Gimpylung

What will make me trust another player? Solo players v. Solo player

Maybe a bit oftopic, but I leave it here... :P     sorry....

Conflict....

On the basis of a review of relevant literature, five belief domains stand out as especially noteworthy: Superiority, injustice, vulnerability, distrust and helplessness.

1. Superiority

This core belief revolves around a person's enduring conviction that he or she is better than other people in important ways. The cluster of attitudes commonly associated with this belief includes a sense of specialness, deserving ness, and entitlement.

2. Injustice

The perceived mistreatment by specific others or by the world at large. This mindset can lead the individual to identify something as unfair which is merely unfortunate, and thereby to inappropriately engage in retaliatory acts.

3. Vulnerability

The vulnerability core belief revolves around a person's conviction that he or she s perpetually living in harm's way. Vulnerability involves a person's perception of him or herself as subject to internal or external dangers over which control is lacking, or is insufficient to afford him or her a sense of safety.

4. Distrust

This core belief focuses on the presumed hostility and malign intent of others. The critical role played by issues of trust in individual psychological development has long been recognized. The expectation that others will hurt, abuse, humiliate, cheat, lie, or take advantage usually involves the perception that harm is intentional or the result of unjustified and extreme negligence. People who consistently assume the worst about the intentions of others prevent truly collaborative relationships from developing.

5. Helplessness

The conviction that even carefully planned and executed actions will fail to produce desired outcomes. In some cases, the individual may perceive him or herself as lacking the ability necessary to attain a goal. Regardless of the extent to which helplessness is a matter of distorted perception or objective reality, this core belief tends to be self-perpetuating because it diminishes motivation.

• Like 1

Maybe a bit oftopic, but I leave it here... :P     sorry....

Conflict....

On the basis of a review of relevant literature, five belief domains stand out as especially noteworthy: Superiority, injustice, vulnerability, distrust and helplessness.

1. Superiority

This core belief revolves around a person's enduring conviction that he or she is better than other people in important ways. The cluster of attitudes commonly associated with this belief includes a sense of specialness, deserving ness, and entitlement.

2. Injustice

The perceived mistreatment by specific others or by the world at large. This mindset can lead the individual to identify something as unfair which is merely unfortunate, and thereby to inappropriately engage in retaliatory acts.

3. Vulnerability

The vulnerability core belief revolves around a person's conviction that he or she s perpetually living in harm's way. Vulnerability involves a person's perception of him or herself as subject to internal or external dangers over which control is lacking, or is insufficient to afford him or her a sense of safety.

4. Distrust

This core belief focuses on the presumed hostility and malign intent of others. The critical role played by issues of trust in individual psychological development has long been recognized. The expectation that others will hurt, abuse, humiliate, cheat, lie, or take advantage usually involves the perception that harm is intentional or the result of unjustified and extreme negligence. People who consistently assume the worst about the intentions of others prevent truly collaborative relationships from developing.

5. Helplessness

The conviction that even carefully planned and executed actions will fail to produce desired outcomes. In some cases, the individual may perceive him or herself as lacking the ability necessary to attain a goal. Regardless of the extent to which helplessness is a matter of distorted perception or objective reality, this core belief tends to be self-perpetuating because it diminishes motivation.

They all appear to be relevent to gaming in general and number 4 seems particularly discriptive of DayZ as it is right now, although all 5 beliefs are manifest in the game

Edited by Gimpylung

I see many videos maybe both sides think they act fair, nice, human...

They kill each other. :P

Edited by NoCheats

I adapted a set of basic best practices at this point in the Alpha.

If I catch someone stalking me, trying to sneak up on me or camping at a vantage point with a raised weapon I KOS

If I see someone with a brandished weapon I meet them with an aimed weapon and ask if they are friendly if they don't answer I ask them to raise their hand or type if they don't have a mic, if they don't respond and move I KOS, If they do respond "hey I'm friendly or I'm cool" I raise my hand and greet them proper.

If I meet someone with only an axe or no brandished weapon I greet them and ask if they are friendly. If they respond I raise my hand and greet them if they don't respond I leave and tell them not to follow me or I will KOS.

If someone sees me first and aims on me and asks me if I'm friendly I will raise my hand and respond.  If they try to order me or ask me to surrender I will go for my weapon.  I have been killed trying to do this but I will never surrender or accept any form of capture, threats or ultimatums from anyone.  I'm not your play thing or your ego trip.  

I have also caught people in a bluff.  A guy drew down on me with his Mosin where I only had an axe and he wanted me to surrender it.  I told him he can take it off my dead body and went at him, he tried to run away but he was crouched and I clobbered him as he plead "don't kill me" and I did.  He had a Mosin but no bullets.

I have met a lot of cool people and had some nice chats where we both are just on or quests for adventure.  I've also killed a few pricks and killed by them.

Such is DayZ

Edited by NO_FEAR
  • Like 2

I've also killed a few pricks and killed by them.

Such is DayZ

That line cracked me up :)

I was normally falling for killing a player that was attacking me and then take any lot from his inventory, but I thought it would be a wise idea to check my surrounding just in case there a group of bandits that tried to kill me on my last playthrough. But there was nobody with him. I notice not all the gear he was caring wasn't ruined, lucky. I tried getting an Ammo box to drop out of the dead player's inventory. But I couldn't get it our for apparent reason. So I decided I don't want to waste anymore time and I get out of site by heading in the woods so I could avoid any attention from other players.

I kill other players not because I want to fight, but I'm afraid of interacting with other players.