Sign in to follow this  
Gimpylung

No Surrender types

Some badass mofos in here.. I like the whole "I wouldn't surrender to anyone in real life, why would I do it in a game?" mentality. You really think that if someone came up to you and pistol whipped you in the head, you would just tell then to fuck off and try to punch them. Get real people, the only purpose in life is to live and 99.9% of mankind will do anything to live another day.

Darker sides of the human condition manifesting in games, I don't like.

I don't know how many interviews you have seen where Dean "Rocket" Hall talks about his game, but he has said numerous times in the past that this is one reason he made it. The emergent gameplay allows us to see how different sides of people come out in a game designed to be stressful and without rules.

Some badass mofos in here.. I like the whole "I wouldn't surrender to anyone in real life, why would I do it in a game?" mentality. You really think that if someone came up to you and pistol whipped you in the head, you would just tell then to fuck off and try to punch them. Get real people, the only purpose in life is to live and 99.9% of mankind will do anything to live another day.

No dude, it's unlikely to happen to me in real-life.. i.e. get held up by someone with a pistol. I'm talking about the more common real-life experiences that are analogous to the mechanics in a game. An asshole of a boss, the classic schoolyard bully etc.

Ofc I'd submit to someone aiming a gun at me in real life, but I'd tell my boss to get lost and stick his job if unfair demands were made of me. I'm not a victim in typical real-life instances, why on earth anyone would want to be one in a game is beyond me, the guns in the game aren't real, ya follow, you can be the nutter in those cases.

i don't surrender. id rather die and all of my gear get ruined than have it fall into the hands of some lazy bandit.

This is why people KoS.  Make this post a sticky.  That lazy bandit you just rushed at with your fists, who probably killed you, is now the topic of your (likely) next "OMG KOS IS SO DUMB" thread you're bound to make after this repeatedly happens.

People bitch about KoS, but as you can see demonstrated by this gentleman, most people probably just put their fists up and rush proper bandits - causing them to kill.

Step 2 is then bitching on the forums every subsequent time you get KoS'd because proper bandits are tired of people trying to knock them out.

You guys crack me up sometimes.  You complain that everyone kills on sight and kill on sight ruins the game and that the term bandit means someone that killed you (lol it doesn't), then you try to fist fight them when proper bandits try to perform bandit-y things on you.

It's very simple.  Either we will have bandits and people who cooperate, or kill on sight because everyone is a moron.

You choose.

PS: That "lazy" bandit, put in far more work and risk trying to hold you up than any moron KoS player would.  Food for thought.

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 1

I don't know how many interviews you have seen where Dean "Rocket" Hall talks about his game, but he has said numerous times in the past that this is one reason he made it. The emergent gameplay allows us to see how different sides of people come out in a game designed to be stressful and without rules.

Isn't it a bit tragic then that this is the only real emergent thing in the game of note so far.

Hopefully they're will be less of this crap and we'll see more positive aspects of human nature surfacing when the environment becomes the enemy and we might be glad to see another player coz he might have matches and you might have a stove.

This is why people KoS.  Make this post a sticky.  That lazy bandit you just rushed at with your fists, who probably killed you, is now the topic of your (likely) next "OMG KOS IS SO DUMB" thread you're bound to make after this repeatedly happens.

People bitch about KoS, but as you can see demonstrated by this gentleman, most people probably just put their fists up and rush proper bandits - causing them to kill.

Step 2 is then bitching on the forums every subsequent time you get KoS'd because proper bandits are tired of people trying to knock them out.

You guys crack me up sometimes.  You complain that everyone kills on sight and kill on sight ruins the game and that the term bandit means someone that killed you (lol it doesn't), then you try to fist fight them when proper bandits try to perform bandit-y things on you.

It's very simple.  Either we will have bandits and people who cooperate, or kill on sight because everyone is a moron.

You choose.

cooperate? i don't think so, if you pick a fight with me i fight back.

You choose.

Thanks m8, this isn't really a KOS thread, theres loads of those you can contribute too if you like.

Isn't it a bit tragic then that this is the only real emergent thing in the game of note so far.

Hopefully they're will be less of this crap and we'll see more positive aspects of human nature surfacing when the environment becomes the enemy and we might be glad to see another player coz he might have matches and you might have a stove.

I feel for you if it's the only kind of interaction you have had, but I have had some pretty awesome interactions with other players so far in 120 hours of play in the standalone and countless hours of play in the mod. Happy stories are not guaranteed, but it's the reason I keep coming back.

cooperate? i don't think so, if you pick a fight with me i fight back.

Ok buddy.  Then grats on proving my point.

I feel for you if it's the only kind of interaction you have had, but I have had some pretty awesome interactions with other players so far in 120 hours of play in the standalone and countless hours of play in the mod. Happy stories are not guaranteed, but it's the reason I keep coming back.

This.  I experience far more positive interactions than negative ones (And I don't mean friendly or unfriendly, I mean positive in the way that the other players are immersed in the game too.  Negative being the retard is spamming a dumb song over comms and running around pantsless and combat logs once you shoot at him or something).

It is really interesting to see how different people play this game. I have been held up (in game) a few times and I decide by the way the other person or persons behave themselves on voice chat if I play along or not. Some enounters have really been entertaining :) . If its too weird for me or I assume the other person to be an idiot I either run or fight.

There are however things that worry me. It is a sondbox game sure, but I am not sure it needs fecies.... (someone posted they were in the files)...makes me wonder where this is headed :unsure:

that's me all over, I got shot in the face for giving my would be kidnappers the middle fingered salute the other day, no way I was putting my hands up...

Thanks m8, this isn't really a KOS thread, theres loads of those you can contribute too if you like.

Oh trust me, I know there are.  I only brought up KOS once because it was relevant. 

I wouldn't accept being bullied in real life, certainly not goin to allow it to be simulated in a game.

The main deference is that in real life when two guys are aiming guns and have the drop on you, you tend to be a lot more cooperative as you stand to lose your life and not just some pixels ;-)   

• Like 1

that's me all over, I got shot in the face for giving my would be kidnappers the middle fingered salute the other day, no way I was putting my hands up...

Well aren't you a badass.  You died because you were so badass.

• Like 1

The main deference is that in real life when two guys are aiming guns and have the drop on you, you tend to be a lot more cooperative as you stand to lose your life and not just some pixels ;-)   

Read the 28th post m8

There are however things that worry me. It is a sondbox game sure, but I am not sure it needs fecies.... (someone posted they were in the files)...makes me wonder where this is headed :unsure:

I believe Rocket has said that faeces are being added as a vehicle for diseases like E. coli and dysentery. However, this being a sandbox game, and with all objects soon having physics, you can probably expect to be force-fed faeces or have them thrown at you.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

I believe Rocket has said that faeces are being added as a vehicle for diseases like E. coli and dysentery. However, this being a sandbox game, and with all objects soon having physics, you can probably expect to be force-fed faeces or have them thrown at you.

Abu Ghraib here we come.

This is what I was afraid of. I really hope this will not be possible. However I am afraid it probably will be.

I was in the military jail in cherno apartments one night. A voice comes over direct, "Drop your gun and come down the stair."

I thought he sounded like a teenage punk.

I said, "Uh, that's not happening."

His response, complete and total silence. I think I heard him crap  his pants.

I walked slowly to the steps and when he poked his head around, 5.56 right in the face. He had so much good shit. He didn't even need my stuff.

To that dude:

If you are going to rob someone in a military building, you better come correct with guns blazing. Why in the hell would I possibly drop my gun and submit to you? 

Edited by Dr. Goner

I go for the KO every time now. Something about my demeanor makes would be bandits think twice about keeping me around. I take it as a compliment, but it'd be nice to RP captivity at least once.

I hear ya about real-life and submitting for good reason. But this is a game and its the bullyboy aspect that has emerged that I have a bigger issue with. Give them nothing, they'll be better real life people for it.

You have to be trolling....there is no way you are not trolling....Better people in real life for it?....You remember this is just a game right?

You are really missing out on the human interaction if you just rush people with your fists instead of cooperating and putting your hands up.

Me and my buddies like to rob people, much more fun than killing people. But we also give freshies canteens, food, and stuff like that. One of the guys in our group we actually met when we held him up, we decided he was nice so we gave him some stuff and he tagged along and now he is one of my steam friends.

I've run into a few people like the OP, never want to cooperate either running away or trying to rush us with a melee weapon or their fists. I'm just gonna say that when ever meet someone who doesn't cooperate, I just put a bullet in them and to me they deserve it. These are also probably the same people who whine on the forums about KOS all the time. 

• Like 1

So I see a lot of videos of people surrendering at the point of a gun, allowing themselves to handcuffed, their gear taken and becoming a victim.

Whaaaaaaa???

I will attempt to close range and beat you to death with a flash light if thats all I have.

I will die gloriously in a hail of gunfire decked out hopefully in a set of ruined gear.

1 time in 100 I'll get you. 

There must be others like me? i.e. people with self respect.

I wouldn't accept being bullied in real life, certainly not goin to allow it to be simulated in a game.

Emergent gameplay is cool, just a shitty way it's manifested itself in this game.

Maturer folks won't take it seriously and says its all a bit of a laugh and people are just playing roles, but what about an impressionable 14 year kid who discovers dominating someone is a valid and rewarding tactic.

And I'm not faulting the game, love it. But die with your boots on and don't be no victim(even in a game of pretend)

thats why this game needs work 90% of people would not realistically say YOLO they would comply....

• Like 1