Sign in to follow this  
TEST_SUBJECT_83

The Chest Holster and it's amazing potential it could bring to DayZ!

Ok, I have mentioned a couple of these ideas in a response to a different post awhile back, but I want to make it's own topic because I have what I think are some really good possible benefits that the chest holster can have if you choose to wear it over a vest with 8 slots.

First thing I want to talk about is switching to a side arm.

As it stands you dont really have one. The way I see a side arm is a backup weapon that can be pulled out quicker than reloading, mostly when you dont have a backup magazine. So I was thinking once you run out of mags you can double tap "R" (reload) to pull out your side arm immediately so you aren't screwed when you run dry of ammo. I was first thinking that it should be pulled out automatically once you run out of mags but thought giving the fact that Dayz has Arma's amazing key mapping abilities, why not give the option.

My second idea is while running or sprinting if wearing the chest holster you can pull your sidearm out while holding Alt so you can shoot and run at the same time. You would be horribly inaccurate, but the ability to fire all around yourself while running in a strait line is a must have IMO.

My next idea is the same as the second but applies to ladders.

If your climbing up a ladder in DayZ you are as vulnerable as taking a shit in a field, so why not be able to pull out whatever pistol you have in your chest holster to defend yourself while on ladders? It would work just like sprinting or running. While on a ladder if wearing the chest holster you hold down Alt and double tap "R" (reload) you will pull out you pistol, but unlike when running you will only hold your sidearm for as long as you have Alt pressed. Once Alt is released you quickly put your sidearm away and can continue up or down the ladder.

My last and one of my favorite ideas for the wonderful chest holster is allowing you to fire your sidearm while still holding your primary in your left hand.

So you have your M4 and your strolling along and you see a zed, that you want to kill but don't want to make any noise.

Since your wearing the chest holster and have an FNX45 with a (working) silencer on it you can double press "R" (reload) but continue to hold on the second press which allows you to hold your primary in your left hand while you momentarily pull out your sidearm, you you can quickly pull of a few shots while holding down "R" then once you let go of "R" you immediately holster your sidearm and put you primary back into both hands.

So what do you all think?

I myself love these ideas and would really like them in Dayz.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 2

Seems an ok idea but i don't know why you don't just assign a certain hot bar slot to "Rx2" and only put you Pistol into it.

Seems an ok idea but i don't know why you don't just assign a certain hot bar slot to "Rx2" and only put you Pistol into it.

As it is I'm sure you can. The only problem is it takes an ungodly amount of time to put away your rifle, then take out a pistol. I feel this is going overboard but it would be cool if we could find different slings that could reduce the equip times for certain weapons. A 3-point sling for an M4 is pretty standard. 

As it is I'm sure you can. The only problem is it takes an ungodly amount of time to put away your rifle, then take out a pistol. I feel this is going overboard but it would be cool if we could find different slings that could reduce the equip times for certain weapons. A 3-point sling for an M4 is pretty standard. 

Overboard?...really?...explain please.

I find pressing "2xR" to quickly pull out whatever pistol you have in the chest holster quite simple and efficient.

Thats basically all I was suggesting.

Only it acts differently when you have a primary in your hands already or if your running, or climbing a ladder

Forget about the controls for now, those can be whatever, I'm just talking about

when you wear a chest holster it allows you to use your pistol quickly in tight situations.

No offence at all, but I fail to see what is so "overboard" about this idea?

Like I told BobDa, forget about the controls and just look at the idea and how it would help in the game.

It could be the hotbar key of your choice. I just thought "R" would be in a better position, but controls can be remapped so it really shouldn't be an issue at the idea stage.

Edit: Double post, my bad,  should have used MultiQuote.  :P

Well i dont like the fact that you can hide the gun, you should be able to hotkey a pistol only if you wear a holster. Pistols or sawoffs should not work when in the backpack.

Overboard?...really?...explain please.

I find pressing "2xR" to quickly pull out whatever pistol you have in the chest holster quite simple and efficient.

Thats basically all I was suggesting.

Only it acts differently when you have a primary in your hands already or if your running, or climbing a ladder

Forget about the controls for now, those can be whatever, I'm just talking about

when you wear a chest holster it allows you to use your pistol quickly in tight situations.

No offence at all, but I fail to see what is so "overboard" about this idea?

I should have worded it better, I think my sling suggestion was going overboard. Holsters are already in and it makes perfect sense to be able to equip faster when a gun is stored in one. The time it takes to drop a can of beans and pull out your pistol leaves me screaming at the screen most times. I'm just not sure how difficult this would be to implement for the programmers. I'm guessing the equipping time is set in stone and any changes to it will have to be done by starting from scratch... again.  

• Like 2

i like the idea of aiming while running, sure it will be inaccurate as hell but it may still stop one from chasing you.

What really needs to be changed is the time it takes to get your pistol out of different clothes.

- If you have it in your backback you should have to stop and get it out, takes longer

- Pants, Jacket, Vest you can get it out while moving and its faster

- Chest-Holster you can imidiatly pull your gun if you have nothing in your hands, even while running

the time it takes to get other stuff out of your containers should change as well...

for example ammo, if you reload your gun with bullets out of the backpack you have to stop/slow down and it takes a long time, if you have them in your pants it should be way faster...

• Like 4

Can I suggest the OP tries to climb a ladder while he has a hand grasping something else...

Can I suggest the OP tries to climb a ladder while he has a hand grasping something else...

Well in the real world nobody who climbs ladders a lot uses the rungs with their hands. I was a painter for a while and had to carry all kinds of awkward/heavy things up ladders. Just grip a side with one hand and and slide it up as you ascend. It's really not that difficult, and you have constant 3-point contact with the ladder.

I don't know why I just went into so much detail about ladder climbing. 

• Like 1

Well i dont like the fact that you can hide the gun, you should be able to hotkey a pistol only if you wear a holster. Pistols or sawoffs should not work when in the backpack.

I agree, unless they implement what Sonic-NKT said and give it different times depending on where the gun is located.

The only problem I see is the amount of work that I would expect to be required based on what I've seen of the engine. Engines like BFs or CoDs are more suited to the faster paced playstyle this supports, but I've played with this engine since the original operation flashpoint from the original xbox, and I feel there are just too many limitations that would make doing this absolute hell. Even if it were done, it would not be as fast nor useful as you would want. I see it being right now no different than the animation to get off the ladder, you float on the ladder instead of falling and can turn as you would off ladder, and have to repeat the getting-on ladder animation all over. It might look more refined if implemented, but the actual action would take about the same amount of time.

The real way to be the safest on a ladder? make some friends and have them watch your back, or better yet, have them climb the ladder for you and watch them get shot, kill the shooter and get two bodies to loot for the price of one!