun for the raiders. They could sit and listen for private channels and listen in on them too :D Dayz could make a radiolike item :)

Sidechat is useless as 80% of DayZ players are moronic senseless murderous batserds.

It doesn't matter what you say or how you say it - no one will ever say they aren't friendly. They are not obligated to believe you are friendly' date=' nor are they obligated to be friendly to you. PK'ing happened when we had side chat, and still happens - It's not the solution, and I don't think there is one, or that there needs to be one. I think the problem is with people like you, who take death too seriously. Arma has a lovely campaign if you can't take multiplayer.

[/quote']

whats the point of perma death if not to take it seriously?

I got the same issue.

Playing with a friend we tried to chat and talk over direct comm while standing next to each other.

Nothing workes so we had to reside to steam chat / teamspeak.

This is a problem as I had to kill 2 Surviviors that day because they didnt respond to my "friendly?" questions as they couldn't read or hear me.

Im also pretty positive that they simply could not read or hear me because these guys were totally suprised by my presence and showed no sign of being aware that there is another person in the surroundings

direct chat (text) should have two modes; say 20m, yell 50m

as well as common phrases as options in the comms menu.

edit:

It doesn't matter what you say or how you say it - no one will ever say they aren't friendly. They are not obligated to believe you are friendly' date=' nor are they obligated to be friendly to you. PK'ing happened when we had side chat, and still happens - It's not the solution, and I don't think there is one, or that there needs to be one. I think the problem is with people like you, who take death too seriously. Arma has a lovely campaign if you can't take multiplayer.

[/quote']

wait here one second what is wrong with taking death in a sim seriously?

IMO saying you are friendly in direct chat over the mic or chat doesn't make the slightest bit of difference i have done it on a few occasions and have still been killed and that's after giving a blood transfusion to one guy who claimed he was friendly he kept passing out i helped him only for him to kill me. You cant trust what anyone says so best to use your own judgement or just stay with friends you actually know or on your own. I just stay clear if i can

IMO saying you are friendly in direct chat over the mic or chat doesn't make the slightest bit of difference i have done it on a few occasions and have still been killed and that's after giving a blood transfusion to one guy who claimed he was friendly he kept passing out i helped him only for him to kill me. You cant trust what anyone says so best to use your own judgement or just stay with friends you actually know or on your own. I just stay clear if i can

I think the problem is that dayz is missing a lot of the little sudtleties. If you watch the bar scene from the walking dead, there are a lot of little of things that scream this guy is not a good guy, which is what dayz is lacking.

I think the problem is that dayz is missing a lot of the little sudtleties. If you watch the bar scene from the walking dead' date=' there are a lot of little of things that scream this guy is not a good guy, which is what dayz is lacking.

[/quote']

The problem with coming up with an idea like that is that we'd have to rely on an artificial, faulty system to apply those subtleties.

I think the problem is that dayz is missing a lot of the little sudtleties. If you watch the bar scene from the walking dead' date=' there are a lot of little of things that scream this guy is not a good guy, which is what dayz is lacking.

[/quote']

The problem with coming up with an idea like that is that we'd have to rely on an artificial, faulty system to apply those subtleties.

so its better to have a faulty biased system?

why not bring back some kind of humanity or a visible change with that.

I dont say you have to replace the whole skin like it ws before.

But maybe something more subtle like bloody clothes/hands (zombies dont have the fresh red blood) or something were you can tell the other persons humanity but only if your are close to him

You're the one asking for the faulty system. There aren't faults in the system as is. All of the reactions are completely on the actions of the players, not the actions forced by the computer. They have no outside influences based on appearance or action that causes anyone to shoot at that player on a character-by-character basis that a player doesn't choose.

If a bandit wants to act genuinely kind and then stab you in the back after they have your hand in pact, they can do that entirely with how they speak and how they act. Any wavering is based on a survivor's opinion on their actions, not their outside appearances that were place on them by the system, simply because that's how the game thinks they'd act.

In essence, the system is forcing you into a role. Which would pretty much kill the immersion for me. (Not simply because you're changing a skin, but because the game thinks you would instantly want to look like that, thus negating any use of subterfuge to out-trick the other survivors; this kills what I feel is a very important part of the social game in DayZ.)

You're the one asking for the faulty system. There aren't faults in the system as is. All of the reactions are completely on the actions of the players' date=' not the actions forced by the computer. They have no outside influences based on appearance or action that causes anyone to shoot at that player on a character-by-character basis that a player doesn't choose.

If a bandit wants to act genuinely kind and then stab you in the back after they have your hand in pact, they can do that entirely with how they speak and how they act. Any wavering is based on a survivor's opinion on their actions, not their outside appearances that were place on them by the system, simply because that's how the game thinks they'd act.

In essence, the system is forcing you into a role. Which would pretty much kill the immersion for me. (Not simply because you're changing a skin, but because the game thinks you would instantly want to look like that, thus negating any use of subterfuge to out-trick the other survivors; this kills what I feel is a very important part of the social game in DayZ.)

[/quote']

However the system is flawed cause it is more easily gamed than that of watching how someone talks, their tone of voice, how they move, etc.

The subtleties are what give our words meaning or truth, without them words are meaningless.

I would just be quiet happy if people just didn't communicate with me and just kill me, rather then declare they are friendly beg for my help then shoot me in the back once the help has been given. I am not going to whine but id rather make friends then become a PVP player. Unfortunately you are always going to get players though that say im friendly get what they want and shoot you it wont stop