glowfow@hotmail.com

Children

Little disclaimer: This might be a controversial topic to some, so if you are easily offende.... wtf are you doing here? Right, that said... I might be a little sick in the head, but I had the idea the other day of being able to play as a child. Now I understand that this is a high cost - low gain development situation, so I have no illusions of it ever happening, but I wanted to gauge opinion on the matter anyway.

Now ofcourse it would have to be implemented in an elegant way that not everyone plays as a kid because of smaller hitboxes (think severe limitation to usage of items such as not able to wear the bigger packs, restrict use of rifles or increased recoil, limited in performing medical treatments etc.).

Maybe it's just my desire to rp a family where I have to protect my kid from harm and can bitch with my wife about how to do that, but where does a non-rp'er stand on this subject? Any die hard KoS'er out there who would think twice to pull the trigger when he sees a child in his scope? Or would he still think "fuck it, I need his schoolboy pants to make bandages"? Or could it lead to extreme situations where people would really feel sick after witnessing a child excecution? "A 27 year old male commited suicide after witnessing a massacre of children in online game" How's that for a slice of bad publicity? I really don't know what people's feelings are regarding this, so discuss away.

• Like 6

I think with the current options for degrading of another player then adding children would be akin to asking for a law suit which effectively shuts down your whole business.

• Like 7

Lawsuits and outright bans! Sorry, there is a reason children don't get represented in most video games.

• Like 1

I would be in full support of this if people didn't get so butthurt by things like this. However, i'm not in support of this due to the fact that I don't want to see this game get banned everywhere.

Pros: That would make a hell of a news article-It's more realistic-Would definitely make a good 'family' gaming experience

Cons: Lawsuits-The game would become one of the most controversial & infamous games in history-Every news station in the world would be bashing the game- Children would still get KOS'd-They would have to be extremely underpowered to make up for the smaller hitboxes

In conclusion: The developers are smart enough to know that enhancing gameplay to this level isn't worth the lawsuits ahead.

Edited by Hexxalot

I think with the current options for degrading of another player then adding children would be akin to asking for a law suit which effectively shuts down your whole business.

Yes that's probably true, but lets disregard the corrupt justice system, because we both know that if a lawsuit were to happen against such a feature it would be done by organizations looking for publicity themselves to stroke their high horse and gain some standing in their community and politicians to boost their career. It would not be done to Save the Children... because quite frankly, I don't think a game with this feature should even be played by children.

I don't really think it would be that big of a fuss at all... I mean there are a lot of other games that allow you to kill children zombies... No More Room In Hell is one example..

http://kotaku.com/zombie-game-creator-defends-allowing-players-to-kill-un-1457086109

To me that is no different than killing a 'living' adolescent toting a gun..

As well as you can kill as many kids as you can find in the Mos Espa level of The Phantom Menace game from 1999.

Look at the old Deus Ex games too.

Edited by teufel937
  • Like 1

Yay let's cuff and force feed disinfectant spray to little children (sarcasm)

How many people would actually do that? I recall the freaking outrage on the GTA V torture scene where people skipped it or couldn't continue. Those who played through it and enjoyed it need to seek help, those who played through it and felt a bit sick afterwards gained an experience that could change them into an outspoken advocate against torture practices.

Well in general it is cool if it was like a "Grime's Family Situation" (TWD) but, lawsuits would spike up all over DayZ because of children in the game. It most likely won't happen. Sorry :(

In the old Incredible Hulk game you could throw children into trucks and the ocean LOL

And I don't think TLOU (The Last of Us) got a lot of negative feedback for being able to play as the little girl who in one scene can brutally get impaled by a freaking machete, who was brutally beaten, stabbed, attacked by 'zombies', etc.

Here is a death montage http://youtu.be/5o5xw9-EvTg?t=12m18s

Edited by teufel937

I have no illusions of it ever happening,

Well in general it is cool if it was like a "Grime's Family Situation" (TWD) but, lawsuits would spike up all over DayZ because of children in the game. It most likely won't happen. Sorry :(

Don't worry I've got the emotional relapse of it never happening covered :)

Personally I advocate freedom of expression within the arts; and what art is higher or more all-encompassing than that of video-games? That said, it would be a lawsuit or banning debacle waiting to happen. Players might be ready for this sort of thing, but society isn't.  :(

I remember the massive outrage at the airport level in Call of Duty, didn't really see what all the fuss was about myself. At the end of the day all it is is pixels on the screen, people just have to blame something for horrendous occurrences which are probably caused by the intolerance's they can't admit too. I feel no more disgusted by anything I've seen in a video-game than certain paintings by Francis Bacon, and far less than pictures made by good war photographers. Yet those same people that would cry out against a violent video game would probably support another Vietnam war. Hypocrisy 1 - Sense 0.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and big up for whoever made the Killable Children mod for Skyrim, why shouldn't I if I want to? I never have, but the freedom to should be there...

I like your idea about family role-play. "Yes honey, I agree he is a little young; but what happens if we both get eaten? He needs to be able to swing that axe correctly..."  ^^

Edited by Survivor_Sabre
  • Like 1

Have any of you never played any other of the games I've mentioned? NMRIH, TLOU, The Phantom Menace, The Incredible Hulk, the old Deus Ex games?

In ALL of those you can kill children living or undead, or be a child and freaking die brutal deaths? No big fuss over those!

Edited by teufel937

How many people would actually do that? I recall the freaking outrage on the GTA V torture scene where people skipped it or couldn't continue. Those who played through it and enjoyed it need to seek help, those who played through it and felt a bit sick afterwards gained an experience that could change them into an outspoken advocate against torture practices.

~ Ordinary people do fucked up things when fucked up things become ordinary ~

• Like 1

In the old Incredible Hulk game you could throw children into trucks and the ocean LOL

And I don't think TLOU (The Last of Us) got a lot of negative feedback for being able to play as the little girl who in one scene can brutally get impaled by a freaking machete, who was brutally beaten, stabbed, attacked by 'zombies', etc.

Here is a death montage http://youtu.be/5o5xw9-EvTg?t=12m18s

Whoa!... Brutal.  ^^

I like this one I found a while ago...  :)

I guess in these examples they are tolerable because the point is you are trying to avoid them?

Edited by Survivor_Sabre

I played TLOU, but I didn't die so never saw any of the brutal things you mentioned. And can you kill Anakin in The phantom menace... that alone might be worth it, no matter the shittyness of the game.

edit: just saw the vid you linked... watched about two minutes, but I didn't find it that brutal... if they would've gone ahead and chew off her head pretty graphically it would most likely have gotten some more attention. Also these are NPC - PC innteractions and not between two human beings... if that would make any difference on the matter.

Edited by JoostVoordeel

Whoa!... Brutal.  ^^

Especially the 'David Boss Fight' it is around 16 minutes or so? But I own the game and it is a GREAT game, playing as Ellie was one of the best parts I thought.

And she was treated exactly as any other character was in the game, which made it challenging it wasn't balanced in her favor which made it great.

All I am trying to say is I don't think there would be as big of a fuss as everyone is making it seem there would be, no bans, no law suits.

If there would be why did TLOU do so successful?

Edited by teufel937

Australia would undoubtedly ban, they do not like kiddy violence at all.

Also, I can't remember who exactly said it, or where on the forum it was, but the general gist was that they had no problem pushing boundaries as long as it was for a purpose. A fair stance to take. Kids in DayZ is a little unnecessary, no matter how much many think it would add too immersion.

EDIT: Found the quote:

orlok, DayZ Forum Team; on the subject of cannibalism and other things brought up in http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168722-we-need-cannibalism/

If these "ideas", no matter how distasteful, could add something to the game or peoples perceptions of the realities of such actions the Id be all for them being in games. I'm all for pushing boundaries but only for a very good reason, never "just fer teh lulz"

Edited by Survivor_Sabre

When making comparisons, please consider the difference between multiplayer interaction and single player action.

A lawsuit about what? There are no laws against depicting children in video games. Certainly a ban in certain countries, but lawsuit is a bit silly to suggest.

They could always offer a toggle option for servers?

A disclaimer like they did with CoD when you shoot up an entire airport.

A lawsuit about what? There are no laws against depicting children in video games. Certainly a ban in certain countries, but lawsuit is a bit silly to suggest.

a lawsuit about the abuse of a child in a video game.

If anyone would do it, Rocket is the type of person to do it and that's why we love him.

a lawsuit about the abuse of a child in a video game.

That doesn't make any sense. What is the basis for the lawsuit? You can't just sue someone for doing something that makes you uncomfortable dude. That's not how it works. A lawsuit must have grounds in order to be heard by a court of law. A law must be broken or someone must suffer damages either physically or financially. "That guy did something icky!" is not going to make it to court.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1