Sign in to follow this  
Etherimp

An interesting fact regarding sounds..

Just some results from testing...

I have heard from friends things like, "Wow, I didn't even hear that shot.", and, "I heard the bullet hit the wall but didn't hear the gunshot!"

So a buddy and I tested a few things this morning.

This was done at 500 meters, firing from the Northern Hill of Elektro, to the Powerplant Fire Station.

My friend stood inside of the firestation, and I fired 5 shots at the fire station tower.

1st shot, friend was standing facing North (my direction). He heard the bullet hit the fire station, then heard the shot.

2nd shot, he was facing East. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

3rd shot, he was facing South. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

4th shot, he was facing West. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

5th shot, he was facing North again. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, then heard the shot.

Conclusion: When firing a Mosin from 500 meters, the person being shot at will only hear the shot if the following are true:

1. They are facing the direction the shot was coming from.

2. The first shot does not kill them, as apparently the bullet registers as hitting before the sound of the Mosin firing is heard. (Needs more testing)

More testing should be done on ranges, weapon/round types, and also the death before hearing the shot.

• Like 22

I have heard from friends things like, "Wow, I didn't even hear that shot.", and, "I heard the bullet hit the wall but didn't hear the gunshot!"

This was done at 500 meters, firing from the Northern Hill of Elektro, to the Powerplant Fire Station.

My friend stood inside of the firestation, and I fired 5 shots at the fire station tower.

1st shot, friend was standing facing North (my direction). He heard the bullet hit the fire station, then heard the shot.

2nd shot, he was facing East. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

3rd shot, he was facing South. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

4th shot, he was facing West. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, but heard no shot.

5th shot, he was facing North again. He heard the bullet hit the fire station, then heard the shot.

Conclusion: When firing a Mosin from 500 meters, the person being shot at will only hear the shot if the following are true:

2. The first shot does not kill them, as apparently the bullet registers as hitting before the sound of the Mosin firing is heard. (Needs more testing)

More testing should be done on ranges, weapon/round types, and also the death before hearing the shot.

This makes a bit of sense and I think it's worth keeping logged somewhere on a tips thread.

Well the mosin fires a superonic round which means that it will hit before the sound happens irl.

• Like 1

Interesting test you did there. Have my Beans! . Weird that you don't hear the shot when not facing toward it. If that is generally true to any clients that should be fixed. Targets not hearing the direction of incoming shots (misses) just because they're not facing toward the shooter could be heavily exploited.

Just wondering: Have you tried it vice versa ..by the means of switching shot-receiving client?

Interesting.. would love to see some more testing at different rangers.  

But I suppose its all temporary as Dean has said a lot of work will be done on sounds.  Having accurate bullet sounds is very important imo, so i hope it sees a lot of love in the dev process.

Edited by MadTommy

As a note. The sound engineer hasnt started working on the various problems with the systems yet. But thank you for your research it is usefull!

Per chance what number of sounds are you allowing in the game settings? What are your windows settings for sound(surround or headset or stereo)?

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

System Audio specs ?

EDIT : Sorry basically a repeat of what the guy above me said :)

Edited by BL1P
  • Like 1

Intresting test truly, you can have my beans. Keep doing good work. And its true what Trigger Hippy said from speed bullets, like M4 bullet is over twice faster than sound. Btw does character punches go faster than sound IDK but it sounds like Bruce Lee when hitting air.

good to know, also noticed some of these.

System Audio specs ?

EDIT : Sorry basically a repeat of what the guy above me said :)

I don't know. I would have to ask my friend who was on the receiving end of the shots. However, I don't think his audio settings/specs would play much of a part in it, as I have experienced similar results with various different people. 

IE - One time I was shooting towards Balota from the Northern Hill there, and a friend down in the base did not hear my shots AT ALL. (The  bullets weren't landing anywhere near him.) Then, when he faced my direction, he heard the shots faintly.

I would be surprised if system specs played any role here. 

Bullets usually travel faster than sound, so a headshot will kill you and you'll never hear the gunfire.

Yes. Duly noted. I am not saying the games representation is inaccurate, only posting the results of testing. Other games do not have as accurate representation of bullet mechanics, so even though DayZ is doing something accurately, doesn't mean it's intuitive to the casual player. It would explain why some people say stuff like, "One second I was just standing there, then I was dead! I didn't even hear a shot!"

I would be surprised if system specs played any role here. 

They would play a large part, there is a signifigant difference between how computers handle stereo, 5.1, and headphone sound :)

They would play a large part, there is a signifigant difference between how computers handle stereo, 5.1, and headphone sound :)

-*most* people use headphones to play DayZ.

-IF the directional sound is not working properly, then the sound may not register for anyone who is facing away from the source.

-*most* people use headphones to play DayZ.

-IF the directional sound is not working properly, then the sound may not register for anyone who is facing away from the source.

Correct, but the way the computer sends signals to headphones is independent of whether or not you are using headphones. faux surround sound, stereo, or even 'headphones' setting will effect how the sound is sent to your headphone jack. If you are improperly configured you will miss types of directional sounds because your computer or program will send them to speakers that do not exist.

For example, in your example you can hear a gunshot if its in front of you. The audio may be being sent to the center channel of a 5.1, but not the left, right, or rear L/R channel. However if you are in Stereo mode, the center audio is distributed accordingly to simulate 3D space.

you also have to make sure you turn the sounds up to 128 in the audio options in game so it plays all the sounds it should and at long distances. 

We've noticed this problem too. For some reason most of the times it's me who hears the shot, and my mates are like "nope didn't hear anything"

I for myself figured since I have a 7.1 headset and they've just got filthy stereo ones that it might be that. Did anybody with a similar situation notice this too?

The engine (Arma2) has pretty sophisticated way of handling sounds as it is, and it even takes terrain into account, for example mosin shot fired from the top of the hill carries a lot futher than mosin shot fired on the base of the hill etc.

However as i see the sound being a MAJOR part of enjoyable gameplay i'd LOVE them to set the bar somewhere near the JSRS for Arma2. (Pretty much complete audio mechanics/sounds overahul for Arma2) check some youtube vids to be amazed. Imho it's the very best sound implementation in any video game i've ever seen to date. (Very different gun sounds from front/behind of the barrell, or in first person aiming down your weapon when you clearly hear the mechanical parts in your weapon beside the muzzle report, actually different sound samples being played from various distances/environments etc.) THAT should be something to go for. If you own a copy or arma2, check out the mod and see just how big of an impact it makes.

It really makes the game sound like a news report from an actual warzone instead of a video game. Love it.

Edited by Intactus
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, this only applies at 500m+? For example, if someone fires a mosin near me but I'm not facing them, I will hear the Mosin, correct? 

Just to clarify, this only applies at 500m+? For example, if someone fires a mosin near me but I'm not facing them, I will hear the Mosin, correct? 

Haven't tested it yet. That's why I make it a point to say "needs further testing" at the bottom of my post. I will probably test more on the issue later this week, when I have some time and get in touch with my friend who likes to test stuff with me. 

No,

for example i was at the Firestation in Elektro, in the House on the other side of the street. I´ve looked at the top of the firestation and could clearly see a guy firing with his Mosin but i only heard like two out of five shots. So for now i can say that the problem is not only at large distances nor can i confirm the theory of relative viewing direction to the sound event. Very often i can hear shots from the sides or behind me. But at this point i have to say that the perception of distance and precise direction is not very good most of the time. From other games i know that this can work much better and reliable.

My sound setting is 5.1 or 7.1 over stereo headphones. The sound card is calculating the HRTF out of the 5/7 channels to get 3D sound over just stereo heaphones as you may know. I have a Creative Titanium HD soundcard (using CMSS3D) and a Asus Xonar STX (Dolby Headphone). The result in terms of the mentioned things is the same.

Edited by lauda

Interesting testing. However i do think you can hear shots while not facing shooter. Yesterday i ran trough open field near balotta airport. After coming from airport which was empty. Some tried to snipe me and i heard hes 5-6 shots.  Im not sure where the sniper was but i know he wasnt in front me. I believe he was in the tree line on left flank. However im sure he was shooting me as there wasnt anyone around could be seen. And you know these balotta airport sniper campers...

Edited by MangoX

I'd like to add something to this.

Yesterday I watched a player at 80 (eighty) meters fire at a zombie behind him. I did not hear the shot(s)!

In this case, I was facing the same direction he was looking at, so he was shooting away from me.

So not only do you have to be facing the shooter, but apparently the shooter has to be facing you at close range, too.