Sign in to follow this  
Swede (DayZ)

Is it right to avenge?

So, first post... yeah. Been playing the game for some 15hrs so I suppose I would count my self as a new player. 

This is my latest PvP interaction and it happened less than 30min before this post.

So, I was making my way through Berezino (right name?) strolling a little with my M4A1 I found at NW airfield. I was at the time at the factory area in the northern parts of the town when I rounded a corner and a person standing in the asphalt grounds infront of a big office house of the factory complex. So I though "Might as well go over to him slowly and see if he is friendly". I begin going forwards with my weapon up and ready to shoot if he was evil. Suddenly he just drops to the ground and I am clueless to what had happened, 2 seconds later another person runs out of the office towards the dead body and I decided in a split second that I would avenge the dead even if he were a Bandit.

I opened fire.

Sadly I missed all my shots (15 hours not that good shot and at about 70-100m, so yeah) and the guy ran into the building again. I literally panicked but decided to press on and investigate the office. The dude was completely gone, I bet he was a combat logger because I couldn't find him even from a look-out position on top of the office. 

I left the building and searched the dead body. All he had was 20 mosin rounds and a mosin  with a scope so I decided to leave his body in peace and I ran away. I felt kind of glad as I remembered how I just denied the bandit a mosin, a nice feeling since I generally have tried to be nice to people (which has gotten me killed once, so my chances currently of meeting nice people is at 50-60% after 15hrs of playing).

Was I right to try and avenge this person, even if he was a bandit he was KOS. Can it be justified?

Swede. 

From a technical standpoint, you have no way to tell whether or not he was a bandit, or if it was self-defence. For all ya know, he could've been trying to get a shot off at the guy with a mosin. But, it was the right thing to do in the scenario. Considering he logged, he doesn't deserve any new gear.

There is no "Right" thing to do in Dayz.

And even if you from a moral standpoint are trying to do the right thing (be nice, only shoot in self defence or only shoot bandids for instance.

You STILL will get in situations that are not 100% crystal clear (like this) you may have shot someone that was defending themselfs.. you will never know :P

You might have been next. More luck hitting him next time, though. Although isn't the timer in place? I think he just vanished in a legit way.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone

You might have been next. More luck hitting him next time, though. Although isn't the timer in place? I think he just vanished in a legit way.

He might have tucked away in a corner when he logged.

Just enough out of site to be safe.

I would never avenge someone i dont know or play with, especially if its in a highly populated server.  If I was playing with any of my team mates though and that had happened I would most certainly avenge his death... It all depends but on a complete stranger, playing for 15 hours, and have great gear i wouldnt of done that... Only way I would of done that in your case was if i was within 20mm of the bandit.   but your a good soul and what keeps dayz fun... cheers mate!!