Sign in to follow this  
crazykage

Realisitc inventory space proposal:

In my opinion, the inventory system in this game needs some work.

BY AND FAR it is better than the confusing system we had in the mod. It is far more accessible and user friendly, but it is NOT realistic.

As it is, I can take an Ammo can, fully loaded with ammunition, and some how shove it into my jeans pocket.

How, from a realistic standpoint, does this work? Do my  jeans have some method of warping space an time, dividing the ammo can into 4 separate parts and putting them each in one pocket?

I can understand the gameplay and balancing aspect of using containers like ammo cans, med pouches, and storage boxes to increase inventory space. They are limited in what can be placed inside them (or, in the case of the storage box, which can hold ANY item, by rarity), and it could be said that by using them, you are keeping your gear organized, which saves space (anyone who has ever packed a sea bag or molly pack will know just how much stuff you can put inside, IF you pack it right). So it can be said that it is a method for simulating organization in game. This is fair.

But there is no way in hell anyone can fit a 600 rnd. ammo can in their jeans. You MIGHT be able to shove it into your crotch, or something, if the jeans were really baggy, and you had a belt to hold them up, but I challenge you to try it IRL, and continue to move around easily. Squat, sit, go prone, crawl, run, etc., and at any time be able to quickly pull it back out and access it.

This goes for other items as well. Why is it that a SINGLE bullet takes up the same amount of space in my inventory, as 30? Or that 30 rounds consumes the same inventory space as a single 9v battery?

In the mod, and in arma, inventory and how much could fit inside a container was based on VOLUME. however the system was not really all that user friendly.

So I propose a combination of the two systems:

Keep the current system of inventory slots, but assign individual slots a volume value, indicating how much that slot can hold. When only PART of the total volume for a single slot is used, that slot DIVIDES itself into smaller squares, to indicate VISUALLY how much space is still available for more items, while maintaining the more user friendly system that allows us to see each item and move them around. For example:

A pair of jeans would have 4 inventory slots (or 6 for cargo pants). Since each slot represents a separate pocket, you cannot put an item into more than one pocket (IE, dividing up the total volume of an ammo can into 6 equal portions might mean you could fit them all into your cargo pants, but this is not realistic, and would therefore be impossible), and each individual pocket has a maximum amount of volume it can hold. So I might be able to shove a pistol mag into one, or can opener into another, but something as big as a ammo can or storage box would be out of the question.

But you could argue (correctly) that your typical front left jeans pocket could hold MORE than a single pistol magazine; you might also be able to cram in a few loose rounds, or even another mag. So, when the magazine is placed into the inventory slot, but does not use up the full volume of the single slot, the slot will divide itself into more squares, showing that some of them are occupied by the mag, but there is still space left over. additionally, to avoid confusion, when an item capable of storage has INDIVIDUAL pockets (like a pair of pants, or even external pockets on a backpack, if we REALLY want to get in-depth), these pockets are indicated in game by a simple gap between the inventory slots (a pair of jeans has 4 SEPERATE slots, each of which divides itself into smaller JOINED boxes if an item is added, but doesn't take up the entire volume of the slot). Additionally, a larger pocket, such as the cargo pockets on a pair of cargo pants, would also have more inventory squares (all joined, to show that they are all part of the same compartment).

And this principle could be further applied to any other storage items (clothes, packs, containers). A storage box, for example, could continue to have 6 inventory slots, but the total volume of all 6 slots is still less than would be needed to put an ammo can inside.

Although this system might be complicated to code into the game, and I certainly wouldn't expect to see it any time soon, I think it would be far more realistic than the current system, while retaining the same user friendly style of the current system.

Not the greatest quality video, nor am I the greatest public speaker out there, but here is the video I mentioned:

http://youtu.be/q-3VS1Tc5lU

Thoughts?

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 9

I just thought of this as well:

Stretch.

Say for example, I want to put a can of beans into my jeans pocket. The bean can has slightly greater volume than the single pocket, but not excessively so. IRL, I might be able to cram that sucker in there, but then have no way of getting anything else in with it.

So in game, a little bit of leeway is granted. If a single inventory slot can hold say, a pistol magazine, and still have half its volume empty, and I want to put a radio in there as well, if the radio does not exceed the total volume by an excessive amount, the pocket (inventory slot) is "stretched" to allow it to fit, however the pocket can no longer have any other items added to it, where without the radio, I might have been able to add 2 other, smaller items.

This way, the system doesn't become too unforgiving...

I agree that the current system can sometimes be unrealistic, but the whole keeping track of item volumes and splitting squares up etc. could be a little complicated to implement. Im not saying impossible, as I really don't know, but it sounds like it could take some work, for what I honestly believe isn't much of a problem.

The inventory system is just so much better than the mod, I have a hard time looking at it and going "it still needs some work". After 150 hours of playing, I still look at it and go " This is AMAZING!". But that's me.

Its definitely better and more realistic.

But i think its a bit more unrealistic to design and implement, when they add building meterial and stuff, i will be a bit annoyed if all of my pockets were out of the question and i had to use only my backpack, it would mean i would have to leave lots of stuff behind.

I like the concept behind this idea, however it may be difficult to implement and also might not be so user friendly.

I really like OP's idea, dynamic graphical slot and volume based system. Maybe by default divide the grid up into 100 cm3 chunks or something, then separate pockets in a sub-grouping along those slots (ex: jeans, front outside pockets are 5 new style slots (for reference, a soda can would be 3.55 (355 cm3) slots) grouped together, back pockets 2 slots each, front inside pockets only half of a slot or so each). Like the entire object is collapsable, individual pockets are collapsable. If you made the relevant things collapse on gear exit you do a good job of simulating the time it takes to dig around in your pockets as the player opens the gear menu and accesses items. (for example, the jean object wouldn't automatically collapse - the pockets are easy to access, so they don't either, but in a backpack the whole thing would collapse automatically on exit because you can't easily access it). Pocket stretching is great too - it'd be nice if you could go even further over limit but risk increasing the wear rate on your clothing at the same time.

The medkit would have purposefully sized pockets made precisely to fit what is in them - you might be able to shove a couple of pens or a couple of 5.56 bullets or maybe even 4 9mm bullets into the syringe's pocket, but that isn't a lot. Of course an epipen/morphine shot will fit that slot too... The watertight all purpose container has a variety of pockets in it, but its main use is to protect things that can't or shouldn't get wet. The ammo can is, well, an ammo can, a precise volume for some chain linked rounds but you can throw whatever in there - of course, the chain linked rounds are unwieldy and difficult to find a space for anywhere else.

As for construction/vehicle materials, those are far too large to carry in any regular pocket - being able to lift and carry them should definitely be possible. Encouraging teamwork (2 transporters, 2 guards for safety or 4 all transporting for speed?) simultaneously discourages KoS ("hey man wanna help me move this shit to build a structure?" or "hey, you're our slave now, carry this shit or die.") and makes it hard to be alone but still possible (a hermit sneaks into a construction site and steals planks, he keeps up with this for a while and is able to build a nice small shack for himself). But what you really want for construction is a vehicle - carry your shit to the truck, throw it in and drive it to your construction site.

• Like 2

They should just add tracksuits. Dress like a shop-lifter and you should be able to cram a feast into your pockets.

They should just add tracksuits. Dress like a shop-lifter and you should be able to cram a feast into your pockets.

I mean, we are in Russia. Tracksuits should have been the most common article of clothing in the game already.
  • Like 3

Unlike Gews, I don't have the technical knowledge to read script values, and produce fancy pants visuals that eloquently explain my concept (his threads about ballistics were awesomeness). Im also lazy.

The problem with my proposal, I think, is that without visualizing what I mean, it can sound like a realistic system, but complicated to both implement (on the coding level) and use (in game).

I agree that the CURRENT system is by and far better than the mod. Ill take its user friendliness over realism any day. But I believe it can be BOTH user friendly, AND realistic, if done right. I do, however, also agree that implementation may be difficult, but then I don't expect the devs would be able to implement it any time soon, IF at all. Its alpha.

SO, because I am lazy, but still want to visualize this (as we say in the Marines, "break it down barney style"), I have just finished making a video, which I will post on tube, and link here for your viewing pleasure. I apologize ahead of time if it sucks for any reason. I also don't know how long it will take, so bear with me.

Imo volume etc is just too complex and not really worth the effort.

That said I could see certain items having multiple storage areas equating to "pockets". E.g. pants can hold 4 1x1 items. Cargo pants could hold 2 1x1 and 1 2x1 item.

Though that is as far as I can see it going if that even.

roughly 1 and a half hours before the vid is done uploading. I watched it before I uploaded it to make sure it was good enough (lighting, audio, make sure I didn't accidently flash the interwebs with my asscrack, etc), and I really feel that it perfectly explains everything.

Ill let yall know when its done.

There have been several recent posts suggesting some solutions to this issue...

And they're not super complicated methods or drastic changes to the existing systems in place. Just refining them a bit.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170056-more-realistic-inventory-management/?hl=inventory

and

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164736-inventory-space-same-capacity-but-4x-number-of-squares/?hl=inventory

Edited by DaedalRogue

Perhaps it's because instead of cramming that box into your pockets, you somehow fastened it to your belt line. It's heavy, so even though there is still room in your pockets, you dare not pack them at the risk of losing your pants. Not trying to be a smart ass here, just an attempt to show how things can be potentially explained using a little imagination. 

What I don't get, is why a standard flashlight takes up 1 slot, but a screw driver that is even smaller takes up 2 vertical slots.

Being able to 'realistically' pack my goodies is not one that overly appeals to me.  The system we have now is fine.  Carcinovich's idea is pretty cool though.

• Like 1

What about something like this?

ovbFdp0.png

Having this method would be a huge improvement. Though that doesn't discount I'd like to able to set certain locations to be for only a specific kind of item. Like pockets will only carry cans of soda.

Video is up. Finally.

I know, im fat. no need to tell me. Just focus on the POINT of my video, and less on my beer gut.

What about something like this?

ovbFdp0.png

Bump, forgot about this thread I made for a while.

In response to the above:

I like the way you are thinking, but this doesn't change or help with the fact that our inventory system, while very user friendly, is still unrealistic, and frankly arbitrary (also, please see my thread about utility belts for a very detailed suggestion on the matter).

It may be true that I CAN carry an ammo can in my pants by packing it in they way I did in the video above, but this realistically is extremely impractical, uncomfortable, and limiting in mobility. Tying one to my belt (another suggestion made above), while also possible, makes just as little sense: that much weight (a full can weighs about 30-40 pounds) hanging from your side, front, or back would severely un balance you, constantly get in the way as you attempt to move around (swinging around and what not), or, even if it were secured tightly, would quickly chafe, and stress muscles very seriously as you compensate for the weight hanging on one side.  

It makes even LESS sense that I can fit that same ammo can in a SHIRT. TTsKO, hoodie, tactical, etc. IMO, if you want to have the benefit of carrying an ammo can, you should be forced to put it someplace that makes SENSE, like a backpack. This whole concept also ties in nicely with my thread about the utility belt, for which I will leave a link below.

Currently, it just seems to me that so many items don't take up as much inventory space as they should, or they take up too much. Why is a walkie talkie radio half the "size" of an ammo can? its actually SMALLLER than a pistol, yet a pistol is the same "size" as an ammo can. Why am I able to somehow fit a fire axe in my hunting backpack, yet the actually in game model CLEARLY shows that its length would not allow this?

I really think that we should be FORCED to carry items in a way that makes sense. I shouldn't be able to stuff my ammo can in my pants, but I SHOULD have 4 separate pockets that could each hold a pistol. My fire axe shouldn't fit inside my hunting backpack....

With my idea or some version of it, it would be possible to have several pistol mags or speed loaders in a single pocket, reserving space in my backpack for other things like ammo cans, or storage boxes. Eventually, we will have a use and a NEED for cooking pots and frying pans. Neither of these items would fit inside my assault vest. They WOULD fit inside my backpack. With a realistic inventory system based on volume (but still user friendly), I would be able to relegate all those small, one inventory slot items to smaller pockets (4 FNx mags does not equal one cooking pot), freeing up room in the backpack for larger items that one could not, or simply would not (for practical reason) carry elsewhere.

I honestly believe this game will NEED a volume based inventory system at some point. But as said, ANYTHING, including the current system, is better than the arma 2 version.

Utility belt thread:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174509-canteens-utility-belts-and-more-now-with-pictures/

Edited by Crazykage

Its definitely better and more realistic.

But i think its a bit more unrealistic to design and implement, when they add building meterial and stuff, i will be a bit annoyed if all of my pockets were out of the question and i had to use only my backpack, it would mean i would have to leave lots of stuff behind.

And that would have to be a trade off.

If you want the benefit of a structure or base, you will need a way to efficiently transport material, like say, a vehicle.

You cant fit a 12 foot long 2X4 in your backpack, any more than a 6 foot x 6 foot sheet of plywood would fit in your pants. Without a vehicle, you would have to carry it in your hands, slowly.

In terms of base construction (assuming that it is implemented in this manner, we really have no idea), this encourages team work as well.

Here comes inventory tetris and thus begins the continuous rearrangement.

I just thought of this as well:

Stretch.

Say for example, I want to put a can of beans into my jeans pocket. The bean can has slightly greater volume than the single pocket, but not excessively so. IRL, I might be able to cram that sucker in there, but then have no way of getting anything else in with it.

So in game, a little bit of leeway is granted. If a single inventory slot can hold say, a pistol magazine, and still have half its volume empty, and I want to put a radio in there as well, if the radio does not exceed the total volume by an excessive amount, the pocket (inventory slot) is "stretched" to allow it to fit, however the pocket can no longer have any other items added to it, where without the radio, I might have been able to add 2 other, smaller items.

This way, the system doesn't become too unforgiving...

I see what your saying.

I could see a percentage tied to each pocket, and if the mag takes up 40% of your pocket as long as the radio takes up 60% or less it will fit.

As for the stretch I think once a pocket is stretched a timer is added to that pocket and depending on the percentage over it will take longer to pull that item out since it is stuffed in the pocket tight.

I could see this working if implemented right.

IMO just letting us rotate objects right now would make me happy.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

tried to watch the video....says its private...

no shit. dammnit.

Sorry about that. Fixed.