Sign in to follow this  
jubeidok

A way to combat ghosting/server hopping/logging in in general

Give the players that are already there a fighting chance. 

Let's face it, even if a player isn't server hopping or ghosting he or she can still end up with an unfair advantage when logging in for the day/night. People can pop in out of nowhere at any time and it doesn't matter if it's right next door to you or 200m away, they weren't there 5 mins ago, but they are there now. What can be done about it? You have to let people login whenever they want and at the same spot they logged off. So what I suggest is to have a bit of an environmental alarm in the form of a loud, unique zombie growl play any time a player logs in within 100-200 meters of your location. That way it's something that still fits within the environment while being a loud enough sound to be heard a fair distance away. This zombie growl would not indicate the direction or distance the player is from you, but just as a heads up that there is a new threat to worry about somewhere in the surrounding area. The growl should sound pretty far way, echoing from over the hills, so that an area that is cleared of zombies doesn't have some unrealistic invisible zombie yapping away. I think this would also be a great way of instilling fear among players, like in the case of a lone survivor looting away when suddenly hearing 3 consecutive blood curdling howls. Oh shit!

And yes, the players logging in would also hear the screams, so they too know they are not alone.

I think that was either what the reloading sound upon logging in was supposed to represent, or that sound was an unintended consequence but used for exactly what you intended.

Honestly, now with the server login timers the issue will reduce.  Situations will still come up, but I don't think you'll see people using it as an everyday tact in terms of the ghosting.  People may still try and combat log, but if you're an aggressive player you can make them pay for it now.

Problem solved I'd say.

I think that was either what the reloading sound upon logging in was supposed to represent, or that sound was an unintended consequence but used for exactly what you intended.

Honestly, now with the server login timers the issue will reduce.  Situations will still come up, but I don't think you'll see people using it as an everyday tact in terms of the ghosting.  People may still try and combat log, but if you're an aggressive player you can make them pay for it now.

Problem solved I'd say.

Not quite. The reloading sound is direct, it's giving away position, is only about a 10ft radius and is in my opinion a bug. It isn't serving as a warning for the guy searching in building C, that has just been through building A & B that all of a sudden, in the blink of an eye there is now a threat in building A.

Now, if some dude comes running down the hill, out from the trees and makes it into building A unseen, we have the same situation do we not? Not, because at least there was an opportunity for the chump in building C to spot the player making his way to building A. And that's really the issue I think needs solving, players popping into existence in areas that have been previously searched by players still in the vicinity. It's just not really fair and do you really want to get a kill that way?

I think this zombie howl method to give players a lil heads up of the unnatural materialization of a new threat without being too cheesy or unfair to the incoming player while still remaining a believable part of the environment would be a cool feature. 

Edited by JubeiDOK

I think the best solution for this problem is adding messages like: " <nick name> is logged out " and it will be work only in 50m radius from you.

Didn't even bother to read your post after the thread title.

Have you seen the sticky on this forum? did you search this topic? do you know this gets posted 10 times any given day?

The devs are aware of the problem.

Didn't even bother to read your post after the thread title.

Have you seen the sticky on this forum? did you search this topic? do you know this gets posted 10 times any given day?

The devs are aware of the problem.

You mad bro?  What's with all the questions?  Did you know you sound like a complete fuck-face?

I'd like to help you out... which way did you come in?