AsHawkins

=Zombie Brutality=

=Zombie Brutality=

I can't stop picturing the ultimate Zed encounter. I did my best to find a clip similar to my thoughts, but there was no match.

I still want to discuss how Zeds could be in DayZ - Here are a few points I will make now -

• How the Zeds Take a Bullet
  • If the Only Way to Kill a Zed is Head shot
  • How Impact Affects a Zed
  • The Damage a Zed Can Inflict
  • The Subtlety a Zed Can Have
  • The Sounds a Zed Will Make
  • & What it Takes to Attract a Zed

Many confuse DayZ with a survival simulator - and many are wrong. DayZ is a game of survival, strategy, and will. A few more things, but those are key components. At the moment, DayZ is an Early Access game that consists of Canned Beans, Canteens, and PvP. What of the Zombies?

Well.. The Zombies in DayZ are nothing but non-collidable pests that smack you around and... well that's it.

It's not even that entertaining to kill them, because they don't fall on impact, they just drop. Let me show you a few clips on how

.                    Zombies should be in DayZ                    .

These clips above are my example on how Zombies in DayZ should behave, this would be a perfect horror immersion. 

Just imagine this story  - 

You're in Chernarus in the dark of night, you see a streetlight stand in front of a two story house, the light flickers above the door. You're hungry, there could be food - as you approach the door, your hear a faint moan... Distressed, groggy, hoarse. You grab your Mosin from it's sling, your body shakes with suspense. You enter the house-

It's dark, you can only see the outline of doorways and furniture, but you don't want to attract whatever resides in here. You can hear pain and gurgling from upstairs.. So you take slow steps, through the first doorway, into the kitchen. Now is your time to get what you need and get out. You flick on your flashlight, scanning the kitchen - A can of fruit sits next to the fridge.

You walk up, grab it, and as you turn around,  a bloody Zed stands before you. Your heart stops - you stay still, with your flashlight locked on. The Zeds face drips with saliva and blood, it's eyes are bloodshot, and faint. It stands, waiting for a single twitch. The only thought in your mind is to grab your rifle and blast this bitch.

Sweat rolls down your face, you shoot your hand for your rifle - The Zed shrieks, charging at you. 

Boom - Click - Boom.

The Zeds slams you against the fridge, tearing at you as bash the butt of the Mosin against it's head, knocking it down, and running for the door - you make it outside, you hear roaring and thrashing all around you. You scan back and forth. You can barely see anything but Zeds. From every direction. Running for you - they heard the shots

This is the intense situation you should get stuck in when you make naive decisions for survival. You should've just hit the Zed and ran, but firing off 2 rounds attracted them as far as the sound traveled.

I want to give some examples of sounds Zeds would make - what you would hear in the horizon, or around a corner. Be warned - these are a bit graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVptUNM4Tc

The Zeds so far look alright. I've given enough examples to discuss, I would show pictures of what Zeds could looks like aswell. But DayZ has a long way to go. So let us take advantage of the time to implement perfection, horror, and the encounters of DayZ.

Let's make the survival game of tomorrow, and let's make it great.

It will be worth it.

If the Only Way to Kill a Zed is Head shot

Do you know why (all ?) most games don't have this feature ?

Because landing a headshot on a moving target, contrary to what The walking dead is showing is a very hard task. In fact most people would not be able to do it without wasting a lot of ammo.

Edited by chmielu1258
  • Like 3

I think the zombies should be more like the zombies in WWZ....and i like the sounds...but the hedshot only is a little much....

Edited by RedPhantomX4

If the Only Way to Kill a Zed is Head shot

Do you know why (all ?) most games don't have this feature ?

Because landing a headshot on a moving target, contrary to what The walking dead is showing is a very hard task. In fact most people would not be able to do it without wasting a lot of ammo.

Then don't put yourself in that situation. And if you are in that situation-and can't land a headshot that you know of.. Run.

Then don't put yourself in that situation. And if you are in that situation-and can't land a headshot that you know of.. Run.

Oh I am not talking about myself, I am seasoned FPS player who runs around with sniper rifle. I can shoot accurately. But zeds in this game are fast, they will be many and that will not go well with headshot only.

I see no problem with having zombies only "die" via headshots. Doing this from a distance may take some practice and some bullets, but realistically anyone could wait for a zombie to run up to them and blow a hole in their face point blank.

Also keep in mind, they would need to obey some of the laws of human anatomy. Ex: If you put a bullet through its spine, depending on how high you put the bullet the zombie will either be forced to crawl or be completely paralyzed. (Essentially dead)

The zombie will either be forced to crawl or be completely paralyzed. (Essentially dead)

This is a great idea, I have considered being able to impair the Zed without actually killing it. 

Zeds in this game are fast, they will be many and that will not go well with headshot only.

I mentioned that a headshot only would actually kill the Zed, but the point is to escape it in a tight situation, Like post above - to impair without actually executing.

You guys do realize those are not Romero style zombies ? They are more of a rabid humans, but still just humans, meaning injuries that will kill a healthy human will also kill the infected. And devs clearly don't want Romero style zombies.

Also you just can't have a horde of fast zombies that can only be killed by a headshot new players will be royally fucked until they can get a gun and some ammo . That's why they add military zombies which will tougher, they wear helmets and will wear some body armour.

Edited by chmielu1258

You just can't have a horde of fast zombies that can only be killed by a headshot new players will be royally fucked until they can get a gun and a ammo .

That's actually a great point, I wouldn't want all the Zeds to be agile or fast. Based on level of infection - is how the Zed's psychosis affects itself. 

And what I mean is - some are more sensitive to movement and sound than others, some can see you clearly and some have to wait for movement to attack.

But to hit a Zed with a blunt weapon to knock it down or break limbs would impair it, as to destroying the heart or brain would eliminate it.

That's actually a great point, I wouldn't want all the Zeds to be agile or fast. Based on level of infection - is how the Zed's psychosis affects itself. 

And what I mean is - some are more sensitive to movement and sound than others, some can see you clearly and some have to wait for movement to attack.

But to hit a Zed with a blunt weapon to knock it down or break limbs would impair it, as to destroying the heart or brain would eliminate it.

Look up infected in The Last of Us

They are pretty much embodiment of that idea.

I don't like the headshot thing. I think of the zombies on DayZ as the infected from 28 days later that have the Rage virus. They can be killed normally and not restrict it to headshots only. I found it really hard to get a headshot on DayZ with moving and still targets.