Sign in to follow this  
dragatsuya

Delay's when logging in

Hi,

First time poster, please bare with me.

As I am against server hopping myself,last night when I got home from work, I eagerly attempted to load my copy of DayZ.  To my disappointment the client locked just as I was going to get in and see my what changes are in, and what new weapons I can get my character after the update.  So I had to kill off the process via Task Manager and reload Dayz.  This caused the servers to lock me out and wait the 5 minutes to play, because it thought I was server hopping, even though I was logging right back into the same server I did before.

Personally, I don't think fixing the server hopping problem is to make people wait.  They hop servers because of loot spawns.  A more effective way to correct this issue is to correct the loot spawning, or have it put on a timer so that when something is picked up, it will respawn in "X" amount of time.

Moreover, this game is in alpha, General failures, crashes, server stalls, and server crashes happen, and this is just going to make people annoyed with the game.

On a positive note, this game is awesome, and the Dev's are working tirelessly on putting out great content.  BIG THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Drag.

Not entirely true.

A lot of players became accustomed to ghosting which is the process of going to another server to gain a vantage point on a player from the 1st server, then logging back into the 1st server for the kill.

Don't blame BI, blame the players for your woes.

• Like 1

The delays are their to stop players combat logging and server hopping, if people actually didn't do this they would not be there.

And yeah, the game is awesome.

Rgds

Ted

Hi,

As I am against server hopping myself,last night when I got home from work, I eagerly attempted to load my copy of DayZ.  To my disappointment the client locked just as I was going to get in and see my what changes are in, and what new weapons I can get my character after the update.  So I had to kill off the process via Task Manager and reload Dayz.  This caused the servers to lock me out and wait the 5 minutes to play, because it thought I was server hopping, even though I was logging right back into the same server I did before.

Personally, I don't think fixing the server hopping problem is to make people wait.  They hop servers because of loot spawns.  A more effective way to correct this issue is to correct the loot spawning, or have it put on a timer so that when something is picked up, it will respawn in "X" amount of time.

Moreover, this game is in alpha, General failures, crashes, server stalls, and server crashes happen, and this is just going to make people annoyed with the game.

On a positive note, this game is awesome, and the Dev's are working tirelessly on putting out great content.  BIG THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Drag.

None of your recommended "fixes" would effect server hopping or ghosting. In fact your "fixes" would encourage further server hopping for loot. The majority of the players think the timer should be even longer anyway so just go do something else for five minutes while you wait.

While it is a pain in the ass, it's preferred by me in that when I did hit the ghoster and he was bleeding, he then alt+f4 and while hopping patched himself up. had this happened post patch, he wouldn't have been able to ghost at all.

I'm sure there is a rework in the future and I'm hoping certain things about the system remain, but for now it's a decent solution to a problem that plagued the game for far too long. 

Hi,

Sorry, I'm really body conscious. But do go ahead if it makes you more comfortable.

There's a very limited number of situations where you get hit by the timer unfairly. Server restarts and crashes don't cause a login delay, and the client doesn't crash that often that you will get the full 5 minute timer.

In the rare occasion it happens, 5 minutes is not the end of the world. You already spend ages doing nothing that run in DayZ ;)

Don't get me wrong, something needs to be done about Combat Logging, Ghosting, and Server Hopping.  I just think having to wait 5 minutes for something that is out of my hands is a bit excessive.

and for the record, I have never combat logged, ghosted or server hopped.  I like to play this game properly, it adds to the enjoyment for me.

The delays are their to stop players combat logging and server hopping, if people actually didn't do this they would not be there.

And yeah, the game is awesome.

Rgds

Ted

you are mistaking. it is only there to stop the so called "combat logging" or "ghosting". all players farm loot, it is in the nature of the game ..the difference is in how long they loot a server before they change to another...

Edited by mssing