Human Hunter

Why Was Music Removed?

After having played the mod for a year or so, I recently purchased the standalone. I enjoyed all of the improvements but one thing that really struck me as odd and annoying is the removal of the ambient music in dayz. I seriously cannot understand why it was removed because it feels like part of dayz's soul is missing. It doesn't feel like the same game and honestly makes me not want to play it.

right now in the standalone all i hear is random sounds that seemingly come from nowhere. If music was removed for realisms sake i honestly think that is a poor design decision. There is no way to get this game real enough to forget that you are still playing a game. Without ambient music the mood of the game changes from being a heart pounding thriller to a boring running simulator.

and if you aren't a fan of the music, you can turn it off in the audio settings. I dont see why its gone. all it does is trade suspense for boring.

Edited by Human Hunter
  • Like 1

That's crap, lend me the equipment I will make the music for free. Ambiance is the soul of a story. Without it, it's just... empty. 

Edited by AsHawkins
  • Like 1

Could be they were going for the real feel, do you hear theme music in real life. I don't lol

• Like 1

come back... :(

This is amazing. Why don't they use this? I want the chill feel, the horror feel, the "What the F***?!" feel. Like I'm going to see a Zed slopping up the face of a corpse in the next couple meters.

• Like 1

I do believe that Rocket talks about why they didn't bring back the music in one of his livestreams.

Music, while not realistic, can still be quite the tool for immersion.

>.> Im a fan of 'In the house in a heartbeat.' from 28 days later....mmm.. John Murphey the composer for that one? I think. Anyway! Gets me psyched for more DayZ!

Or some of them creepy vibes tracks from Silent Hill.

A low priority of mine, mind you, because I tend to play my own tunes. However, I would give any music packaged with the game a fair shot.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

If it was in the Standalone I would do the same thing I do in the MOD....go to the options and turn it off.

But,

since it was a part of the original I feel it should still be in the Standalone, but turned off by default to portray the realism that the Standalone is doing so well.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

After having played the mod for a year or so, I recently purchased the standalone. I enjoyed all of the improvements but one thing that really struck me as odd and annoying is the removal of the ambient music in dayz. I seriously cannot understand why it was removed because it feels like part of dayz's soul is missing. It doesn't feel like the same game and honestly makes me not want to play it.

SA is not the Mod. They are completely SEPERATE products. Music wasn't removed. There never was music in the SA.

just suggest they put radios in cars when they come around, then you can roll around elektra blaring your hiphops and your gangster raps

• Like 2

First thing I did in the Mod was disable the music. In fact first thing I do in any game is disable the music. Ruins immersion for me and I prefer to be able to hear everything that's actually in the game rather than some dude in a studio hammering a metal plate.

• Like 4

Could be they were going for the real feel, do you hear theme music in real life. I don't lol

this is a video game

it will never ever be real, it needs some extra kick to produce suspense/terror just like all forms of visual entertainment. aka it needs music. There is literally no downside to putting in the old music. you can always turn it off...

No point of paying someone to produce tracks if a vast majority of people disable it. 

they already have the music from the mod.

• Like 1

SA is not the Mod. They are completely SEPERATE products. Music wasn't removed. There never was music in the SA.

they are separate products

but the game is the same.

well, the standalone is actually a huge downgrade.

I honestly think that removing dayz's music was a boneheaded decision, that will end up making a lot of people who played the mod not enjoy it as much. I may not even play it until they fix things up more. 

• Like 1

I really like this game and have high hopes for it, so I am a bit tired of amateur hour with rocket's team. Their handling of the development of Dayz has been painfully disappointing. 

this is just a fundamentally bad decision that is going to cost them in the long term.This game will produce less realism and immersion without music. thats just the nature of video games. 

Edited by Human Hunter

I do believe that Rocket talks about why they didn't bring back the music in one of his livestreams.

does anyone know why?

new players are not going to get attached to this game without first being immersed in a zombie thriller. you need music to do that there is no way around it.

Edited by Human Hunter

We must remember that Developers have lives and wives of their own. We all know how women can be when it comes to spending time on other things.... Not like from personal experience or anything. 

But I don't know if they are even looking at the forum, I rarely see a developer comment on a suggestion when that's really who we try to appeal to. They look at Reddit all the time it seems. I don't mean to sound like I know what they are watching. I am just saying, It's like they don't pay attention to suggestions.

Just complaints.

This is still Alpha, don't give up. They'll get the engine straightened out, and will start coding and designing further.

this doesnt seem to be something that is limited by development constraints

its a design decision they made to remove the music (or atleast that is what i have been reading). they fiddled with something that wasn't broken and made a huge problem for the game.

im a huge dayz fan and this irritates me to no end. if a player truly wanted more realism they could turn the music off in the settings. removing dayz's soundtrack only takes away from the game. 

Edited by Human Hunter
  • Like 1

they already have the music from the mod.

No they don't. The Mod is not SA. The Mod is a non-commercial product created under the BI Modding license for ArmA II. The SA is a commercial product that is NOT being released under that same license. Any music that they do include in the SA will need to be licensed for a commercial product.

So once again, THEY HAVEN'T REMOVED ANYTHING! THERE WAS NO MUSIC TO REMOVE FROM THE SA!

• Like 1

man, you need to work on your ocd and your logic skills

dayz is dayz

so its an issue of money?

Edited by Human Hunter

Mos1ey's guide to setting up a new game...

1) Turn the graphics settings all the way up.

2) Turn the mouse sens and music volume all the way down.

3) ?????

4) Profit.

Honestly, I don't know anyone that plays games (other than L4D because the music notifies you of hordes, tanks etc.) without disabling the music. It makes it difficult to hear vital in-game sounds like footsteps, comms or distant gunshots and generally gets in the way. Also people that don't think to disable the music are at a big disadvantage IMO.

• Like 1

Another poster nailed it, I think: Why pay someone for their music when nearly nobody has it on by their second week (or even day) of play? But there will be other factors contributing to the decision. They might not want to pay royalties for the music, or the artist producing it might have revoked their right to use it, etc, etc. Couldn't hurt to post it in an FAQ thread or some such. The devs seem pretty responsive to the playerbase.