Sign in to follow this  
savini

A Wrecked Mind

The Final Moments of a Wrecked Mind

It was not but five minutes ago I had the world at my fingertips, but now...I can hardly feel them. My hand feels cold. The wooden grip of my magnum is slippery. It takes all of my strength to keep the revolver in my hand. My legs outstretched in front of me, bloodied and torn, I sit in the corner...waiting. Waiting to be reborn a monster. This is the cruel hand that fate has dealt to me. Around me are the corpses of two of my friends. Plus another rotted corpse beside me. It appears to have been decaying for weeks and what skin it does have is tough and leathery. The smell is putrid. I think I see a notepad on the coffee table. Excite rushes over me. There is a pen in the pocket of my re-killed companion. Grabbing the pen I scoot over to the table. 

"I had been on the road for days trying to get back to my apartment near Chernogorsk. I've had to do...things...along the way. Things I am not proud of. I'm sure whoever finds this will understand what I mean. I'm sorry for what I've done...and all it did was prolong the inevitable fate of all of us who dare to continue live. How dare we not step aside for the newest evolution of mankind. We cannot reclaim the throne. It is gone forever. Lost to the beasts that roam the streets...and lost to those who still live. Our souls were ripped from us, taking our humanity with it. Indeed there are monsters outside, but they are nothing compared to the monster within."

I set the pen down and lean back against the wall. Can you see the darkness creeping in? I feel around for my revolver. I can hardly see a thing now. The rugged texture of the revolver handle is soothing. I can hear footsteps now. Anxiety sets in...all I can think about is how badly I want the revolver in my hand. The footsteps draw near...something is in the hallway. I can barely lift the revolver. Wait...are those voices I hear? Real speaking voices? I force every ounce of strength into my arm and hand slowly pulling the revolver up.

"Someone there?" A voice calls from right around the corner.

I can only muster a short, guttural grunt.

I can see a silhouette. A little silhouette...of a man.

The revolver slips from my hand.

It appears the man lowers whatever weapon he had.

I take a deep breath. Contorting my mouth, I'm able to beg for what I want most.

"Release me..."

The vague shape hesitates...is he raising his weapon? I can barely whisper...

"come sweet death...I am waiting for your br..._____________________________________________________

• Like 3

Thanks for checking out my Day Z inspired fan fiction.

Thoughts, comments, criticism, praise, wisdom, spontaneous combustion are all welcomed and encouraged.

[also: Beans for spotting the references!! Cheers]

Edited by Rhodes

Good yarn :D

One of the few bits a DayZ cannon there is indicates that survivors are immune so "...waiting to be reborn a monster" would have to be the character not knowing the ins and outs of how what causes the zombies.

Good yarn :D

One of the few bits a DayZ cannon there is indicates that survivors are immune so "...waiting to be reborn a monster" would have to be the character not knowing the ins and outs of how what causes the zombies.

Thanks!

I did not know that. In my head I assumed ...a couple things actually. I was thinking that it was the standard "you're bit, you're infected" and eventually you'd turn.

I also meant for the character to know that he would turn because of his experiences out in the world. Like he had witnessed his pals reanimating, but reading back I notice I didn't specify that very well.

Great! Thanks for the input.

was nice to read

:D

tl; dr

...I get that. I also like to find a sites where the primary platform of communication is text...and just click around. Words are hella boring. Especially if there are way too many of them.

In fact, one might argue that long stories are like the ArmA series. There is a shit ton of controls, mechanics, details about ballistics, multiple crew positions, BUTTONS...all sorts of stuff on a gigantic map.

So for the fans that want something a little more like CoD...here is the condensed version. Enjoy!

Yo dudes, I'm totally fucked up and dying. My big ass gun is super heavy. Oh, and there are dead people around. I'll write a note.

"dear everyone, life sucks."

I am SO gonna die, lol. I think I hear someone coming. Pew pew, I'm dead.

:P