Sign in to follow this  
jubeidok

Loot spawning is too formulaic

I also think that loot spawn should change a bit... but well its an early alpha so i dont mean do it now but play arround until beta is reached.

Military Loot should mainly spawn at military sites, but the outbreak did allready happen so you should also find it (very rare) at other places where a surviver died..  but in general military stuff should be very very rare, at the moment almost everyone runs arround with an m4 if he played a few hours...

The same goes for other weapons, pistols should mainly spawn at locations where they belong (Police Station for example) but the should also appear on other locations from time to time. 

It shouldnt be that easy to find a weapon because they are rare, especially ones in good shape. but players who look at "hidden" places (like lonley house in forest) should be more rewarded for exploring the map as well.

When i started with the standalone i always went for such places and was always disappointed..

When they add more civilian weapons to the game those should also spawn more in smaller villages, hunting homes or barns. I think those weapons dont belong in big citys, firestations or policestations.... dont get me wrong, not every small villages should be filles with shotguns but the should be more common there than in the big cities.

Its survival, big cities should mean many zombies but also good left behind loot.... survivors went to smaller towns, remote house to survive, places that werent much populated, so you should find good loot at those places from time to time too.  reward the player for discovering and searching. It should be possible to get good equipment (not military style) without going to the airfields and big cities. Yes it should be harder but not impossible.

When im playing alone i avoid most hotspots and walk arround the rural area, i only found one weapon (mosin in barn after last patch) in those places yet, and believe me i looted alot of farms and small villages. No pistol, shutgun or anything...

this has to be adjusted

Edited by Sonic-NKT

this is a post-apocalyptic world.

chances are pretty high that units of resistance against infected have barricaded themselves in civilian structures, that retreating forces created strongpoints and caches in places  not originally meant as military outposts.

on the other hand, wandering survivor groups most probably brought the most trivial stuff into every corner of the game world.

so while it does make sense that military installations have a higher chance to yield military loot, and apartement houses a higher chance to spawn books, every single loot spawn in the game should have a chance of spawning every single item available in the game, with an appropriately tuned spawn chance

Edited by e47

There's something very broken in the loot spawning system. Some buildings that should spawn loot (according to the game files via dayzdb), never do. It's not that it's rare, its that I've genuinely never seen any despite checking dozens of them.

If all buildings were spawning loot properly, you could find military weapons in nearly every town (with very low chance, but it would be there). That would encourage people to disperse a bit, just like people checked deer stands in the mod. The chances of a good gun in them was low, but we tried anyway, and that got people moving around the map.

Currently the spawning works a bit weird because:

• Half of the buildings have a broken loot spawning system
  • The buildings that do spawn loot, will spawn loot too often
  • The amount different places within a building aren't that many, you aren't really required to search for food once you know where they can potentially spawn.
  • The amount of different items makes it so that we can keep all of our necessities in a single bag, we are not forced to make too many choices about what we take or don't take.
  • Rural areas need more spawns
  • Item condition is currently not a big deal yet
  • Without hordes of zombies, it isn't possible yet to make one area more risky than the other without having players conflict. Thus there is no risk versus reward.

Of course these are all things that will probably end up fixed, I'm not worried yet as it's a completely normal thing for an alpha.

Even if Dean announced that the airfields won't spawn loot ever again, people would still be fighting over them.

There's something very broken in the loot spawning system. Some buildings that should spawn loot (according to the game files via dayzdb), never do. It's not that it's rare, its that I've genuinely never seen any despite checking dozens of them.

If all buildings were spawning loot properly, you could find military weapons in nearly every town (with very low chance, but it would be there). That would encourage people to disperse a bit, just like people checked deer stands in the mod. The chances of a good gun in them was low, but we tried anyway, and that got people moving around the map.

My theory on that issue is that the loot is spawning under the floor. If you go to a castle, no loot, but go to the top and look at the underside of the top platform and you will see the loot. So if it's happening in he castles, I imagine it can be happening with other buildings as well.

Allow me to add a small tweak to the general consensus that military loot should have a higher percentage chance of spawning at the bases and such...

Instead of just at the base, can we expand that expectation to the surrounding area? So with NEAF as an example, you have just as good a chance of finding something military grade at the barn just north of the runway or in the big warehouse south of the hangers as you would at the AF itself.

I think this would make sense and also make it harder to camp said areas.