Sign in to follow this  
TiptonSamurai

Character Died from 5ft drop (estimate)

I have only just recently received my first gun (M4A1), and while I was looting, I thought I saw someone and went and stood inside a Deer stand. While I was trying to get down from there, I went a bit close to the edge and when my character touched the floor it said my character had died... So not only did it take me a several hours of gathering resources but died from a stupid height... Now I've got to restart with a fresh character and try and replace everything and some how try and find an army camp or hangar...

I know this game is still working out it's kinks but this is just ridiculous.

I have mentioned this in a previous thread but can someone point me in the right direction for a refund please.

its not "working out its kinks", that would be beta, this is early alpha i.e. the game has only a fraction of the content of the full release and what there is is in active development (i.e. its mostly broken).

As for a refund I think steam will give you one if you ask for it, but only one, so you might want to consider carefully if this game is going to be your one and only refund ever.

LifdLsw.png

Shamelessly stolen ;)

L-Hue

Edited by LittleHue
  • Like 4

Thats funny cos I was dying of starvation, had an infection And needed to die!

Thought id jump off the nearest factory...

climbed up onto the roof, took a look at the scenery for one last time then jumped... basically I survived, no broken legs or anything. I then found a rather high tower, jumped and same again lol!

In the end i got two zombies to finish me off!

• Like 1

I have only just recently received my first gun (M4A1), and while I was looting, I thought I saw someone and went and stood inside a Deer stand. While I was trying to get down from there, I went a bit close to the edge and when my character touched the floor it said my character had died... So not only did it take me a several hours of gathering resources but died from a stupid height... Now I've got to restart with a fresh character and try and replace everything and some how try and find an army camp or hangar...

I have mentioned this in a previous thread but can someone point me in the right direction for a refund please.

Did you know that people walking along the ground in real life sometimes fall over, hit their heads, and die traveling less than 6 feet to the ground? Yes, it is most likely a bug but anyone who has played DayZ in the past knows you don't mess around with changes in elevation because you can fall down and die. Most of us are extremely careful around ladders. You should have seen the bugs in the mod.

Hi.

No offence OP, but your being rather silly. Do you always buy games without knowing anything about them? Even if it wasn't alpha, you still would lose all your gear when you die, that's what DayZ is all about.

Regards.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say it's silly, since I have encountered nothing but problems with the game since i've had it.

And I'd rather play a game than take someone elses opinion or facts about a game before I have it. So yea I do buy games knowing little about them, or I find a demo before I buy.

I wouldn't say it's silly, since I have encountered nothing but problems with the game since i've had it.

And I'd rather play a game than take someone elses opinion or facts about a game before I have it. So yea I do buy games knowing little about them, or I find a demo before I buy.

When you buy a game in early access you should expect to have nothing but problems with it. Its not finished, not even nearly finished.  If you don't want to have loads of problems with your games then don't buy games in early access.

Does no fucker read any more?

"WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING."

• Like 4

its not that the game is "ALPHA"

this was there in the mod also.

Forever dying in the white barns.

So because it's a standalone alpha now and not a mod anymore every single glitch and inconvenient game element should be fixed now?

got it

Would you still be on here crying if you had fell off the deer stand with an ungeared character? If steam give you a refund I'd be suprised, it would be a case of rewarding someone for their own stupidity. Which intern is itself pretty stupid.

Edited by MartinD

Yes, because falling down can lead to death. Tripping can lead to death. Falling from 5 feet can lead to death. I'm talking about real life and not any games right now.

That is why you take care, and walk.

While Boromir is usually not cautious, even he knows the perils of small drops.

• Like 1

Would you still be on here crying if you had fell off the deer stand with an ungeared character? If steam give you a refund I'd be suprised, it would be a case of rewarding someone for their own stupidity. Which intern is itself pretty stupid.

Yea I would cause I think it's ridiculous and think it's stupid how some have fallen of roofs and survived but yet I fall off a 5ft drop and die straight away.. My character was healthy (had plenty food, water, aint-biotics, med kit, etc..)

Edited by TiptonSamurai

Yea I would cause I think it's ridiculous and think it's stupid how some have fallen of roofs and survived but yet I fall off a 5ft drop and die straight away.. My character was healthy (had plenty food, water, aint-biotics, med kit, etc..)

I *think* (and I am speculating here) that the reason this other person survived his fall from a roof is that he was playing on the current experimental build of the game, where fall damage is bugged, and you don't take any. It's a bug that was introduced with the latest experimental patch and will hopefully be remedied before that build goes to stable, but don't count on it.

Now I've got to restart with a fresh character and try and replace everything and some how try and find an army camp or hangar...

If you're not going to enjoy re-gearing, then oh man, this is not the game for you. The permadeath isn't going away. It's nice to have a friend nearby who can grab some of your important stuff when you die, but that's a best-case scenario around here.

• Like 1

I really hope you won't get any refund, because that would simply be stupid

"Hey i bought this early alpha and i like to have a refund because it's early alpha!"

There are people who died in much worse ways than falling of a deerstand in SA and in the mod, instead of whining and complaining you should do what you've paid for: Give feedback and help developing this game. Maybe you're the first dying from falling off a deer stand, maybe this has never occured before. So how could this be fixed by now, if you haven't given feedback about this "bug".

but seriously... try falling down 2 meters with full military gear and a 40 kg backpack... this will hurt and you might break some bones... which will simply be your deathsentence in a post apocalyptic zombie world.

I really hope you won't get any refund, because that would simply be stupid

"Hey i bought this early alpha and i like to have a refund because it's early alpha!"

There are people who died in much worse ways than falling of a deerstand in SA and in the mod, instead of whining and complaining you should do what you've paid for: Give feedback and help developing this game. Maybe you're the first dying from falling off a deer stand, maybe this has never occured before. So how could this be fixed by now, if you haven't given feedback about this "bug".

but seriously... try falling down 2 meters with full military gear and a 40 kg backpack... this will hurt and you might break some bones... which will simply be your deathsentence in a post apocalyptic zombie world.

I didn't say I was getting rid of the game because it's early Alpha (your assumption). Like I said, since i've had this game I have had nothing but problems and don't wish to continue having these problems. So instead of keeping the game, i'd rather get my money back and buy a game that I can enjoy more than this.

I think that can just about sum up everyones hate comments.

There are multiple warnings on the Steam page, this website and at the beginning of the game itself that make it clear these kind of errors will occur. 

Not meaning to be rude, but you should have read them and considered them before buying, as Steam does not give refunds.

Whenever I buy a game I spend at least an hour or two looking into whether it is worth my money. If you're going to be impulsive with your purchases, you only have yourself to blame if they do not turn out to be something you're interested in. This isn't such a problem when you have a physical copy of a game, because you could always return it, but as Steam does not do refunds it is important to do quite a bit of research before committing to buy something on there. 

With the example of DayZ, it is quite clear to any prospective buyer willing to spend even a couple of minutes researching that the game is unfinished, lacks features and contains some game breaking bugs and issues. If you did not know this before you purchased the game that's your problem. The development team have been very transparent and do not dress DayZ up as a finished or even nearly finished game. You should have known this, instead of clicking 'buy now' because it was on the top sellers list.

Furthermore, coming here to criticize the game, after apparently being unable to comprehend said warnings, demanding unobtainable refunds is only going to get yourself and many others riled up. It would be more worth your while if you just left us to enjoy the game :) rather than having a furiously heated argument with most of this forum's members.

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Your height estimation is terrible.  Unless your character is about 2.5 foot tall.. a deer stand is twice the height of a character, so about 12 foot.  Still not enought to die.. it should have just left you with a broken ankle and made you crawl for 2 hours instead! :)

People falling off things the whole time has nothing to do with it being alpha.. its to do with players using run by default and or not being able to simply not fall off things!  Its Darwin's law... a lot players don't seem to need zombies to die in a survival game.. simple ladder takes care a good number, and its not the ladder's fault.

Edited by MadTommy

Your guy must have been in a really bad condition. You dont even take damage from deer stand heights. Unless it was one of those tall military ones.

You don't deserve a refund you dribbler... The game is in Alpha it is not complete you paid to help the development which you are not doing you're whineing instead.

It's happened to all of us get over and move on the whole idea of the game is not to get attached to your loot.

Did you read my thread on I'M NEVER LEAVING THE GROUND well stick to that rule and stop complaining.

Edited by P3Nn

Your guy must have been in a really bad condition. You dont even take damage from deer stand heights. Unless it was one of those tall military ones.

Lies all lies... I've fallen two feet and broke my legs!