Sign in to follow this  
Kerwyn

Estimating the Time Without a Watch

So as we all know, currently there are no watches in game. Which 99% of the time, doesn't bother me. However it would be nice to have some way of knowing how long I had until sunset, or sunrise, without having to log out and check the server time (which I'm not 100% convinced is accurate.) This got me thinking, the idea of the portable timepiece has only been around since about 15th century. So how did mankind get by before this? Surely there must be a way of estimating what time it is without the need of complicated mechanical or electrical devices.

I took the question to Google, and it provided me some interesting answers, most notably this Wikihow, But everything I see there requires knowledge of the date and timezone you're in. Which is fine for the real world, but I have no idea where Chernarus is supposed to be, and whether its sky box is accurate to that region.

So I'm going to continue researching ways to tell time, as this seems like a useful skill to have even in the real world (Or at least a fun party trick to amuse people at the bus stop) but I figured I'd bring the question to you fine folks, perhaps one of the millions of fans of this game is smarter than myself and has already solved this problem of trying to get an estimate of the time based off the sun or stars. 

we could align the compas direct to the middle of the sun, login out and check (incorrect) servertime. after a few severs we should be able to tell at least the serverbrowsertime.

but i noticed some issues on the timezone, sometimes the server appears Night to me but others have still full daylight. Similar to Rain/weather.

Edited by Guest

You could reverse-engineer this with a compass if you can figure out the angles. You can know what hour it is via this.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

Position of the sun in the sky, is a quick way to tell what time it is.

Sun low and in the east = early morning

Sun high and directly overhead = midday etc etc

With your back to the beach near Cherno or Elektro..Sun on your right coming up..boooooo gtfo. Sun on your left going down..partay taime bitches !!

This is handy too..

awaof5.jpg

check your spot on map, and try facing west, if u get god rayed to death. It is late  in day. Same deal with east.

If you do not see sun both ways, it is mid day.