Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

The Current Combat Log System Dosen't Work

OK the basic idea was to stop people avoiding combat situations, and make them finish the battle right?

Well this system effectivly does the same as an old combat log, it ends the combat. Sure the logger will probably pay with his life, but the battle was still over as soon as he hit log out, its still killing combat. Now having a timer that can be interrupted achieves keeping combat much better, as long as it has a pretty harsh penalty for interrupting it. 

That way the attacking player still has an adrenaline rush, knowing that the other guy can react. I would expect most would break it if they thought the other guy was in the building or whatever, and leave themselfs time to play through the cancel animation. And there ya go, the logger stayed in the game, but wasn't just a puchbag.  The firefight happened.

I understand at this point they carnt achieve that for whatever reason. But  think it should be a long term goal because this system sucks when you get to the guy who shot at you, and hes just a lifeless NPC

I really hope in the future it changes :)

....let the flaming commence lol

EDIT - Adding to and bumping this because I really think its still relevant. Have had 2 more run ins with loggers since and the empty feeling when staughtering an NPC is still there. We neeeeeed a system that keeps the guy at the keyboard connected to his avatar until the combat ends, not just force a choice as to wether to gamble or not.

I really think resolving whatever issues they had with a live timer should be a top priority. Ok it had problems in testing, but they were under preassure from the community to just get SOMETHING in place, maybe because people didn't understand alpha... or whatever.

Made a flow chart....yes I resorted to pictures. To show the benefits of alive system over a blind one. How it can preserve interaction/combat better. Also no one can argue that it would be more immersive to try and talk a guy out of logging, or physicly stop him than being confronted with an empty NPC.

Current System

1Q2s51H.png

Live System

y7cd3Dv.png

Dem paint skills huh :P

Edited by Karmaterror

I don't know what you're suggesting.

He wants cancellable and exploitable log out timer.

• Like 11

It works, but not in the way you think it should. The point of it isn't to make combat last longer, but rather stop people from avoiding death so they don't loose their gear to others.

Sounds to me like someone likes to log yet (terribly) trying to cover it up with a stupid post like this. Inb4 graveyard.

• Like 2

He wants cancellable and exploitable log out timer.

Oh, does he mean a timer which only starts counting down if there are other players in your vicinity?

I dont want anything exploitable, just a fair cancelable system that will maintain combat. Unless people are enjoying mauling NPC's :)

EDIT - this one punishes loggers, but dosent maintain combat or tension.

Edited by Karmaterror

I dont want anything exploitable, just a fair cancelable system that will maintain combat. Unless people are enjoying mauling NPC's :)

So your logic in this post is to basically put an end to a system that already maintains combat to go back to a system that instantly ends combat? O_o

So your logic in this post is to basically put an end to a system that already maintains combat to go back to a system that instantly ends combat? O_o

How so?

As i see it a canellable system means if i make it to the bandit he has an option to shoot back

Now if he gambles and i make it its over anyway, no chance at all for combat

the current system is fair, as staying in combat gives people a higher chance of survival than logging out - so we have an incentive for desired behaviour.

a cancellable timer has been tested internally and found to be too exploitable.

• Like 2

How so?

As i see it a canellable system means if i make it to the bandit he has an option to shoot back

Now if he gambles and i make it its over anyway, no chance at all for combat

Exactly my point. The previous system was an instantaneous cancellation system as you call it as opposed to their body being there in the current system. If he instantly logs there is no option to shoot back and quite frankly who cares. Someone who logs to avoid combat isn't worth wasting time like that anyways.

Ahh no you misunderstand me, there should be a timer and everything. Dont want it to roll back to insta log. I mean we should serve it ingame and be able to break. Because atm it does nothing to preserve combat.

All i get is an NPC puchbag as a reward for getting to the logger in time ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Epoch where you had to wait 10 seconds before you could even hit abort, if that is what you mean.

the current system is fair, as staying in combat gives people a higher chance of survival than logging out - so we have an incentive for desired behaviour.

a cancellable timer has been tested internally and found to be too exploitable.

Yeah i know they had to do it this way for now, but i hope they try to overcome that at some point. The possabilities are endless with a cancelable one. Handcuffing someone in time could stop it....during the animation they could be vunerable to cuffs.Or damage could break it.... I want the logger to stay and pay for his attempt to flee! :)

Edited by Karmaterror

How do you fix them from Alt+f4'ing I mean I guess rocket could go house to house and cut their hands off. Rocket if you see this comment please add to next update plz thank you i give you Asian special if you do thx.  

lmfao....

Srever logs any logout attempt and counts the timer. If DC or alt F4 server finishes the count then deletes the player. But whos gonna do that when they could sit there and watch for threats ;)

EDIT  - obviously not that easy, or they woulda done it. But we already know the server can count a set time then delete the player, so maybe the problem is recording a logout attempt and canceling it....im no dev so i dont know. but we need something to preserver whatever "interaction" should have happened. Wasnt that the problem with combat loggers. 

Im glad they get punished at the moment, but the system dosent seem to do "exactly" what it was supposed to to me :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I wish they gave a view of your char!!!

So those d@#! loggers can see how they get killed without something to do about it. Only the tought of those kiddos going all angry german kid gives me a smile from ear to ear.

And to answer your question.......,No!

• Like 1

OK the basic idea was to stop people avoiding combat situations, and make them finish the battle right?

Well this system effectivly does the same as an old combat log, it ends the combat. Sure the logger will probably pay with his life, but the battle was still over as soon as he hit log out, its still killing combat. Now having a timer that can be interrupted achieves keeping combat much better, as long as it has a pretty harsh penalty for interrupting it.

Its killing combat because the combat loggers are dying for trying to do what they used to do.

Ok you make so much sense, the only ones who are dying are the people trying to combat log and this system has failed.

I'm all for the in game timer or ''wow logout system'', but this one will do for now. Maybe in the not so distant future...

It's more of a deterrent to stop players from combat logging.  I think it is working and much less players are trying to combat log.  If someone combat logs now it's either by mistake or they are just dumb.

• Like 1

EDIT - this one punishes loggers, but dosent maintain combat or tension.

Actually the current system works sure it may take a few deaths for combat loggers to go wow i log out i come back i am dead hmm maybei better fight next time it be more fun than not knowing how i died.

The system works all the cry baby threads about it remove it change it prove it works...

• Like 1

Its killing combat because the combat loggers are dying for trying to do what they used to do.

Ok you make so much sense, the only ones who are dying are the people trying to combat log and this system has failed.

Yes they are dying, and that's good. But there's no combat or interaction from the way they die. To me this system was to preserve whatever event should have happened, but it doesn't. As soon as they hit log out they are gone. Then there is no fun in killing that empty player-less NPC. 

Its not about wether they die, its about how they die. and maintaining tension during a log atempt for both sides.

I want them to have to fight, not just exit and gamble. leaving the other player with an empty experiance :)

Actually the current system works sure it may take a few deaths for combat loggers to go wow i log out i come back i am dead hmm maybei better fight next time it be more fun than not knowing how i died.

The system works all the cry baby threads about it remove it change it prove it works...

Im saying it dosent preserve combat. Not from the point of view of the logger, but from that of the hunter. Anything that leads to slaughtering an NPC isnt doing anything to help events that should have happened.

Its not for the loggers....its for the guys that dont ;)

Edited by Karmaterror

Im saying it dosent preserve combat. Not from the point of view of the logger, but from that of the hunter. Anything that leads to slaughtering an NPC isnt doing anything to help events that should have happened.

Its not for the loggers....its for the guys that dont ;)

ah so you a didnt read my post or b didnt understand it . yes for a while you will get npcs to kill but the loggers will quickly realise what i log in i am dead this willlead them eventually to not logging at all cause it has resulted in an unkown death for them .... unkown death for them equals no fun or loot they want to keep leads even the dumbest of combat logger to realise that there better of to stand and fight .

But i see i may be crediting you with to much iq and being able to figure that one out ( damn now i am being dumb cause you made this dumb thread in the first place...

• Like 1