BadassPreacher

Blood trails and scent.

I wonder how people would feel about blood trails that would fade off in a while. For example if you got into a fight, and made the other guy bleed and he started running away like a madman. You could then follow the blood trails and track him down until he bandaged himself. Now these trails wouldn't be obvious or paint the streets red, but with some practice you could track someone down fairly effortlessly. Unless they ran in circles or something to throw you off :)

Second thing I was thinking about, was the scent of blood and zombies. Currently zombies are an annoyance instead of a threat, and I realize this will likely change in the future as the development progresses. But what if zombies could smell blood in their vicinity, and this would actually be the strongest aggro effect possible, even overriding some of the others like line of sight... Let's say you and your buddy are out looting a town, when you suddenly come face to face with the more dangerous zombies of the future. The zeds start chasing after you, and you know they will get you eventually. At this point you could literally stab your friend in the back, making him bleed. The zombies would instantly switch aggro to your friend, and you could escape the situation safely. You make it out alive by betraying your friend, only to live a life filled with remorse, guilt and Rasputin Kvass...

The second one could be taken a step further if/when the zombie hordes come in: Ripping open a bloodbag could serve as a good distraction for zeds for a minute or so.

Edited by Badass Preacher
  • Like 7

what if zombies could smell blood in their vicinity, and this would actually be the strongest aggro effect possible, even overriding some of the others like line of sight...

Beans for this part.

Wow, an actual useful post on the forum. I actually support this, but the blood should be no where near completely obvious. You should have to REALLY look for it.

Scent doesn't carry that far in air and unless it blows into your direction you will hardly notice it. And the human nose isn't that sensitive anymore, undead, dead or whatelse...

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

I actually do like this idea, especially the betrying part...so mean and heartless...so DayZ ;)

But (without trying to play police or whatever) I can remember some similar threads...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165948-blood-tracks

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165924-were-the-food/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165824-persistent-blood-from-kills

Zombies are sick humans. I don't see how it's possible for them to have a mutation that gives them super smell (not to mention all the zeds are covered in blood)

I do like the blood trail idea however.

This would be a death sentence to anyone who accidentally gets hit by a zombie, as being hit by even one will guarantee that every other zombie in the town will be on you.

Well with all of the zeds other senses dulled why couldn't their sense of smell improve?

• Like 1

Love the blood trail idea.  Helps against combat loggers too.  I got two hits on a guy in firefight the other night, but he ducked around a house and I lost him.  We think he logged inside the house before anyone could get in there, but we're not sure.  A blood trail would have been awesome!

This would be a good way to both boost the threat level of Zombies and the usefulness of bloodbags, which in turn slightly lowers the kosing. Have my beans, you deserve them.